Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Dsx 1040?

Has anyone integrated with a DSX Access DSX-1040? I guess it's a security panel. Nothing on the website here, so didn't know if it's easy or hard to integrate with.

Comments

• AMXJeffAMXJeff Posts: 450
    I think it is a door access controller. What do you want to do with it, we have a DSX door access controller, I hacked the protocol enough to order my doors to (un)lock or go back on lock schedule.
    jjames wrote:
    Has anyone integrated with a DSX Access DSX-1040? I guess it's a security panel. Nothing on the website here, so didn't know if it's easy or hard to integrate with.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Not sure to be honest what exactly what we're trying to control. I couldn't find any protocol, or anything for whatever this piece is. I'm having our installer check into it more as to what they're trying to do . . .

EDIT: Apparently it's a big piece with an integration controller on it . . . I haven't a clue what it is. It's a piece from DSX Access I guess, but they're saying it's also a security controller as well. Any insight would be great.
    Since I Hacked the protocol, and it is consider a security system, i do not feel comfortable putting the code out here on the forum. Let me know when you find out what your wanting to control, and I will share the code I wrote via a more secure method, I only hacked what I needed to use, so not the whole protocol has been hacked. I basically orginally put a com2 card between the pc and the 20ma loop converter. First Serial port to the pc and the second serial port to the 20ma loop converter. Watch the strings when I used the software on the pc.
    jjames wrote:
    Not sure to be honest what exactly what we're trying to control. I couldn't find any protocol, or anything for whatever this piece is. I'm having our installer check into it more as to what they're trying to do . . .

EDIT: Apparently it's a big piece with an integration controller on it . . . I haven't a clue what it is. It's a piece from DSX Access I guess, but they're saying it's also a security controller as well. Any insight would be great.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    AMXJeff wrote:
    I basically orginally put a com2 card between the pc and the 20ma loop converter. First Serial port to the pc and the second serial port to the 20ma loop converter. Watch the strings when I used the software on the pc.
    Apologizes in advance for the drift in topic:

Next time you are reverse engineering you may want to check out a free tool like Portmon.exe. Mark Russinovich used to give it away (along with a variety of other tools) at sysinternals.com until Microsoft scarfed them up. You can download the freeware at:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/portmon.mspx

Portmon.exe is a small app that doesn?t require an install but it?s extremely powerful. You can hook up a serial device to your PC in standard fashion, run the serial device manufacturer software, and then watch Portmon log all incoming and outgoing activity.

Drifting further:

I assume by your posts that you are an AMX employee. Is that true? The few AMXers that post hear normally identify themselves as such in their profile but I see no indication in yours. Except of course for your AMXJeff screen name. :)

I for one think it?s great when AMX chimes in on the board and you?ve been ringing the bell quite frequently the last several months. Thanks to you and the rest of the AMXers on the forum for the insight and contributions.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
    I am an AMXer, been so for 10 years. Some of us like to stay behind the radar, also do not have any official responsablities for the forum. So just trying to help those in need... Although I have found that alot of you have very good advice for those in need. The forum would not be anything without all you helping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Joe Hebert wrote:
    Apologizes in advance for the drift in topic:

Next time you are reverse engineering you may want to check out a free tool like Portmon.exe. Mark Russinovich used to give it away (along with a variety of other tools) at sysinternals.com until Microsoft scarfed them up. You can download the freeware at:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/portmon.mspx

Portmon.exe is a small app that doesn’t require an install but it’s extremely powerful. You can hook up a serial device to your PC in standard fashion, run the serial device manufacturer software, and then watch Portmon log all incoming and outgoing activity.

Drifting further:

I assume by your posts that you are an AMX employee. Is that true? The few AMXers that post hear normally identify themselves as such in their profile but I see no indication in yours. Except of course for your AMXJeff screen name. :)

I for one think it’s great when AMX chimes in on the board and you’ve been ringing the bell quite frequently the last several months. Thanks to you and the rest of the AMXers on the forum for the insight and contributions.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
    All for nothing....

Well folks, it turned out to be all for nothing. We're not doing it now! Whew! I really hate having to integrate with security panels / anything like that with code from scratch, I just feel it's a huge liability problem. That's why I tend to work only with modules for security panels, etc. but have no problem writing code for DVD players. :P

Off topic: how do I become an AMXer? :D I wanna be AMXjay LOL
    LOL - Nice one! Though, it appears there aren't any jobs suited for me. I wanted to be Senior Manager for R&D and Useless Code, I seem to have that perfected!
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    jjames wrote:
    Off topic: how do I become an AMXer? :D I wanna be AMXjay LOL

I've been scanning the AMX Careers pages for years, but any job I have been qualified for is in Texas. NJ is too hot and humid for me, I couldn't do that :).