Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

New Stuff - Virtual Keypad

I just saw the AMX news email thing. They have some pretty neat things like the new panels and the VOIP deal. A project I am working on right now would be perfect to use the new virtual keypanel.. Does anyone know when this will come out and if there can be more then one of them per master?

Thanks,
Ryan

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Not sure if you can have multiple instances on a master, but it seemed like 2 instances of the same virtual function properly. (I asked them to try it at the show :) )

I will see if I can ask that today.

Jeff
  • ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    Also, do you know or could you ask if it is going to be a paid upgrade? It has an FG number so I am curious..

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • Me too!

I've not found any tech info on the amx site.

Anybody got any info? Is this a firmware update to the netlinx masters? The product info page says there is sample netlinx code available - if so, where?

Regards

John
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Com-sip-gateway

This is cool!

The COM-SIP-GATEWAY harnesses the power of standards-based Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and Voice over IP (VoIP) technology to establish, maintain and terminate calls to/from AMX intercom-enabled Modero Touch Panels, PDAs, cell phones, laptops, IP phones, and instant messaging clients.

The new products are now on the AMX site!
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I did not have a chance to talk with anyone at the AMX booth about multiple virtual keypads, but I was told that the virtual keypad is going to be a free item from AMX.

Jeff
    Sweet.. well at least one of them beats a G3 web panel that would be in its place. The info can be found on the link on the email.. I don't know where it is on the site off the top of my head.

Ryan
    http://www.amx.com/products/NDT-VKP.asp

The link above show the dealers price which I assume is around $500 retail.
    I don't have dealer rights.. so I can't see a price.. One of these days when I have more time to devote to amx stuff
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Virtual Keypad review

The new Virtual Keypad (NDT-VKP) has limited functions and I found it to work as advertised. If you haven?t tried it yet here?s what you get:

1) A completely fixed interface with 12 buttons and one 3-line "LCD". Image attached.

2) The 12 buttons have channel codes fixed at 1-12.

3) The 12 buttons can have ON and OFF feedback

4) Text can be sent to any of the 12 buttons or to the 3-line LCD.

5) The VKP is instantiated with a DUET module.

6) The VKP shows up as a link under web control on the NI Master web interface.

7) The VKP "runs" in a browser as a simple web page. It?s not a Java applet like the G3 web panels so there is no constant IP connection to the master. Instead the browser polls the master every 3 seconds and asks for some XML data to populate the interface with. Or the interface gets populated with the most recent data when a button is pushed and the push is submitted to the master.

8) The instructions say only one VKP can be used per master. Naturally I had to try to instantiate 2 of them and to no surprise no dice.

When you issue SEND_COMMANDs to the virtual device to write text to the buttons or if you turn the buttons ON/OFF, the commands don?t go to the web interface itself (it can?t since it?s connectionless.) Instead the module tracks the button states and button text and when the browser polls, the module returns the most current status.

Everything you need to get up and running can be found in the Tech Center under Application Files --> !integration Solutions (No charge.) If you can?t get it to work make sure you have the latest DUET Platform Runtime which you can install via the Web Update tool. That was the only problem I had. Once my runtime was up to date the VKP worked fine.

Has anyone tried the VKP yet? I?m trying to think of a situation where the VKP could be useful. It?s kind of cool and I like the simplicity but I really don?t see myself using one of these. I?m curious as to what you all think.
    I just found it last week.. I installed it, and it works well.. I was just going to use it on my home living room just to try it out.. It may work for one of the rooms I am working on for a project.. I just wish I could do more then 1.. but its cool.. still have g3' web panels..

Thanks for trying
    Ryan
    Could you load it on a PDA?
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    There?s an idea. I don?t have one anymore to try it. First guess would be, I don't see why not. Don?t know if the image will scale properly, it?s pretty large (approx 450x400.)
    vining wrote:
    Could you load it on a PDA?
  • filpeefilpee Posts: 64
    I tried it and it seemed to kill another java module I was using.

The java module keeps polling the device every 30 seconds like its supposed to but sending commands to its virtual device connection seems to fall on deaf ears.

Maybe in preventing multiple instances of the VKP they have actually disabled the ability to run multiple duet modules?

I'll do some more testing but so far this duet module suddenly started to work again when i commented out the line

DEFINE_MODULE 'VirtualKeypad_dr1_0_0' VKP(vdvKeyPad, vdvKeyPad);
    Is there a reason to pass vdvKeyPad twice? That seems a bit odd!

• filpeefilpee Posts: 64
    vining wrote:

I thought the same thing.
    This is lifted directly from the AMX sample code plus it shows something similar in the pdf guide that comes with the download.
  • vining wrote:

Duet modules always have 2 devices, the Duet device (41000 range) and normally the physical one. In case of the VirtualKeypad, to fit the Duet guidelines it has the virtual device twice
  • bobbob Posts: 296
    Can anyone give some more detailed information on how to install the VirtualKeypad on the iPhone? Within the package there is only one jar file and a sample axs file, nothing more. The pdf file with the software doesn't say anything besides how to extract the contents of the axw file and is 2 pages only including all pics. Does the VirtualKeypad run only on Duet enabled masters (have here a NI-700)? Thanks much in advance!
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    All you need to do is install the module as described in the pdf. Your master will serve the pages to your iPhone. There is no iPhone ap to install.

On the iPhone, go to Safari and enter in the IP address of your master. You will see a link to the Virtual Keypad on the master page. Click there and the keypad should come up. Once up, you can set a bookmark for it to return more easily next time.

I am not prticularly impressed with the Virtual Keypad. It usually misses button releases. It seems to me to be one of those things that's cool to play with, but is way too clunky to provide to clients.
  • bobbob Posts: 296
    How do I install the jar file on the master?
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    Agree about clunky

Speakercraft released a web interface for their multiroom system last year. It's OK, it's a custom browser interface and it's got the issues associated with that. What they did do well was use that route because it was quick so they got to market extremely quickly with their NEW hardware.

It took an age for our Virtual Keypad to ship out. If it's going to take that long, why can't we have a proper app? Our competitors have managed to ship one recently.

I'm not AMX bashing. We do not and will not sell Honktron, however I'm getting concerned that the best touchscreen platform out there doesn't have a native AMX interface
    bob wrote: »
    How do I install the jar file on the master?

All you need to do is define the module in your main program, just like any other module.

If you do exactly in the instrucions, it will work.
    iainshaw wrote: »
    I'm getting concerned that the best touchscreen platform out there doesn't have a native AMX interface

Agreed. Many of my resi AMX customers already have iPhones. It would be a logical progression to bring some reliable AMX control into the iPhone.

I don't think the Virtual Keypad ME is solid enough for end-users. I see it as a tech-toy at best right now.
  • I have a client who wanted to have a remote monitored HVAC system and alarm. He wasnt going to go for an all out AMX system so we sold him on the VKP and a Ni-700. This way he can get udates on the system and adjust the HVAC from his Salt Lake home. The system is here in Las Vegas.

I also have the iEquipment Montor running on the master giving him email update of the systems status.
  • virtualkeypad error

i compile and all goes ok. no errors or warnings.

and then when i try to open the webpage i get this error:

HTTP ERROR: 404 Not Found

RequestURI=/web/module/VirtualKeypad/com.amx.virtualkeypad/virtualkeypad