Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Some "newbie" questions

Hey guys,
New to AMX here. I was given a NXI and NXC-ME as well as a AXB-IRS4 from a company that was moving. I know it's not the newest thing, but I'm a tinkerer and I'd love to set it up to control my home theater. I was able to connect to the NXC and set up the ethernet connection, then access it in NetLinx Studio. Beyond this, however, I'm not sure what to do. Where do I begin programming this? It seems I will need to learn the NetLinx language (as well as a basic understanding of how the system is laid out) - are there any "primer" documents around? I'm certainly willing and able to learn. Also - it seems like the VisualArchitect software would serve to make my life easier - will it work with my older components? Where can I get the software? I've looked all over to try and find it, and I could not - and it was not given to me with the system.

I also have no touchpanels - which components are compatible with this system?

Thanks in advance for your help - it is much appreciated.

-Dan

Comments

• Options
    ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    I know theres a document available online called Netlinx Instruction Manual. It is a very dry cut throat pdf that goes through beginning to advanced programming, but it has limited examples and it is hard to follow.

I don't know much about VA other then it was really easy to get a simple system put together.

As far as a touch panel, you can get some on ebay. If you don't want to spend much, you can get like a hardwire el panel for like 20 bucks. All the way to their nicest new panels for slightly less then new cost. Any panel will work with that processor since it has an ethernet connection. You could also create a web touch panel and just use a computer with a web browser to control the system.

The only thing that the ME will not be able to do is run a duet module built into the unit because it does not have the internal resources to run that. But chances are that if your just doing a small home theater, your not going to be needing any of those modules.

Ryan
  • Options
    dmurray14dmurray14 Posts: 80
    ryanww wrote:
    I know theres a document available online called Netlinx Instruction Manual. It is a very dry cut throat pdf that goes through beginning to advanced programming, but it has limited examples and it is hard to follow.

I don't know much about VA other then it was really easy to get a simple system put together.

As far as a touch panel, you can get some on ebay. If you don't want to spend much, you can get like a hardwire el panel for like 20 bucks. All the way to their nicest new panels for slightly less then new cost. Any panel will work with that processor since it has an ethernet connection. You could also create a web touch panel and just use a computer with a web browser to control the system.

The only thing that the ME will not be able to do is run a duet module built into the unit because it does not have the internal resources to run that. But chances are that if your just doing a small home theater, your not going to be needing any of those modules.

Ryan

Ryan,

Thanks a lot - huge help. I'll take a look at that manual - hopefully I'll be able to trudge through and learn some things. Sounds like VA would really make my life easier though.

How would I go about setting up a web touch panel to use for now?

Thanks again,
    Dan
  • Options
    adysadys Posts: 395
    get some modules and look at the code + UI samples.

I learned my first steps from DENON 3910 module that comes with UI for the TP.
    DENON 780 also, Lexicon mc8.

Also you can try and get "DesignXpress HomeTheater" or "Design XPress Professional"

Maybe some of the generated code that it create will help you to undestand things.

And I can help you a little and send you some samples.

Good luck!

Ady
  • Options
    dmurray14dmurray14 Posts: 80
    adys wrote:
    get some modules and look at the code + UI samples.

I learned my first steps from DENON 3910 module that comes with UI for the TP.
    DENON 780 also, Lexicon mc8.

Also you can try and get "DesignXpress HomeTheater" or "Design XPress Professional"

Maybe some of the generated code that it create will help you to undestand things.

And I can help you a little and send you some samples.

Good luck!

Ady

Thanks Ady! Any idea where I might find the DesignXPress software?

Dan
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    dmurray14 wrote:
    How would I go about setting up a web touch panel to use for now?
    This thread has directions:

http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=335
  • Options
    adysadys Posts: 395
    http://amx.com/techcenter/applications.asp?Category=Design%20XPress

In my opinion the code is a little too messy, but its good to see.

Look at the modules (DENON 3910) , this will help
    you can get the modules from here
    http://amx.com/inconcert/trednet.asp?page=device