Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

How to protect the sourcecode from being stolen?

Actually I'm working on the AMX with some other people (who knows AMX as well). I wonder how to protect my AMX device sourcecode (as well as the UI's from being grabbed by other parties?)

Is it true that if he knows the AMX master IP then he is able to access all the resources?

Also, I wonder if it's possible to retrieve the sourcecode by accessing the AMX Master?

Comments

• Options
    dthorsondthorson Posts: 103
    You can password protect the files when you download.

In NS look under Settings --> Preferences -->

Click on the Netlinx Complier tab, you will see the option to password protect the source.

I'm not sure about the panels

The best thing would be to put all your devices behind a firewall.
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    you can password protect the panel as well :)
  • Options
    Regarding the panel files:
    There are 2 levels of protection
    1) "Read only" - file can be opened by TPDesign4, but can not be modified. Same if you load it from panel. It is still possible to copy parts of the protected file into a new file.
    2) "locked" - file can not opened and so also not loaded to panel by TPD4 if you don't have the password. If you don't have the password, the only chance is to load it with NetLinx Studio or FileTransfer, because these tools do a "binary" transfer w/o opening the file itself.

You can set this in TPD4 in menu
    FILE -> PROJECT PROPERTIES, tab PROJECT INFORMATION, left lower corner.
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    dthorson wrote:
    You can password protect the files when you download.

Best and absolute protection is not to upload source code with program in master ! Password protection is not perfect as it's just a password used to build zip file containing source code, so someones who really wants to get them will succeed as you find on internet some programs to explode password protection of zip files ;)

Vinc
  • Options
    How about NetLinx security options?

You can also protect your system by enabling security. Via the web broswer interface to the master you can establish a login/password for all connections including Studio.
    Encrypt ICSP Connection:

If selected, this option requires that any data being transmitted or received via an
    ICSP connection (among the various AMX products) be encrypted, and that any
    application or hardware communicating with the Master over ICSP must provide
    a valid username and password.