Options

AMX panel internal functions

AMX touch panel feature request

I have always loved the level of "panel-internal" functionality
available on the MVP series.

The more I work with these panels, I wish they had some
advanced features that allowed an additional level of
"panel-internal" functionality.

These panels currently allow you to send commands to the master.
I would like to see the capability of sending a command internally
to the panel itself (other than page flips and popup effects).

It would be a nice feature to be able to tie any valid touch panel
command internally for any button that you desired.

It seems that this shouldnt be a big deal.

Comments

• Options
    jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    I believe this is what Command Port 0 is for -- loopback to the panel. Set your Command Port to 0 and you can enter any valid TP command in the Command Output field. I've never used it, so perhaps I'm remembering wrong...

Jeremy
  • Options
    VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Posts: 216
    How soon you forget when you dont use it.

DUH!

I should have remembered that.

Thanks for the reminder.

I'm sure glad it's Friday.
  • Options
    dthorsondthorson Posts: 103
    What would you use this for?

Press a button to send a string to a device without having to code the event in NLS?
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    dthorson wrote:
    What would you use this for?

Press a button to send a string to a device without having to code the event in NLS?

show popup pages without the need of an actual frame. For example for demonstration purposes :)
  • Options
    jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    I understand using command output for panel functions -- why are you sending commands to the master? Do you prefer that to using channel numbers and button_events?
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Good thread, I didn't know you could do this.

As for uses of this feature... maybe you could make a button that beeps 'BEEP', goes to the setup page 'SETUP', puts the panel in calibration mode '^CAL' etc. You could also build a volume control for the panel, but this wouldn't make much sense since the volume commands only accept discrete values (can only go to a certain volume level (no + or -), can only turn mute on (1) or off (0), no toggle).
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    A very good example to showcase the loopback commands would be AMX's InfoComm demo panel (go over to the panel section on amx.com and download it there.) There's feedback, page flips, popups, etc. It's actually a really slick panel (visually and functionally) and lays a great foundation on how to create a fully functional demo panel.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    mpullin wrote:
    Good thread, I didn't know you could do this.

As for uses of this feature... maybe you could make a button that beeps 'BEEP', goes to the setup page 'SETUP', puts the panel in calibration mode '^CAL' etc. You could also build a volume control for the panel, but this wouldn't make much sense since the volume commands only accept discrete values (can only go to a certain volume level (no + or -), can only turn mute on (1) or off (0), no toggle).

I've tried using the ^CAL command in a command output, and I strongly advise against it. I also advise against using your master to send this command to the panel. Nine times out of ten, the panel detects a press on it's own that never happened, so you get the second calibration crosshair without having actually pressed the first. When you then press the second, you wind up miscalibrating the panel so badly it becomes non-functional.

A method that does work well for the command port is calling up pages like the keypad and keyboard popups and populating the prompt fields. I use it all the time in live projects.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I've a good feature request for the panels.

it would be nice if the panel could allow you to assign a level to the battery level, battery quaility, link quality and a few others I can't think of right now. You can assign levels to all sorts of sensors and whatnot on the panel. However, they've chosen not to do so for the things I've mentioned.

I don't know how many times I've seen panels mis-docked or left of their charger. the clients say the panel is dead or worse they blow out the batteries. If I knew in the program that the panel batteries were getting low or that the link signal was somewhat weak, I could catch a lot of stuff going on. for example I could send an email to the client saying that the Living Room panel needs to be plugged back into its charger, or put a text message up on the other panels in the home. etc....

I suppose we do have a link level of sorts in the fact that if the Link level gets too low, the panel goes offline. However, a low-but-still-connected feedback would be very helpful too.
  • Options
    dust17dust17 Posts: 1
    Calibration

What do you do if you try to calibrate the panel and it doesn't respond to any touches after that? I pressed one crosshair and it got out of the calibrating screen and became non-functional. I have tried power cycling and reloading the programming. I have a MVP-8400i.
  • Options
    NMarkRobertsNMarkRoberts Posts: 455
    dust17 wrote:
    What do you do if you try to calibrate the panel and it doesn't respond to any touches after that? I pressed one crosshair and it got out of the calibrating screen and became non-functional. I have tried power cycling and reloading the programming. I have a MVP-8400i.

If you search for "calibrate" you will find this thread with the answer

http://amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=496
  • Options
    DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    ericmedley wrote:
    I've a good feature request for the panels.

it would be nice if the panel could allow you to assign a level to the battery level, .............

I don't know how many times I've seen panels mis-docked or left of their charger. the clients say the panel is dead or worse they blow out the batteries. If I knew in the program that the panel batteries were getting low or that the link signal was somewhat weak, I could catch a lot of stuff going on. for example I could send an email to the client saying that the Living Room panel needs to be plugged back into its charger, or put a text message up on the other panels in the home. etc....
    You can monitor the battery levels. On the last Boardroom job I just did the NXI does exactly this and scripts an email to the CEO's PA to advise that the panel is going flat and that 'it needs to be returned to the docking station'.

In our demo system it launches a .WAV file through the main sound system asking for the panel to be docked! Kinda cheesy, but cool to prospective clients!

With respect to battery quality, I guess if you wanted to you could build a routine that monitors dock/undock status and from that status work out how long the panel has been undocked for, then compare the current battery level to the time off the charger etc. etc.

This would enable you to determine some trends and if the battery performance is ok. ie. if the panel was docked for 8 hours, the battery levels report 'full'. Panel is removed for 4 hours, battery level reports 'half'. Test again every day etc Build your performance trend table.

6 months down the track the performance curve may diminish perhaps so that in the above scenario, the battery level after 4 hours of the charger might equal 'quarter' not half.

Don't think I'd ever bother doing it actually, but you could certainly do it!

Haven't played with the RF meter apart from dragging them out to the users help page
  • Options
    JohnMichnrJohnMichnr Posts: 279
    You can monitor the battery levels. On the last Boardroom job I just did the NXI does exactly this and scripts an email to the CEO's PA to advise that the panel is going flat and that 'it needs to be returned to the docking station'.

How do you do this - monitor the battery level from the master? I've been digging around a little and been unable to find anything.
  • Options
    JohnMichnr wrote: »
    How do you do this - monitor the battery level from the master? I've been digging around a little and been unable to find anything.
    Hi John,

Firstly assign a level port and level code which you will find in your TPD file under Project Properties>Sensors. Typically I use level port 1 and level code 8. Example based on this...
    level_event [dvMVP,8]
        {
        if (level.value < 10)
            {
            // Trouble at the mill. Fire an email, play a voice msg etc...your panel is about to drop off the twig
            }
        if (level.value == 128)
            {
            // Alert the media...your panel is two things. Half full, and half empty all at the same time.
            }
       }

As the level_event is driven by the panel, you might want to write some logic to stop the messages from running when it is charging. I copy the level and compare it. If the val is greater than stored level it must be charging - even if it is under 10, so don't fire a low battery msg etc. etc.

I'm sure you get my drift.

HTH
  • Options
    JohnMichnrJohnMichnr Posts: 279
    Ah - the one place I didn't bother to look. TP Design. WHy would you look for a touchpanel function in teh touchpanel design tool?

Hey - my panel is not only half empty, but dirty too.

Thanks!
  • Options
    JohnMichnr wrote: »
    Hey - my panel is not only half empty, but dirty too.

Thanks!
    Matches the code fragment I sent!

You're welcome!

:-)