Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Integra AMX Modules - best fit for DTR4.5

Hi - the AMX site has a ragtag collection of integra modules and it's not immed clear which is the best fit for a DTR4.5. Anyone have experience and know the answer off the top of their head?

Thanks,
Bill

Comments

• Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Integra's protocol has not changed in quite a few years. I wouldn't see why the 9.1 file wouldn't work. My boss in the past would use the Onkyo modules - though they were very troublesome. You'll probably find that if you don't turn off the reciever after a reboot - the volume doesn't track.

What are you needing to do? I find the protocol is very easy, though I've been working with Integra pieces (CD, DVD, AVR, etc.) for about 3 years now.
  • Options
    youstrayoustra Posts: 135
    Thanks for the response. I've got the basics programmed but the client wants full TP control/status on all the funky surround modes, EQ, etc. I was just hoping I could slam in a module rather than type out the code. I'll check out the 9.1.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Caution!

If he's wanting to get into the setup menu, my suggestion is don't. If he just wants surround modes, then you can probably stop reading now.

I understand it's what the client wants, but we've had a few of those kind before, and they eventually do something to where they lose sound and don't know how to get it back or do something else and it causes a problem. Then it's a service call (which they don't care), but it's still a hassle. I'd be careful giving a client any kind of "setup" control of the devices.

Let's face it - if they could do the system thereselves, they probably would. Since they can't, that's why they hire the professionals. You don't need an amateur causing problems with *your* installation.

But . . . "the customer's always right."
  • Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    jjames wrote: »
    You don't need an amateur causing problems with *your* installation.

I figure its the amateurs system not mine, since they paid for it. I usually give them all the bells and whistles to play with since that's what they enjoy doing (who can resist hitting that purty lil button), but then give them an easy way to restore to default settings. That way they get to play all they want, and you never get a service call.
    Paul
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    and you never get a service call.Paul

Caca del toro.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I don't give customers menu and setup controls for a receiver or display unless they insist on it, and I make sure they understand that if they mess up the installed settings, they will get charged for reconfiguring the system. Most are fine with not touching any of that, but you do get the die-hard audiophile who has just got to ...

Devices are another story. Sat boxes and disc players often have setup items that the owner needs access to, even if only on rare occasion. Frequently they are rare enough that I simply let them use the original remote for this, but sometimes you just have to put it on the panel (buried equipment being one reason).

Surround modes are yet another matter. I always provide the full range the receiver is capable of. Many customers never mess with them, but this is something that is so much a matter of taste, I wouldn't want to leave a system without the means to adjust them.