Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Amx Vs Crestr0n

Hi...
I want to discuss - as an AMX sales engineer - "How to convince the customer to buy AMX systems if he likes Crestr0n in the first place... in other words, what can AMX offer to the customer and Crestr0n can't

:)

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Well one it doesn't run on a windows operating system that likes to crash.
  • Options
    SensivaSensiva Posts: 211
    WindowsOS??
    vining wrote:
    What do you mean?, you mean that ******** depends on WindowsOS in their handheld products?????
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Yep definitively all handheld products from C******N runs on Windows !! Modero Panels run on Linux which has proved since a long time to be a lot more reliable ;)

Vince
  • Options
    ekeppelekeppel Posts: 37
    I believe C******* uses an -embedded- XP in many of their touch panels, so it is a lot more robust than you might first think. Really, if you think about it, XP has come a long way from previous versions of Windows. Now don't get me wrong - I'm a huge Linux fan and have been running it off and on since pre-X windows, but I've also been running XP since it came out, and must say that I can't remember the last time I got a blue screen or hard crash on my laptop or home computer. And think how much more tightly the embedded versions are designed to run -- much less overhead and unneeded services in the background.

On the other hand, I can run off a list of dozens of times in the past couple of years that we have had customers call to complain that their linux-based AMX panels were locked up hard or had another serious problem requiring a complete reboot. Not to mention that the booting is Soooo slow, for example, on a MVP-7500/8400 when the customer leaves it out on the table overnight and then goes to use it the next morning. Now I don't blame this necessarily on the OS, but more on the firmware writers at AMX.

All in all though, I think that C******* has the right idea. They can focus on what they are good at and leave the design of these touch panels to other companies. It's a win-win situation for them, since they are using a very standard platform that has the backing of a much bigger company (Micro$oft). As a result, they have loads of options open to them on this platform, as well as a lot of different TP models to choose from many manufacturers, at much better prices for the consumer.

I guess I just think that AMX tries to do too much by itself, and pays for it in the end with products like the MVP-7500/8400 that really should be much better than they are today. I'm sure that with time they will learn from their mistakes, but we will have to wait for G5 products, it would seem. :(

--Eric
  • Options
    GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    I must agree with Eric and well stated.

We have lost residential customers to Crest0n because they thought Crestr0n is the home automation system (Kleenex/tissue). Crest0n advertising, reviews and reps are in your face and they are not afraid to play dirty.

Amx wins over Crestr0n because of the programming and in the end, that's what it's all about.
  • Options
    There is also the graphic part who is more easily customisable in AMX than C*****N. Take a look at the Vision Tools pro and compare to TPD4. This soft never change since 8 years. They just add png transparency support since 1 or 2 years. I think...
    The big difference is the price where c*****n is winning. You can have complete solution in ******** for small config as AMX need external hardware like matrix video and audio. For end users there is no big difference except prices. The difference is for the programmer and graphic designer with the tools they used and the time they need for middle to big project.
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    I can not count the number of times I hear your TP's are to costly. People look at value and if the product does what they want. A prime example of this is the number of people that can't tell the difference between a $1000 sound system and a $5000 sound system. Drop your panel cost. Make your name known. As mentioned above is that the other company name is well published and known. Have your design people ask what the home market is looking for. Well designed, engineered good looking product also helps to sell the product.
  • Options
    Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    Hmmmm... Methinks you're not terribly up to date on Cre$tron panels. :)

Whereas ALL of AMX's Modero panels run off Linux, only a HANDFUL of Cre$tron's panels have XP embedded. (Their Media Center models, specifically) The only reason those have XP is for the end user to be able to run applications like Explorer, Media Player, Word (viewer), Excel (viewer), PowerPoint and Acrobat.

(And gee - you can't do ANY of those on an AMX panel. For clients that might have even an INTEREST in those, I wonder which system they'll go for?)

The majority of their panels have a basic firmware set that does nothing but provide rendering of touch panel files and processing of button presses - more along the lines of the AMX G3 series...

- Chip

vining wrote:
  • Options
    alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    I find AMX more flexible in terms of architecture in that you can place master controllers anywhere on the network and easily talk from master to master. This is a lot harder in ********.

AMX has seemed to embrace open standards more. AMX controllers and touchpanels all support Ethernet, TCP/IP. From what I understand, Crestr0n can exist on the network but not as seemlessly as does the AMX stuff due to how their system architecture is designed. With the more open architecture it's easier to design and impliment services. RMS is miles ahead of Room View for example.

I think the graphics on the Modero's is better then the Crestr0n Panels and it's the same throughout the line.

Now for the smallish to medium sized projects it's hard for the AMX advantages, flexibility, easy customization, efficiency etc to really shine through. It's in the larger projects with multiple touchpanels and processors where AMX can save real time and money.
  • Options
    The solution...

Why don't both AMX and C******* just get together and merge, so we can have the best of both worlds?
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Chip Moody wrote:
    Hmmmm... Methinks you're not terribly up to date on Cre$tron panels.
    That is very true! And it's not just Cre$tron, there's alot I'm not up to date on. I fully agree with want you and Eric have said and I like windows and mcrosoft more than most but in the context of a sales pitch you want to point out the negative aspects of C all be it not representative of the entire product line. Similar to a MAC commerical putting down PC if your customers are Apple users this can be a useful sales tactic, C use windows, plain and simple. Does it have to 100% accurate, no, as long as it's not a complete mis representation.
  • Options
    ekeppel wrote:
    Why don't both AMX and C******* just get together and merge, so we can have the best of both worlds?

I think you mean "worst" not "best". Create a monopoly so that they don't have to bother any more? I don't think so.
  • Options
    Of course you're right... It was meant to be tongue in cheek, however. ;)
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I think that companies often times miss the mark on selling automation systems. C and AMX are both very capable and reliable systems when installed by qualified people. I think the focus in talking with the client is to highlight what you can make the product do to solve their problems. You should make the focus more of how you and your company are qualified and capable of making the system work reliably and easily. To be honest, I've seen Elan systems installed and running better than some AMX or C systems. Just because a system is capable of doing something, doesn't mean that the installer is able to implement the feature properly nor in a fashion that is easy and reliable. Also, just because you can, doesn't mean you should ;).

That being said, you could focus on the fact that the military uses AMX in it's mobile operations command center (see the article on AMX). I believe that there are also theme parks that have entire animatronic shows powered by AMX. The CDC uses AMX to increase speed and efficiency in monitoring and handling potential health disasters (or something like that ;) also an article on the AMX website). If AMX is reliable enough to coordinate missions in which peoples lives are at stake, it stands to reason that it can be programmed to reliably control a home theater.

If someone said that they like they idea of a browser on their touchpanel, you can offer them a dedicated computer to run VNC and allow browsing. I would pitch this as a more reliable implementation. Given the growing number of virii and malware programs targeting microsoft based operating systems and browsers, seperating the vulnerable browser aplication from the processor that controls lights, security and other essential functions in your home seems to make good sense.

Jeff
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Spire_Jeff wrote:
    I think that companies often times miss the mark on selling automation systems. C and AMX are both very capable and reliable systems when installed by qualified people. I think the focus in talking with the client is to highlight what you can make the product do to solve their problems. You should make the focus more of how you and your company are qualified and capable of making the system work reliably and easily. To be honest, I've seen Elan systems installed and running better than some AMX or C systems. Just because a system is capable of doing something, doesn't mean that the installer is able to implement the feature properly nor in a fashion that is easy and reliable. Also, just because you can, doesn't mean you should ;).

That being said, you could focus on the fact that the military uses AMX in it's mobile operations command center (see the article on AMX). I believe that there are also theme parks that have entire animatronic shows powered by AMX. The CDC uses AMX to increase speed and efficiency in monitoring and handling potential health disasters (or something like that ;) also an article on the AMX website). If AMX is reliable enough to coordinate missions in which peoples lives are at stake, it stands to reason that it can be programmed to reliably control a home theater.

If someone said that they like they idea of a browser on their touchpanel, you can offer them a dedicated computer to run VNC and allow browsing. I would pitch this as a more reliable implementation. Given the growing number of virii and malware programs targeting microsoft based operating systems and browsers, seperating the vulnerable browser aplication from the processor that controls lights, security and other essential functions in your home seems to make good sense.

Jeff

the windows xp that runs on crestr0n touchpanels is "read only". You can't install programs yourself and thus, virii have no effect on your hardware.
    I like both the AMX as well as the Crestr0n line of products. I prefer crestr0n in small settings (small conference rooms -> projector, dvd, screen, laptop) and prefer AMX for the bigger solutions.
    As stated before, Master to Master on AMX is pretty simple, but Intersystem Communication on Crestr0n is also very simple.

I also think it doesnt matter for a customer if a touchpanel runs Linux or Windows, or if something is easier to program than the other. Customer wants something that works the way he wants, be it Crestr0n, AMX, Extron, etc.

Concluding: i like Crestr0n as much as i like AMX, it's just that the AMX design tools are alot better :D
  • Options
    SensivaSensiva Posts: 211
    Nice replys guys, But...

Well, i have never dealt with crestr0n systems before, and i don't think i will, because i am kinda addicted to amx systems at the moment :), add for this it satisfies my programming desire.

on the other hand crestr0n equipments like tps and kbs has a wonderful good looking rather than amx's, which is a very hard thing to challenge.

And you all guys gave me a good view of the crestr0n systems, but.... i wanna know how tell the customer "come on man we are the best, amx can do .... and do .... and more but crestr0n cant."

i hope you got my point
    thanx to you all
  • Options
    JoeJoe Posts: 99
    I have been an AMX guy for over 7 years now, C******* for about 3. A major advantage AMX has is in TPD4 and the Modero panels. There is really no comparison (IMO) to the look and effects of a nicely programmed Modero compared to any of the higher-end C****** panels.
    One thing C****** has going for it is the QuickMedia line of equipment. In laying out an auditorium with multiple displays and source inputs, needing only 2 CAT5 cables to every location is much better than having to pull multiple RGBHV + Control + Audio cables to each and having to use a large Autopatch or Extron switcher.

Joe
  • Options
    Mohy wrote:
    Well, i have never dealt with crestr0n systems before, and i don't think i will, because i am kinda addicted to amx systems at the moment :), add for this it satisfies my programming desire.

on the other hand crestr0n equipments like tps and kbs has a wonderful good looking rather than amx's, which is a very hard thing to challenge.

And you all guys gave me a good view of the crestr0n systems, but.... i wanna know how tell the customer "come on man we are the best, amx can do .... and do .... and more but crestr0n cant."

i hope you got my point
    thanx to you all

i can't name anything that AMX can do that Crest0n can't (important things that is)
    The design tools are better, but customers don't care for that (i think)
  • Options
    All good points

1 more thing to add. Is the new TPMC-8X is a really nice Touchpanel that addresses a lot of the graphic issues. AMX used to have by far the best looking Touch Panels, but the 8X has raised ************ level to a point where there could be a debate. Another thing is it runs on 802.11a. Very handy in high rise buildings with lots of RF traffic.

I still like complete networks of AMX for their master to master comm, but I can do it with either if I'm forced to.
  • Options
    then again, AMX now has the MIO Remote line of remotes, which are VERY nice.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    AMX and C, for as long as I have been in the integration business, tend to leapfrog each other. For a while, people say the one has the a better product line, then a year later they are saying the other, and it goes back and forth. I fully expected C to catch up with panel design; my own feeling is that if AMX fixes the crappy plastic cases on the Modero line, they will pull ahead again.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote:
    AMX and C, for as long as I have been in the integration business, tend to leapfrog each other. For a while, people say the one has the a better product line, then a year later they are saying the other, and it goes back and forth. I fully expected C to catch up with panel design; my own feeling is that if AMX fixes the crappy plastic cases on the Modero line, they will pull ahead again.

I would add to that an implementation of some kind of web browser/applet that doesn't rely upon an external computer. The company that pulls that off will leap way ahead of the other.
  • Options
    JeffJeff Posts: 374
    I thought C's ISIS line could web browse without an external computer?
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Jeff wrote:
    I thought C's ISIS line could web browse without an external computer?
    You may be correct considering my lack of knowledge of the product.

As I understand you more-or-less have to switch over the the PC underpinnings to browse the web. It's like you have to switch over to it as opposed to just having an instance in a button. I could be very wrong on that mark.

ejm
  • Options
    We are bidding on replacing a large Crestr0n system and it was the first time I've really had a chance to play with the many different pieces of Crestr0n crap... I mean gear. I must be very bias, because I can't see how anyone could compare the two unless you're trying to save a few buck, which I'm sure will come back to haunt you in the end. And most important ******** programming is a joke!
  • Options
    On the "TPMC" series of panels, you have a slew of PC viewers/apps available, including internet explorer. You designate when/how it comes up and what size/area of the screen it takes up. No switching or anything like that - just comes up like a pop-up window.

- Chip

ericmedley wrote:
    You may be correct considering my lack of knowledge of the product.

As I understand you more-or-less have to switch over the the PC underpinnings to browse the web. It's like you have to switch over to it as opposed to just having an instance in a button. I could be very wrong on that mark.

ejm
  • Options
    Biased? You? Naaaah. Couldn't tell from your post. :)

- Chip

GSLogic wrote:
    I must be very bias,
  • Options
    GSLogic wrote:
    We are bidding on replacing a large Crestr0n system and it was the first time I've really had a chance to play with the many different pieces of Crestr0n crap... I mean gear. I must be very bias, because I can't see how anyone could compare the two unless you're trying to save a few buck, which I'm sure will come back to haunt you in the end. And most important ******** programming is a joke!

probably an old system? compare and old AMX system with a new crestr0n system ;)
  • Options
    yuri wrote:
    probably an old system? compare and old AMX system with a new crestr0n system ;)

Good point! Chip is right - I'm bias!

Has the programming changed?
    I need to be able to write code and not just drag images around.
    I guess I'm old school but I hate design tools that try to do everything for you and don't give you the option to get your hands dirty.
  • Options
    Holy cow - if you're talking about Vision Tools, then yes - the programming has changed. You can get plenty "dirty" with SIMPL Windows - where you have logic symbols that you tie together - and even moreso in SIMPL+, where you get to write procedural code like in NetLinx, THEN tie it in with the symbolic SIMPL Windows program.

- Chip

GSLogic wrote:
    Good point! Chip is right - I'm bias!

Has the programming changed?
    I need to be able to write code and not just drag images around.