Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Extron swp123

I cant get it to work I even called tech support still not routing what to do.....

//switcher routing
DATA_EVENT [dvTP]
{
ONLINE:
{
SEND_COMMAND dvTP, "'SET_BAUD 9600,N,8,1 485 DISABLE'"
}
}

button_event [dvTP,30]
{
push:
{
send_string dvSwth, " itoa (input),' * ',1,' !' " //same as '1*1'
}
}

Comments

• Options
    HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    In my experience, most Extron switchers need a carriage return at the end of the string. Something like:

send_string dvSwitcher,"'1*1!',13"

Also, it is possible for the RS232 electronics on the switcher to go bad. If everything is hooked up correctly, the switcher should give a string return to the AMX when a manual switch is made on the switcher front panel.

Do you have the software disc that came with the switcher? For most of the Extron switchers I have seen, Extron provides a Windows application that can be used to control the switcher. Test the unit with this software to verify that the switcher and its rs232 section are working properly. If you don't have the disc, the software is probably available at the Extron site for down load.

All recent Extron units that I have seen take a straight cable -- there were some that needed a null, I believe, but I haven't seen one of those in more than a couple years and it was old when I saw it.
  • Options
    avi_daveavi_dave Posts: 62
    yeah I tried null straight but I dont know about that disc gonna check the extron site see if its available because I see the Tx light come up so I know its getting the string but not executing I even tried the carriage point with no success. I was thinking maybe it needed a all 5 wires 2 3 5 7 and 8.
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    avi_dave wrote:
    I cant get it to work I even called tech support still not routing what to do.....

//switcher routing
    DATA_EVENT [dvTP]
    {
    ONLINE:
    {
    SEND_COMMAND dvTP, "'SET_BAUD 9600,N,8,1 485 DISABLE'"
    }
    }

button_event [dvTP,30]
    {
    push:
    {
    }
    }
    You are sending the SET BAUD command to the TP in the ONLINE event of the TP. You should be sending the SET BAUD command to comm port in the ONLINE event of the switcher.
  • Options
    Joe Hebert wrote:
    You are sending the SET BAUD command to the TP in the ONLINE event of the TP. You should be sending the SET BAUD command to comm port in the ONLINE event of the switcher.
    Oh, that could make a difference.
  • Options
    yeah that would make sense under stress with this job man, thx guys, I also read that the np2000 modules would not work, so I need to umm use hex so ill take care of these two aspects and repost, again thx again guys.
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    I have an AXI file for the NP2000 that I wrote, it's not fancy but it works. Let me know if your interested trying it out.
  • Options
    jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    avi_dave wrote:

I realize it may be a typo, but the above is NOT the same as '1*1!'. It's actually sending '1*\x01!'. Putting the 1 outside of single quotes means to treat it as an integer, not an ASCII character, so you get ASCII character 1, which is a control code, and not what the Extron wants.

Should be:

send_string dvSwth, " itoa(input), '*1!' " // same as '1*1!'

Jeremy
  • Options
    nah its not the typo baud rate wires extron said to use specific cammands for this from there protocal pdf and im stuck cause none of them work prom im missin something
  • Options
    Wrong protocol!

I just downloaded the SWP123 manual from the AMX website and the command you are sending is not in it. I guess it's possible it's an additional command but it does not follow the standard format of all other SWP123 commands.

You are using the protocol for Extron matrix switchers; in the example you give, you are switching A+V from input 1 to output 1.

According to the manual, the correct command is

[MSxO01I01]

where x = 1 means VGA, 2 is S-Video, etc.

As there is only 1 output available I'm not sure what the O01 is there for and the manual just might be wrong in that respect.

The manual does not suggest that a closing CR is required.

The correct string to send to an Extron matrix switcher is

1*1!

where the third byte is ascii 1; you are sending, as Jeremy points out, binary 1.

A closing CR is not required.

I strongly suggest that you try typing the commands into a terminal emulator hooked to the device before you code it into your controller. That way you get the cabling, speeds and protocol right independent of any bugs in your code.
  • Options
    Yeah I found that out today after calling extron, I also tried typing the codes and I get no feedback from the switcher it doesnt repond
  • Options
    That means you have either the cable, speed etc or serial setting wrong.

Cable:

Try 2,3,5 straight through, and try swapping 2 and 3.

Speed etc:

The SWP123 can be configured for other speeds. Try a factory reset as described in the manual.
    When setting up your terminal emulator, ensure that you have flow control off.

Setting:

Also check the dipswitch settings as described in the manual which select RS232 or RS485..
  • Options
    I don't know where I got the idea, but for some reason I'd convinced myself that Extron SIS required a <cr>. Apparently not.

From the Extron site it appears that the SWP123 is one of the old Inline products. It is labeled as 'retired.' Me too.

If you go to the Extron page for this switcher:

<http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=swp123&gt;

and click the "download" button you will find a software program for the switcher. It would seem to me that if you properly connect a PC to the switcher and try to manipulate it with the software provided by Extron, if it doesn't work, it's likely a problem with the switcher.

I haven't read the manual completely, but it looks like there may be some hardware switches on the device that might need to be checked.

I think I like the newer Extron products better than the old Inline.
  • Options
    I got it :) I had to loop tx and rx on the switcher side because it wasnt responding to nuttin :) code if anybody like, im sure there is a shorter way but I was troubleshooting :)

(*switcher routing*)

data_event [dvSwth] //set transfer speed
    {
    online:
    {
    wait 3
    {
    send_command dvSwth, "'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1 485 Disable'" // send the string out to switcher
    wait 50
    send_string dvSwth,"'[ADDR02]'"
    wait 50
    SEND_STRING dvSwth,"'[CC02]'"
    wait 50
    SEND_STRING dvSwth,"'[CP1@]'"
    wait 50
    SEND_STRING dvSwth,"'[CP1?]'"

}

}
    }

button_event [dvTP,30]
    {
    push:
    {
    SEND_STRING dvSwth, "'[MS1O01I01]'"
    wait 20
    send_string dvProj, "$02, $03, $00, $00, $02, $01, $01, $09"
    }
    }

button_event [dvTP,31]
    {
    push:
    {
    SEND_STRING dvSwth, "'[MS1O01I02]'"
    wait 20
    }
    }
    button_event [dvTP,32]
    {
    push:
    {
    SEND_STRING dvSwth, "'[MS1O01I03]'"
    wait 20
    }
    }
    button_event [dvTP,33]
    {
    push:
    {
    SEND_STRING dvSwth, "'[MS1O01I04]'"
    wait 20
    }
    }
    button_event [dvtp,34]
    {
    push:
    {
    send_string dvSwth, "'[MS3O01I01]'"
    wait 20
    send_string dvProj, "$02, $03, $00, $00, $02, $01, $06, $0E"
    }
    }
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Hedberg:
    New Extron devices use $0A,$0D, old ones don't :)