Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

MVP7500 Firmware - 2.83.9

Just wondered if anyone has had problems updating to this firmware. It just appears to corrupt the CF card when I did it. Not very helpful as the panel was supposed to be installed tomorrow!!

Comments

• Options
    KimKim Posts: 52
    Hello SMCSI!
    Tell please more in detail, what has occured? Because I was going to update panels, but already I am afraid to do it after has lost NI 4100 at updating...
  • Options
    SMCSISMCSI Posts: 16
    The panel had firmware 2.70.9 and TPDesign 4 popped up a message that it needed to update the system graphic files from v3 to v4. Clicking OK and waiting for about 30s an error occurred saying that it couldn't get the panels graphics heirachy.

I checked the AMX website and noticed the new firmware so updated the panel. The AMX logo comes up and then goes to blank screen with the blue boot LED solid.

Panel won't appear on the system tree and plugging the USB in won't load the driver on the PC.

Unfortunately I don't have an image on the 2.70.9 CF card so I can't re-image the card. I'm going to call AMX today to see what the story is.

It would be really handy to know if anyone has successfully updated a 7500 with the new firmware. I should also point out that the panels are about 2 years old, don't know if that makes any difference.
  • Options
    AMX are sending me out another CF card. I've had a look at the latest version of TP4 and it has new set-up pages for the MVP7500. I guess TP4 was trying to update the panel with the new graphics and pages for these and thats what it meant by update from v3 to v4. Why this failed I don't know. Do I need the new firmware working before the panel will get the new set-up pages?

When I get the new CF I'm going to image it first before I put it in the panel!! And then password protect and backup the image on every PC I can find.

Has anyone got the new set-up pages on a panel with firmware 2.70.9?

You can find the set-up pages here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\AMXShare\G4SupportFiles\__system\pages
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I have successfully updated system graphics without updating firmware. It's nothing more than the support files for the system pages.

Your problems seem to be more connection related than issues with the firmware or updates themselves.
  • Options
    ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    I had problems updating my 7500 when I first bought it.. It came with the very first firmware version, and needed an intermediate step before I could load the latest one on it. But when I put the latest on it, it stopped working and it turned out to be that my CF card had a bad chip in it that wouldn't read or write so it was pooched.. A little computer work and with others help, I was able to put an image on another CF card and it works like a charm.
  • Options
    Think I figured out the problem. The new CF card arrived from AMX this morning (excellent service as usual). The new card is a 256mb card.

I had a look at the old CF card under Linux and it has 59Mb of data on it (64Mb card). I'm guessing it's not big enough for the new system pages if there are tp pages on it.

I'll have a go with it tonight and see if I can image the new card onto the old one.

If anyone has a newish 7500, do they know the size of the card supplied?
  • Options
    SMCSI wrote:
    Think I figured out the problem. The new CF card arrived from AMX this morning (excellent service as usual). The new card is a 256mb card.

I had a look at the old CF card under Linux and it has 59Mb of data on it (64Mb card). I'm guessing it's not big enough for the new system pages if there are tp pages on it.

I'll have a go with it tonight and see if I can image the new card onto the old one.

If anyone has a newish 7500, do they know the size of the card supplied?

I have noticed AMX always sends a 256M card nowadays. I just replaced one in a CV7 that was fully up-to-date (but failed for other reasons) that was only 64M originally, and the replacement was 256M; I've seen 128M cards in MVP-8400's, and the new ones are all 256M. I suspect it's just a standard card they use for everything now. It's probable your old card simply went bad. It's not uncommon.
  • Options
    Since I now have a good card I tested the '64Mb not big enough theory' on a working panel. Made sure it was plugged in and that it wouldn't go to sleep during the update. Then tried to upgrade from firmware 2.70.9 to 2.83.9 and sure enough the same thing happened, looks like it all loads ok but panel boots to a blank screen.

I have also reformatted the old card and scanned it for errors and none were apparent. I'm determined to fix this :-) so more playing required.

At least the customer has a working panel now, very embarrassing killing a panel just before you are going to install it.
  • Options
    MVP7500 Firmware - 2.83.9

ryanww has it nailed. You have to put in the intermediate firmware before putting in 2.83.9. If you don't, you kill the CF card like I did.

It has nothing to do with the size of the CF card. They sent me a 128 card because they were "out" of the 256 cards and I needed one the next day.
  • Options
    ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    Yea, I have a 64 meg card. And I replaced it with another 64 meg card from an image that someone helped me out with since my card went bad having a bad chip in it.. I do have the most recent firmware on it, and have room to spare currently.

I would Love to put a 256mb card in it, but I don't have an image from a 256 meg card nor an AMX 256 meg card.. (unless someone wants to donate :p) I also don't really want to pay that much for a card if I don't absolutly have to.
  • Options
    Got it all sorted. I have a 256Mb image of the v2.83.9 firmware and all works perfectly. It was made much easier with WinHex ... a must buy piece of software. It will do a raw copy of just about anything you can throw at it.

http://www.x-ways.net/winhex/index-m.html

Well worth the purchase price as I can now have images of working CF cards on my laptop when I go onsite.

I found a website doing Sandisk 512Mb cards for cheap - ?9 ($18) and tried them and they work perfectly. Panel thinks its a 256Mb card, which is fine with me.

Thanks for the advice
  • Options
    SMCSI wrote:
    Panel thinks its a 256Mb card, which is fine with me.

Probably because the image was from a 256 card, and the formatting got transferred over too. You essentially wound up making a 256M partition.
  • Options
    Question

Does anyone still have a copy of the older image?
    I've run into the same problem with my MVP-7500

It would be greatly appreciated.