Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Recommendations for a newbee

Hi Everyone,

Just starting with AMX (and automation for Residential), I went to a couple of on-line training and red a lot of posts already.
I'm registered to the next AMX Programmer 1 in my region and while waiting, I'd like to get as much as I can on it.
My background is 17 years in computers and software as a developer, tech support, consultant.
Is there any materials (web sites, white papers etc) on simple solutions like automating a TV + DVD + Sound with example programs for NI 4000?

Anything is appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    As best I can tell, this forum is as good as it gets. If you have specific questions, by all means post them; but the best way by far is to wade in there and start writing code. You may not even know what to ask before you have gone that far :).
  • Options
    SensivaSensiva Posts: 211
    Read... ALOT!!

Adding to what DH said.. I suggest you Read and practice what you have just read.

As you are joining the next Prog1 training... reading AMX Programming introduction will be very useful before joining the session.

I don't know if I am allowed to send you these documents or not.. If someone responsible granted me in this thread, Sure I'll do.

I am really happy to you , I consider being in this career is the most awesome move in your life :)

Good Luck
  • Options
    go to the archive section and get the AXCESS programming tutorial. Helps with getting the basic concepts. After that, learning the Netlinx stuff is a walk in the park.

Most people have problems getting past the way control systems work and in the case of AMX - Channels - everything is a channel. Also, understanding the relationship between the button inputs to getting the AMX controllers to do something useful. So.. read that cover to cover. Doesn't matter if you don't understand it all, at least you get the idea before you start class and you'll be able to ask questions.

Oh yea.. ask questions in Class. No point going in if you're not going to come out understanding what you went in for in the first place.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Try to stay awake during the classes! I had totally forgotten what it was like to sit in class - let alone for 8 hours! Hopefully the instructor makes it exciting for you. It's exhausting for some reason.

Also, just try and do stuff in code. Read over some documentation, and just make some simple commands, etc. Not sure if you have any hardware to help you - but getting past the part of it compiling fine is big! (At least it was for me.) It should be a breeze once you've played with it for a bit. After actually understanding how the syntax works, and all that stuff - then comes the style portion. Using functions or calls, select..active or switch..case or if..else. I think after that comes the efficiency part . . . but - hey - it's a long road and I think it would be safe to say that even those who have been programming for 15 years still learn something new almost every day. (Though I've only been programming for 3sh - so I'm still fresh. :D)

BTW - Sensiva - I want your brother's Mio remote costume! That's hilarious!
  • Options
    or you could just pass us the job and we'll do it for ya. :
  • Options
    cyril.lim wrote:
    or you could just pass us the job and we'll do it for ya. :
    LMAO - nice - clever thinking! :P
  • Options
    SensivaSensiva Posts: 211
    jjames wrote:
    BTW - Sensiva - I want your brother's Mio remote costume! That's hilarious!

LooOOooL... no that is not my brother.... I was curious is there any clips about AMX at youtube.com?... and I found that one

:)
  • Options
    Oh - my mistake. Funny nonetheless!!