Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

same projector, different results

so today I was testing various notebook computers by hooking up the VGA monitor out to a 50' VGA cable, the other end which was connected to a Sim2 HT305. Of the 5 I tested, 2 worked fine, and the other 3 it couldn't find a signal. A guy from Dell tech support suggested different laptops might output more power to the VGA out. He said 50' was pushing it without an amp.

anyone else experience this or get to the bottom of it?

Comments

• Options
    JoeJoe Posts: 99
    What make and model of laptop are you using? Most people in our company are using the Dell Latitude D610, and they have a known issue with the VGA output. Dell confirmed this and sent a tech out to replace my motherboard, since the VGA port is integrated.

Joe
  • Options
    I wonder if that known issue is hardware or software. I didn't write down all models that worked/didn't work but I know a dell latitude didn't work, and an old dell inspiron did. Another unidentified dell worked. An old sony didn't.

To complicate things, apparently some of these laptops worked (over a shorter VGA cord) to a cheap NEC projector. Unfortunately I was not around to supervise all tests.

With that knowledge, this post is a little vague, but I am thirsty for Laptop+VGA+projector knowledge. Particularly with length of cable since given all the facts, this seems like the most likely issue.
  • Options
    ColinColin Posts: 51
    50' from a laptop

You are really stressing the poor VGA output and I'd hate to think of what the Sync pulses look like ~ I would strongly suggest an Extron interface so that you can adjust the peaking & level to compensate for the cable losses.
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    i cannot use my VGA output from my laptop on ANY Sharp projector without using some sort of switcher/linedriver. So a direct cable from Laptop -> Projector wont work for me.
    When i hook it up to a plasma or LCD most of the times it works.
    Also a Dell for me, an Inspiron 510m, but i can't be arsed to get my mobo replaced :)