Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

Sharp TV 'Power ON'

Hi everybody,
I'm trying to control some Sharp TVs ( XD series ) through RS232 but I can not find the POWER ON command. All the other commands work fine. ( ex. Power Off 'POWR0 ' )
I've already read a solution from an other thread here, but it was for older Sharp models.
Has anyone of you ever found a command for powering on these TVs?

Regards,
George

Comments

• VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Posts: 216
    Sharp devices

George,

The standard Sharp power commands have always worked for me.

POWR 0

POWR 1

Your post didn't indicate the 3 spaces between the command and value.

I believe these are necessary for the strings.
  • Sharp power

Depending on the tv, if it is set to device 0. Which it should be.
    POWR0001 should work for on
    POWR0000 should work for off.
    Kind of confusing in their manuals.
  • thanks guys. Could you please have a look at the attached file? This is the RS232 part commands of the specific Sharp TV
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    thanks guys. Could you please have a look at the attached file? This is the RS232 part commands of the specific Sharp TV
    Boy, that sure implies it is
    'POWR1   '

I've done one of these before, but it was a while ago and I can't seem to find the code. We usually use IR for Sharp...
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    The Sharp LCD's come defaulted in an Energy Saver mode which means that they do not respond to the Power On code by default.

To disable the Energy Saver mode you need to send the command: 'RSPW0001'

Then turn the unit off and on again.

There's some older posts on this I think if you do a search.
  • I send the RSPW0001 command but we receive an ERR command from TV. So the Energy Mode can not be disabled !!!
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I send the RSPW0001 command but we receive an ERR command from TV. So the Energy Mode can not be disabled !!!

Maybe a menu option?

As an aside, it has always annoyed me that Sharp seems to have minor protocol variations from device to device. I'd rather they were completely different than "close."
  • Dave,
    no any menu options for energy mode.
    I wonder if you have a Sharp technician in your place for helping us with any suggestion.

George
    Dave,
    no any menu options for energy mode.
    I wonder if you have a Sharp technician in your place for helping us with any suggestion.

George
    No, but the last time I ran into this was before I heard about the energy savings thing. I wound up putting an emitter on it, and used IR for turning it on, and turning it on only. The rest was done IR, and since it worked, I never went back to that job to play with anything else.

The problem, simply put, is Sharp turns off the RS-232 port when the set is shut down. If you can somehow find the proper command for that set for power savings, you should be able to override that behavior, but if not, the only thing I can think of is IR.
  • Sharp Discrete Power on IR

Guys,
    Does anyone of you have a disrcete IR command for powering on a Sharp LCD TV? I used the one from remote central but it doesn't work.

Thanks.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Guys,
    Does anyone of you have a disrcete IR command for powering on a Sharp LCD TV? I used the one from remote central but it doesn't work.

Thanks.

It depends on which Sharp LCD you have. Some models have no discrete power commands. Check the TV for an RS232 port, if it doesn't have one chances are pretty good there's no discrete command. If you're still not sure, call Sharp TS. They should be able to tell you whether a discrete command exists or not.
  • Sharp tv issue

Hi

I had the same problem with a UK model (54 inch - I think!). you have to go into the service mode and change one of the vakues in there. I will dig out the documentation when I am back in work tomorrow and send you a copy
  • Thanks Duncan. We are looking forward for your reply...
  • cmatkincmatkin Posts: 86
    Hi,
    I have just set up a few sharp LCD screens.
    There are 2 different syntax formats for these that I have found.

?POWR1 ? and ?POWR 1? note the spaces. It depends on the model.

In order to enable power on you MUST enable MODE1 for the Standby mode under Menu-Setup-Standby Mode.

The RSPW1 command looks as if it is not implemented any more. It returns an ERR message.

My 2 cents.
  • LC52D92 no POWER ON command resolved for me

I encountered the lack of 'POWR 1' command on Sharp LC52D92. On this model a firmware upgrade is required.

This involves sticking an SD disc in a slot on the rear of the unit then booting up the unit, once this is done you have to access the service menu and re-init the settings. It is not a big deal but be aware that the procedure does not even resemble the procedure they documented in the service manual.

Once the new firmware is loaded you have to send 'RSPW0001' one time to get it into the correct mode. After that all works like you would expect.
  • No Power on command for Aquos

I just installed a Sharp Aquos LCD TV (LC-65D90U) recently and the explanation I received from Sharp is that the RS-232 port turns off when the TV turns off so they didn't put a Power on command in the protocol. Poor design if you ask me, but he said that the Aquos line's RS-232 was really supposed to be for service use and not for control. I ended up having to put an IR and PCS on it since it didn't respond to discreet IR power commands either. I have since recommended to the sales staff to stop selling these and sell only Professional Sharp LCDs, they always work great.
  • Sharp LCD 'POWR 1' command

I can't speak to the LC-65D90U.

I explained to our channel manager that the unit was worthless to us without the command and we would not be able to sell any more if there was not a prompt resolution. It was not the first time they had heard the complaint. They were very helpful.
    I am starting to see this with other devices in the "power saving" mode. I just recently installed a DVD player (might have been the Toshiba HD, but I forget now ...) that had the same silliness. Fortunately, there was a menu item to turn it off.
  • The manual for the LC42/46/52D64 that I'm anxiously awaiting actually DOCUMENTS - for the first time I've ever seen - power ON and OFF commands, as well as the RSPW command for turning the energy saver (responsible for shutting off the 232 port when their displays are put in standby) ON and OFF...

Took long enough, but I think Sharp finally woke up.

- Chip
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    DHawthorne wrote:
    I am starting to see this with other devices in the "power saving" mode. I just recently installed a DVD player (might have been the Toshiba HD, but I forget now ...) that had the same silliness. Fortunately, there was a menu item to turn it off.

I ran into the same problem with a JVC SR MV55U DVD recorder. (now it can be searched) The device manual tells how to turn power save on and off, but it doesn't mention that the RS232 port gets turned off also. Actually, the only mention of the function is in the description of the deck setup OSD menus -- no mention under the RS232 section. If I'd been working with a paper manual instead of a PDF, probably wouldn't have found it.

The only reason that I thought to check to see if the unit had a power save function (and test to see if it affected RS232) was because of threads on these forums discussing such things with respect to other devices. Lots of good stuff pops up here.
  • kennyannkennyann Posts: 113
    Channel number control on Sharp LCD with RS232

I am wondering if anyone out there has controlled the Sharp LC65D90U with channel numbers through RS232 code. I have a NTSC cable signal attached to the LCD. I need to control the keypad on a R2 to control the channels. Eg: If I press 1 on my keypad I need to send an RS232 code for that particular number to the TV. If I press the next number then it should add that number to the previous number. Therefore, the TV should display 12 if the second number is 2. The RS232 code on the Manual does not seem be right.
  • contact sharp

they can give you a firmware file to load to the tv that disables the energy saver mode and then the serial commands will work.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    chasmoyer wrote:
    they can give you a firmware file to load to the tv that disables the energy saver mode and then the serial commands will work.
    Now I like that idea! But I wonder if we're not "qualified" to handle such files, would they give it to us? Oh I wonder how we might be able to get our hands on it if that were the case . . . hmmm ;)
  • Solution

Info from Sharp for XD models;

1) Enter "SERVICE MODE". (With the buttons on the TV: Hold Vol- and
    menu then press power on, a blue K is displayed in the upper left of the
    screen, then press Vol- and CH-)
    2) Using the remote, change to [etc]. (Press cursor ��3 times)
    3) Choose "OPTION" and change data to "23" from "0".
    4) Power off, then to exit K mode hold Vol- and menu then press power on, K
    is not displayed upper left.
    5) Power off then remove the mains cable for 5 seconds, then reconnect.
    6) Send code, "POWR1������" is ON, "POWR0������" is OFF.
    Where �� is a space character.

It's at your own risk, although i've never had a problem getting this to work.
  • RVanceRVance Posts: 14
    Sorry for the late response, and possibly resurrecting a dead thread, but I just ran into a similar problem controlling a Sharp Aquos LC-65D64U, when I'd power it off, I couldn't power it back on again using the RS-232. A call to Sharp's tech support told me to send 'RSPW1 ' (3 spaces) while the unit is powered on. I did that and now power on works fine.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    RVance wrote: »
    Sorry for the late response, and possibly resurrecting a dead thread, but I just ran into a similar problem controlling a Sharp Aquos LC-65D64U, when I'd power it off, I couldn't power it back on again using the RS-232. A call to Sharp's tech support told me to send 'RSPW1 ' (3 spaces) while the unit is powered on. I did that and now power on works fine.

I just used this information two days ago on a job. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but the manual indicates needing a CR (Hex 0D) as a terminating character. I am sending "'RSPW1 ',13" and it works well.

Jeff
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Info from Sharp for XD models;

1) Enter "SERVICE MODE". (With the buttons on the TV: Hold Vol- and
    menu then press power on, a blue K is displayed in the upper left of the
    screen, then press Vol- and CH-)
    2) Using the remote, change to [etc]. (Press cursor ��3 times)
    3) Choose "OPTION" and change data to "23" from "0".
    4) Power off, then to exit K mode hold Vol- and menu then press power on, K
    is not displayed upper left.
    5) Power off then remove the mains cable for 5 seconds, then reconnect.
    6) Send code, "POWR1������" is ON, "POWR0������" is OFF.
    Where �� is a space character.

It's at your own risk, although i've never had a problem getting this to work.

this is the way to go.
    no firmware update required...
  • You may have overlooked that

"'RSPW0001',13" //Enable 232 while off

needs to be sent while the display is on...

"POWR1 ',13" //Power ON
    "POWR0 ',13" //Power OFF
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    kbeattyAMX wrote: »
    You may have overlooked that

"'RSPW0001',13" //Enable 232 while off

needs to be sent while the display is on...

"POWR1 ',13" //Power ON
    "POWR0 ',13" //Power OFF

this doesn't apply to almost all the TV's we use (european models)
    only models with a seperate tuner box need this command...
  • On the LC-42LE620UT model....

This definitely works on this model...maybe helpful to try on others...rep said the "620" model was for some reason different than the rest.(?)

Trouble I had was.....

Sent RSPW1..
    Response from TV [OK]

Sent POWR0..
    Response from TV [OK]

Sent POWR1..
    Response from TV [$F8] or [$FC]

Finally got through to actual Sharp Tech she gave me:

Sent P.. (Yes, just the letter "P"...with CR)
    Response from TV....
    Line 4 (10:14:49):: String From [5001:6:1]-[$BEq*$F3]
    Line 5 (10:14:49):: String From [5001:6:1]-[h$98$80$10!]
    Line 6 (10:14:50):: String From [5001:6:1]-[H$01$85$84$8C$E5$1F$10$11k,EH$B5]
    Line 7 (10:14:50):: String From [5001:6:1]-[m$A1]

Don't quite know what this is supposed to mean; but at least it turned the TV on!