Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Master to Master Feedback

I have a Master to Master System with 2 masters: NI-4100 and NI-3100. The NI-4100 has 3 TPs associated with it (CV12 and 2 MVPs), and the NI-3100 has only 1 TP (MVP). I am having problems with feedback on button channels. On the NI-4100 everything works fine, but on the NI-3100 there are a couple feedback channels that don't work correctly, even though they work fine on the NI-4100. The weird thing is that if I reboot the MVP associated to the NI-3000 then it also works fine. The NI-4100 is the Main Master where most things are connected and the NI-3100 is System 2 for a dedicated theater.

The 'Output' light stays on RED in the NI-4100 and as soon as I reboot the MVP on the secondary Master, things are fine again. When I ' Enable Netlinx Device Notifications ' I see the following:

Line 3756 :: Feedback:On [10004:2:2] - Channel 210 - 08:18:29
Line 3757 :: Feedback:On [10004:2:2] - Channel 199 - 08:18:29
Line 3758 :: Feedback:On [10004:2:2] - Channel 210 - 08:18:29
Line 3759 :: Feedback:On [10004:2:2] - Channel 199 - 08:18:29
Line 3760 :: Feedback:On [10004:2:2] - Channel 210 - 08:18:29
Line 3761 :: Feedback:On [10004:2:2] - Channel 199 - 08:18:29

After a while the buffer crashes. Then I reboot the MVP on the secondary system and the Output RED light on the Main Master (NI-4100) goes off and both systems and everything works fine again.

Any ideas or suggestions will be very appreciated. Thanks,

Ricardo

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    The output light staying solid on is big clue.

You either have a feedback statement that is not being traped and is being updated every cycle in the program.

This is a simplification of one, but you might get the drift.
    DEFINE_PROGRAM

PULSE[RELAY,1]

Another that is often disussed on this board is how you have your Master-to-Master communications set up.

A common mistake that I've made several times before is that you only need set up one way communication to make it work.

In other words, set up a URL in the subordinate master going to the main master, but don't set one up the other way. The main master will make the connection back without setting it up separately.

If you set up a URL in the main master going back to the subordinate master, it creates a data feedback loop. The master responds by piling up enormous amounts of error messages and will eventually crash. One of the symptoms is that the Output light stays on continously.

Hope that helps.
    EJM
  • Options
    I do have the URL set on only one Master. I have also noticed that only the first 8 volume levels for the MVP connected to the secondary Master works after rebooting the Main Master. If I reboot the MVP on the secondary Master, than I have all levels working again. Is there a way to reboot a MVP through code on a secondary Master. What I am thinking is after a Main Master reload I could reboot the MVP on the secondary Master through code after a couple minutes. Any ideas? I am trying the REBOOT command but it is not working...

Thanks,

Ricardo
  • Options
    NMarkRobertsNMarkRoberts Posts: 455
    after a Main Master reload I could reboot the MVP on the secondary Master through code after a couple minutes. Any ideas? I am trying the REBOOT command but it is not working...

To clarify the reboot command, to reboot the local master, the NetLinx code is
    reboot(0:0:0)

where 0:0:0 means "local master". Presumably the command to reboot another master just involves changing the device number, although I don't know if that works.

If you can send strings or commands between the masters then write code in one to send a message to the other, and in the other to interpret the message and do a local reboot.

Another more entertaining and desperate approach would be to establish a telnet session from one master to the other and send it the reboot command on the command line:
    slong slReturnValue
    dev dTelnet = 0:first_local_port:0

slReturnValue = ip_client_open(dTelnet.port,sIPAddress,23,ip_tcp)	

send_string dTelnet,"'REBOOT',cCR"

(uncompiled and untested)
  • Options
    alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    I do have the URL set on only one Master. I have also noticed that only the first 8 volume levels for the MVP connected to the secondary Master works after rebooting the Main Master. If I reboot the MVP on the secondary Master, than I have all levels working again. Is there a way to reboot a MVP through code on a secondary Master. What I am thinking is after a Main Master reload I could reboot the MVP on the secondary Master through code after a couple minutes. Any ideas? I am trying the REBOOT command but it is not working...

Thanks,

Ricardo

It almost sounds like you may need to do a set level count command because the default level count is 8. I vaguely remember someone having a problem a long time ago with this.