Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Pretty much completely off topic

I realize this is off topic, but I thought the people in this forum would have some insight to my issue. I was wondering what others here tend to do with equipment that is pretty much outdated but still in great working order. Example: I have several pieces of audio/video gear (no AMX stuff, sorry) that are in good working order, but I really don't need anymore, since they are not currently being used and only taking up space in my small basement. They consist of a few VCRs, an old CD player, home stereo equalizer, some speakers, etc. This is stuff that wouldn't sell on eBay, I can't resue on a job, and pretty much everyone I know already has these things.
What do others do with stuff like this? I hate throwing these things away, but at the same time, I don't need them, and the technology is pretty much going the way of the 8-track. If anyone is interested in anything of the sort and is willing to cover cheap shipping costs, I'd be willing to donate these to someone who would actually use them.
Send me a message via the AMX forums and I can let you know details.

Thanks!

Joe

Comments

• Options
    Try freecycle.org which has groups all over where you can post stuff that's too good to chuck and not worth eBaying.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    As for Ebay, you would be VERY surprised what will and won't sell. Sometimes, I'll throw stuff up at 0.95 (or whatever the cheapest fee for listing is) and have the shipping calculated by zip code just to see if anyone wants it. At the same time, I'll be listing stuff that should sell with no prob. Most of the time, the sales go exactly opposite how I picture them. The stuff that should sell gets one or two bids and often times the stuff I never thought would sell winds up in a bidding war :)

Example, I had a couple trading card games I picked up on clearance at a hobby shop. There were about 5000 Star Trek cards and about 1000 Legends of the Burning Sands. I started the Star Trek at $10 for the lot and the LotBS at $2 for the lot. (a little less than they cost me). At the end, the Star Trek cards sold for $12.00 and the LotBS wound up in a bidding war and sold for $265.00! (to date my best ROI ;) )

The other option would be to donate the equipment to a charity and use it on your taxes. You'd be surprised what some inner city schools don't have or what 3rd world countries consider new.

Jeff
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    We have a used equipment showroom where we display a lot of the older stuff. There's always someone looking for a bargain, and since it's relatively well known we have this clearing house of used high-end equipment, people pop in all the time to look it over. Some of it even sells :). The best used market, by far, is high-end speaker systems. We rarely have speakers in for more than a week or two.

On the other hand, some stuff never sells. Old receivers, for example, unless they are something like a McIntosh. But if, for example, we get a trade in on an older Marantz receiver, if an employee doesn't want it for the spare room, it usually winds up in the dumpster. I've been trying to talk the boss into EBaying stuff like that, because I know there has to be someone who wants it, but he doesn't feel like it's worth the effort. It's one of the attitudes you build of working in a high-margin market for decades, I suppose.
  • Options
    funkfunk Posts: 18
    Give the stuff awat to family, friends, colleague, etc. You don't have to throw it away, and people could have a good use for them.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Try Goodwill or Slavation Army. Of course any good stuff that gets dropped off there is usually taken by their employees but the stuff that doesn't usually gets sold cheaply or given away to folks with out deep pockets.

Otherwise stuff that wouldn't fare well on Ebay could be sold in a yard or tag sale at someones residence.