Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions
Options

Screen control via IO

Has anyone used the IO ports on a Netlinx product to control screen up/down.
I have a customer that wants to save a few dollars and use the IO ports on an NI700 to control his Draper screen.
It seems possible but I just want to know if anyone has done this.
Thanks
Kenny

Comments

• Options
    Yes, I have done it, seems to work fine. :)
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    You just have to watch the current draw. Other than that, there is no reason not to use them for a hot trigger. The rating for the IO on an NI chassis, for example is 200 mA @ 12 VDC. As long as the Draper trigger doesn't pull more than that (unlikely), you are fine.
  • Options
    KennyKenny Posts: 209
    DHawthorne wrote:
    You just have to watch the current draw. Other than that, there is no reason not to use them for a hot trigger. The rating for the IO on an NI chassis, for example is 200 mA @ 12 VDC. As long as the Draper trigger doesn't pull more than that (unlikely), you are fine.

I wouldn't think that it would draw that much either but I have never tried controlling a screen with an IO. Relays were always the norm.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Get yourself a pair of solid state relays, often referred to as SSRs or hockey pucks. They are a high-imedance input and will not attempt to draw enough current that would damage your controller. I beleive the IOs in output mode are open-collector, meaning that you would attach the positive side of both relays to positive voltage on the contoller and the negative side of the relays to the IO outputs.