Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Flash Web Interface

I don't now if this sort of topic is already discussed in the past, but I was wondering if anybody has any experience in creating a web interface with Adobe (macromedia) Flash.
The reason why I'm interested in this is, first, that the graphical possibilities would be endless, well... enormous anyway :). Combine with video, animated buttons, skinnable, you name it.
Second, that the interface would be scalable to any resolution...
and Third the interface would be easily viewable on any flash capable device (phones, pocket PC's, etc.)
I have some experience in Flash programming, but don't even know where to,for example, begin to interface with the controller.

This might be a great project...

Comments

• Options
    VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Posts: 216
    a long time coming...

This is the type of interface that one should hope AMX is developing and researching internally, not relying on independent companies to come up with the answers for the best and most reliable interface to their controllers.

The other big control company has had an Active-X solution for several years now which works absolutely great and is very simple to integrate.

Even other recent control system companies are developing applet solutions based on web
    technologies that are readily available.

So why is AMX dragging their feet??????
  • Options
    GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    I've been working on a Flash interface off and on for some time now. I have it working but I'm trying to make it less complicated. I designed it so the Flash buttons also use port numbers like TP4. If I can find the time I will post some thing in the next couple weeks.
  • Options
    funkfunk Posts: 18
    GSLogic:
    That would be absolutely great! I'm really looking forward to get busy with something like that. Like I stated before, the possibilities with flash are awesome

VLCNCRZR:
    I think there is a financial issue here. AMX has got some fantastic touchpanels with loads of functions and graphical capabilities and can be displayed on a PC with VNC. So why develop the possibility to get the awesome graphics without one. They rather sell expensive TP's I recon. I'm not trying to beat on AMX. They've got some fantastic gear, but I think that's the way it is.

But I (and I think many people) want to do without these touchpanels and yet have a more vibrant, interactive touchpanel then TPDesign 3 can give me.
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    i dont get it. Whats wrong with the TP4 designs? Forget TP3, you can't compare flash against that...
    what i WOULD like to see is that AMX leaves Java behind, and also starts using something like ActiveX, and developes something that let's you build PocketPC apps from TP Design :)
  • Options
    Hi Yuri,
    There is absolutly nothing wrong with TPDesign 4 and the touchpanels that work with it. I praise the software and the G4 series... BUT... the touchpaneldesigns from TPD4 can not be exported to a web based standard (like in TPD3), so it can not be used online/on a PC without the use of a touchpanel and VNC. And flash can do similar things as TPD4 with a bit of creativity.
    So I want to use flash for 2 things
    1- The graphics and interactivity like a G4 panel, but without having to by an actual touchpanel (and save a couple of thousand euro's, yep euro's, I'm from Holland :))
    2- The abillity to use it across a number of different platforms and resolutions (PDA, Phone, PC, Mac, etc.)

If anybody knows of another method of doing those 2 things with a single solution, I'm open to suggestions, but like I said before, I love flash and have some experience with it.
  • Options
    TP4 and Flash are completely two different animals. You really can't even compare them. I'd love to be able to mix the two programs together, and then you'd have a touchpanel program to stop all others.

The main problems I had getting Flash to work with Netlinx was to find a design to use the same button numbers over and over and control the Page/Popups. For the button numbers I had to simulate ports in Flash such as pt02bt35, this will allow you to send the same button number but with different ports ala: TP4. As for the Page/Popups I use different layers in Flash to load the Popups as swf files in different layers. The down side is, you'll have to be good at Flash code because it's not easy to setup, but once it works it's solid.

I feel space age controlling my lights, shades and security from my telephone in my car, with two-way communication!
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    yuri wrote:
    what i WOULD like to see is that AMX leaves Java behind, and also starts using something like ActiveX, and developes something that let's you build PocketPC apps from TP Design :)

Myself I personnally prefer AMX solutions based on Java that is open and usable on any client platform such as linux and osx, or also Computer Control/Web Control based on open VNC than solutions of adverse company based on 100% proprietary Microsoft solution working only on that fake operating system named W*****S :D

Vince
  • Options
    vincen wrote:
    Myself I personnally prefer AMX solutions based on Java that is open and usable on any client platform such as linux and osx, or also Computer Control/Web Control based on open VNC than solutions of adverse company based on 100% proprietary Microsoft solution working only on that fake operating system named W*****S :D

Vince
    Flash works perfect on Mac. Even better than on a windows based PC ;)
    And again, the scalabillity and graphical capabilities of the TP3 java output are to limited and VNC on a pocket PC or phone is crap, so flash would be the answer.
  • Options
    alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    yuri wrote:
    i dont get it. Whats wrong with the TP4 designs? Forget TP3, you can't compare flash against that...

I'd also way rather have something that's compatible over multiple platforms like Java then something that's as restrictive as ActiveX.

For example way more cellphones can run Java then people who actually use PocketPC.
  • Options
    sure sure, something cross platform like Java sure is cool, but ONLY for the desktop.
    You could also add functionality to compile TP projects for PocketPC, PalmOS, so on, and use ActiveX for your desktop application.
    It's very noble to think about (all) the people that use Linux or MacOS, but be honest, how many companies are using Linux in stead of Windows....
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    yuri wrote:
    It's very noble to think about (all) the people that use Linux or MacOS, but be honest, how many companies are using Linux in stead of Windows....

Yuri, I think you should get out a little more, Linux and OSX are really present on market and not so small as you think it. Unless most people on PC use a software that is not a real operating system (Windows ;)) some people do :D In france, nearly all state offices are using Linux !

I really think it's always better for everyone to use open source and multiplatform solutions than completely proprietary ones that are running only on one OS (all the more when it's not the best ;)

Vinc
  • Options
    alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    yuri wrote:
    sure sure, something cross platform like Java sure is cool, but ONLY for the desktop.
    You could also add functionality to compile TP projects for PocketPC, PalmOS, so on, and use ActiveX for your desktop application.

Well i think Ideally you'd want more of a web type application that works across platforms without having to compile and install an application for each individual device that is going to use it. If for example you could serve up some Java aplets off a Netlinx master that would make it way more flexible the being tied into Active X.

We find about half our clients are using Macs. Now we are a residential company so perhaps those in the commercial sphere don't run into it as much as we do. It seems that most, if not all DVR units these days need an Active X control or a WIndows application installed to use/view them over the network and this has caused lots of problems for us.
  • Options
    vincen wrote:
    Yuri, I think you should get out a little more, Linux and OSX are really present on market and not so small as you think it. Unless most people on PC use a software that is not a real operating system (Windows ;)) some people do :D In france, nearly all state offices are using Linux !

I really think it's always better for everyone to use open source and multiplatform solutions than completely proprietary ones that are running only on one OS (all the more when it's not the best ;)

Vinc?n

this has nothing to do with getting outside more, im fully aware of the fact that Linux and OSX are present on the market but i'm also fed up with the problems i'm having with Java. Open Source is nice and cool, but if something else works better, I prefer that, it's THAT simple.
  • Options
    Guys, I'm getting the impression that the thread is no longer about creating a TP with flash (the initial reason for this thread), but has become a battle between OS's! All I wanted was an alternative webcontrol panel without the use of an actual AMX TP. But if the OS is more of an isue, this is my opninion.
    Flash can be used on both Windows and Mac OS. Windows is most widespread in the world with Mac OS coming in second. So development should focus on these 2 systems. Also, more and more formats are supported on BOTH the Mac and PC.
    Linux will still not become a big player in the near future. Specially not in big companies where you will find the most AMX systems.

I still would like people to check to startmessage of this thead though...
  • Options
    funk wrote:
    Linux will still not become a big player in the near future. Specially not in big companies where you will find the most AMX systems.

See Vincen ;) j/k

but you're right funk, we got a little carried away.
    for as far as i can remember i know there is someone how did Netlinx master control through PHP, and can't you invoke PHP commands using Flash?

And GSLogic, can you still post your stuff? thanks!
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    All you need to do is open a socket to the master and send stuff, and teach the master to listen on a certain port and parse the strings you're sending it.
  • Options
    yuri wrote:
    That would indeed be very helpfull
    mpullin wrote:
    All you need to do is open a socket to the master and send stuff, and teach the master to listen on a certain port and parse the strings you're sending it.
    I'm just brainstorming here, but if the TP resides on the controller itself, it could open a socket with flash actionscript: XMLSocket.connect( host, port ), where host is 0 (the same location as the flash movie) and port is 1319 (AMX)...
    XMLSocket.send( object ) could be used to send xml object commands to the controller itself that could be used by the program.
    I don't have a clue if I'm in the right direction, but that would be my first guess.
  • Options
    yuri wrote:

I want to set it up so the Flash app is using different ports to control relays so you can see how it works upon download. As of now its controlling my home, the files are huge and it wouldn't make much sense. I should have some time this weekend and I'll try to get it done.
  • Options
    alright, take your time :)
  • Options
    GSLogic wrote:
    I want to set it up so the Flash app is using different ports to control relays so you can see how it works upon download. As of now its controlling my home, the files are huge and it wouldn't make much sense. I should have some time this weekend and I'll try to get it done.
    That would be a BIG help. Just interested, GSLogic, but why did you start using Flash as an alternative to TP3 or another type of TP?

Mpullin's input is without a doubt correct and much appreciated, but just one step to far for me and my experience in the networking/programming/AMX combi.
  • Options
    funk wrote:
    why did you start using Flash as an alternative to TP3 or another type of TP?

SPEED!!!!! And wow factor, which is 99% of this business.

Years ago I created a Flash interface "HSFlash" for a small company called HomeSeer, a very good PC based automation system. The graphic were moving and changing... it was very cool! When I started to use TP4 I realized the limitations of the program in the graphic aspect, but like I said before TP4 is a very serious program that does much more than Flash in other fields. The whole concept of the ports is outstanding and Flash can't support ports (without some code work). And finally Flash is great! Its small is file size, runs very fast, communicates with databases and your imagination is the limit for graphic design.
  • Options
    sonnysonny Posts: 208
    I have developed a fairly extensive commercial app using Shockwave as a display device driven by a touch screen. All the data is in the Shockwave app and I pass it through the Netlinx controller to control button text, option selection, etc.

With this application, I have a piece of C++ glue code handling communication between the Shockwave app and Netlinx.

I don't think creating a defined protocol between Flash and Netlinx would be a big deal...and I think this would be an awesome tool as the PC should be a key player in an automation system. Also need a form-based web tool which may be easily accomplished with servlets in Duet...haven't tried it yet. The question is, would AMX support this, or see it as a threat to TP sales?
  • Options
    I have to wait to hear back from AMX on the Flash interface. Once I do I will post it.

I do agree that it's not the hardest thing to create a Flash interface for Netlinx, but it sure is strange that I've never seen one that worked.
  • Options
    sonny wrote:
    ...as the PC should be a key player in an automation system...
    I totally agree
    GSLogic wrote:
    ...I have to wait to hear back from AMX on the Flash interface. Once I do I will post it....
    I can't wait! :) But you need some kind of permission or approval or something to post te files??
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay but I finally posted the Flash app at:

http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?p=15083#post15083

I wanted to start a new thread just for GSFlash idea exchanges.

Hope you enjoy!
  • Options
    I can't access the link you provided. Don't have the proper rights it seems. Maybe because I'm a rookie user :)
    Any chance you can mail me directly or something??

Good idea, by the way, to start a new and clean thread.
  • Options
    GS created that new thread in the secret forum :-o
  • Options
    mpullin wrote:
    GS created that new thread in the secret forum :-o

I didn't even realize that I did that... sorry!

I re-posted it in the general section.
  • Options
    fragglefraggle Posts: 3
    I am not too familiar with flash but I did do something similar just using HTML so we could have feedback on the RTI K4/T4. It wouldn't be hard to convert to Flash I guess; I am not too sure how you would handle the feedback though.

http://www.rabonesystems.com.au/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=8&forum=3
  • Options
    fraggle wrote:
    I am not too familiar with flash but I did do something similar just using HTML so we could have feedback on the RTI K4/T4. It wouldn't be hard to convert to Flash I guess; I am not too sure how you would handle the feedback though.
    There are two possible approaches:
    1) Open a socket and maintain a connection to the AMX Master and have the Master tell your device when something changes
    2) Have your device periodically poll the AMX Master and build in a set of polls that allow your device to display the data you want

Each has its advantages and disadvantages. It depends on what kind of feedback you want to display, the nature of your device, network traffic, etc. GS's solution, for example, maintains a connection to the Master. If you were doing some communication based on HTTP, you would not really be able to maintain a connection seeing as how this violates the HTTP standard. So you would probably rely on polling in that case.