Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

IR port to rs232 on plasma

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect a cable from the IR port on the NI controller and connect it to the RS232 plasma port to send basic commands to the plasma?

THANKS

Comments

• Options
    Xantech IRS232A

http://www.xantech.com/
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    joec wrote:
    Does anyone know if it is possible to connect a cable from the IR port on the NI controller and connect it to the RS232 plasma port to send basic commands to the plasma?

WHY?

Are you out of RS-232 ports on the master?

Before I would try the Xantech IR-RS232 I would get an IP-RS232 serial server and set up an IP device connection through the server to the RS232 device. You can buy single servers or multiple servers. I currently using and 8/16 port serial server fron ATOP which runs around $700 that allows me to connect to an additional 8/16 RS232 devices through an IP connection to the master and a serial connection between the device and the ATOP serial server. It's a relatively simple process to set up. Single IP - RS-232 servers are around a $100 - $150.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 13
    That function worked fine to do 1-way communication on Axcent-3s. If you have an NI processor it should fine as well, but I was told to do it as a last option (take from that what you will). I don't believe it works at all on a card cage or NXI.
  • Options
    joecjoec Posts: 55
    Greg wrote:
    That function worked fine to do 1-way communication on Axcent-3s. If you have an NI processor it should fine as well, but I was told to do it as a last option (take from that what you will). I don't believe it works at all on a card cage or NXI.

Yes we are out of RS232 ports on the NI700 controller

So some people do have the rs232 commands working through the NI IR ports and connected to a device. We will try that as well.

THANKS
  • Options
    joecjoec Posts: 55
    vining wrote:
    joec wrote:

WHY?

Are you out of RS-232 ports on the master?

Before I would try the Xantech IR-RS232 I would get an IP-RS232 serial server and set up an IP device connection through the server to the RS232 device. You can buy single servers or multiple servers. I currently using and 8/16 port serial server fron ATOP which runs around $700 that allows me to connect to an additional 8/16 RS232 devices through an IP connection to the master and a serial connection between the device and the ATOP serial server. It's a relatively simple process to set up. Single IP - RS-232 servers are around a $100 - $150.

Yes we are out of 232 ports on the NI
    Do you have a link for the ATOP products? Specifically the single port models.
    Thanks
  • Options
    cmacma Posts: 94
    I have used the IR ports many times on NI-1 series masters with no problems. It will give you more functionality than IR and you don't have to worry about the emitter falling off. Oh yeah, I think somewhere it says not to use it over 10 feet or something like that but I have TV's running off it over cat 5 up to 120ft without any issues so far.
  • Options
    KennyKenny Posts: 209
    I recently attempted to use IR ports as IR DATA to control several LG LCDs. I could only get the one that was about 20 feet away to work. It was easy to setup and test but unfortunately the tvs were to far away. I think the master was an NI4000.
  • Options
    I believe you can do this if you don't require two way communication (obviously would be missing the RX with a 2 pin pheonix)
    The trick is in the ONLINE of the DATA_EVENT of the IR port, you have to set up the IR output to be RS232 data with a SET MODE DATA send_command.

DATA_EVENT[dvIRPORT_TV]
    {
    ONLINE:
    {
    SEND_COMMAND DATA.DEVICE,"'SET MODE DATA'"
    }
    }
  • Options
    KennyKenny Posts: 209
    I was doing the command in an Online event but it would only work for about 20 feet of cable. It seems the port can't drive the data out the distance that this customer needed.
  • Options
    Part of that is no doubt due to the fact that the voltage swing on IR ports is +/- 5 volts, while "standard" RS232 is +/- 12. A lot of devices expect something closer to 12 and don't work quite as well with lower voltages. Those longer cable runs more than likely caused the voltage to drop below the threshold the UART in the display was capable of dealing with.

- Chip
  • Options
    My last experience showed that IR cable from amx could be enlarged to 35 meters long (about 115 ft) without any problem. I used 7mm 75 ohms coax cable. This one
    http://www.procab.be/html/Procab_bulkvideo_cablesD.asp?Type=CXV107 to be exact. Some one also used UTP for this purpose and ran IR cable for 120 ft. It might work too, give it a try)

p.s.Sorry for off top