Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Direct TV H21 IR Remote Capture Issues

Has anyone heard of issues coming out fron the new Direct TV H21 receiver? I have yet to caputre its remote but do have some projects coming down the pipe that are using them.

Our techs who program Niles and whatnot are saying the new IR remotes are uncapturable. (I've read something about them using a clock chiped IR emitter that doesn't use of the accepted frequencies or something) They also report that the older H20 IR codes do not work as well.

Direct TV has seemed to taken on a rather negative stance with integraters as of late. I'm not sure what that's all about. However, deliberately designing an IR remote that cannot be captured seems to be biting one of the hands that feed them. (IMHO)

When I do get round to testing it, I'll try the IRIS's advanced (capture anything ) mode and see what happens. It's a pain since you have to resend IR commands to the IRIS 4 or 5 times each code before you get the verified LED to light up.

Comments

• ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    I have an HR21-700 at home and I am using DIRECTv8.IRL available from the AMX website. I do not have any problems other that I wish I could leave the DirecTv remote set to RF and still have the IR receiver functional.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    As it turns out, I can capture the IR just fine. I don't know what the issue was with the techs??? Also, the old IR file works fine too.

I had read some web board posts complaining about it but generally, I don't see an issue.

Oh well, all's well that ends well.

e
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I was about to post I am using an old H20 file without any problem, but it seems a few beat me to it. Even if they have messed up the newer remote itself, old codes still work. Then, there is always the USB/serial port (which almost may as well be IR due to lack of decent feedback).
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    The USB port does serial? I thought the "low speed data" port (RJ11?) could be used for this, but I didn't think the USB port would work. I was disappointed the HR21 doesn't have the "serial" port.
    DHawthorne wrote:
    I was about to post I am using an old H20 file without any problem, but it seems a few beat me to it. Even if they have messed up the newer remote itself, old codes still work. Then, there is always the USB/serial port (which almost may as well be IR due to lack of decent feedback).

I've never bothered with the USB because of the 1-way nature of it. However, can you show me the way to the USB protocol. I'm rather curious about it anyway.

(edited to add...)
    Oh, and are you connecting a Netlinx master to this via USB? If so, how?

thanks
    ejm
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    You use a serial-to-USB convertor. The protocol doc has been posted here several times.

The older receivers used the RJ-11 jack, newer ones use a USB port.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The USB port is not one way, but it needs to be queried ... there are no unsolicited feedbacks. I'm not at my work computer at t eh moment, so I can't put up a link (seeing I don't have it handy), but if you do a forum search for Directv, you will find a link to where you can get the protocol. I can post my rudimentary module later, but it is far from full-function at the moment - it will, however, support direct station selection.
  • perm182perm182 Posts: 15
    directv rs232 protocal 2.2

Here it is with HR21 and HR21 P added.
  • DHawthorne wrote: »

DHawthorne, we had some Direct TV boxes about 2 years ago that were using the Serial Ports to communicate to AMX, but DirectTV decided to Disabled the SatBoxes RS232 control. Is this situation still true in 2008 for the Direct TV box H21? We'd really like to use the RS232 control again, if it still works with the H21 boxes.
    AlexArtist wrote: »
    DHawthorne, we had some Direct TV boxes about 2 years ago that were using the Serial Ports to communicate to AMX, but DirectTV decided to Disabled the SatBoxes RS232 control. Is this situation still true in 2008 for the Direct TV box H21? We'd really like to use the RS232 control again, if it still works with the H21 boxes.

The new HR-21's have reinstated the RS-232 port for real. (It's a port on the back labeled thus) I was very disapointed in the protocol in general. It's really only 1 notch above the functionality you get from just using IR in that you only get the current channel back. (If you poll for it.)

For all the trouble of doing the protocol, I'm just using IR.
    I poll the receivers in my comm module for signal quality and channel number. It makes for nice information on panels. I've been polling an H21 receiver in my house for over a year now without any lock ups, etc.
  • ericmedley wrote: »
    The new HR-21's have reinstated the RS-232 port for real. (It's a port on the back labeled thus) I was very disapointed in the protocol in general. It's really only 1 notch above the functionality you get from just using IR in that you only get the current channel back. (If you poll for it.)

For all the trouble of doing the protocol, I'm just using IR.

Thanks Eric, know anyone who's created a module already? And who is currently using the H21's serial port at some locations. (It was a nightmare back in the day when DirectTV turns off the Serial ports via a remote update. Very annoying.)
    I use the H21 serial port on my installations. I do some polling for signal quality and channel number. Also, using serial commands for button presses from touchpanels results in better response times from button presses than with IR.
  • I use the H21 serial port on my installations. I do some polling for signal quality and channel number. Also, using serial commands for button presses from touchpanels results in better response times from button presses than with IR.

Ok, so then i could purchase nine H21's for a video wall install and pre-order some AMX gear to talk to all the boxes via RS232 (And USB adapters to go with) and be confident that the H21's serials ports will work as of today. This is true? Has Anyone got a module for this already that i could just use?