Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

R4 Hard Buttons

Has any one been using the feature available for the R4 in TPD4 where you can change the hard button port/channel values based on the page being displayed?

Just wondering if it's reliable or if I should just leave the buttons at the global settings and do this in code. So far it seems to work just fine but I have very little time playing around with it and I don't want to get in deep and then discover it has flaws. If it works as reliably as doing the page tracking yourself why not let it? Of course I'm also thinking that later they'll be a reason why I'd want that control.

Comments

• Options
    bmitchellbmitchell Posts: 41
    I have used the R4 this way. Seems to work with no problems.

Regards,

Bryan
  • Options
    alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    I've also changed what the buttons do depending on the page displayed and it works fine. I've changed both the channel numbers and changed page flips etc
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I have also changed the hard buttons without issues. Well, at least without any issues I know about ;)

Jeff
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Same here - no issues as of yet (like Jeff said - that I know of.)
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    OK, I'm sold plus the alternative to this method would be an extremely messy pain in the a$$. This allows the R4 button pushes to to use the exact same button_event code as the TPs, even in the same TPArray if that's what you choose to do.
  • Options
    ebariauxebariaux Posts: 5
    Could someone explain how you can do that, having a specific port/channel per displayed page in TPD4?
    I've looked in the help and menus but could not find the way to do it.

Many thanks,
    Eric
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    This thread might shed some light!

http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=4041
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    It's always been my practice to handle hardware buttons in code, and with the MVP's, the relatively small number of them made it reasonable. I totally ditched the approach with my first R4 ... way too much work, way too much of a pain to stay on top of. I've been using the per-page settings since, and may switch to that method with MVP's as well.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I'm trying to remember, but I thought they initially the MVP units did not allow different codes for the hard buttons on a per page basis.... then again, I could have just missed the option. Regardless, I actually prefer to handle the hard buttons in code because it makes it easier to handle the panels/remotes. It also allows me to use the code for other things like IR based remotes and the new keypads without many changes.

Jeff
  • Options
    ebariauxebariaux Posts: 5
    Thanks a lot, makes much more sense.
    Anyway, I think I'll need to do it in the code anyway, as we're using a lot of popup pages.

Eric