Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

Case of the Phantom Codes

I'll admit, AMX tech support loses a bit more of my confidence in them each time I call.

I was working on cleaning up port and code use in TPD4, when I began to notice oddities throughout the function map. It was replications of codes and other codes going to random pages with button names such as semi-colon. I'd double-click on the code to follow it, and it'd open up the correct page, but not select anything, as it simply didn't exist. When I tried to delete these codes within the function map, it'd give me an error message, concluding with line, "please call tech support." I felt this was a reasonable idea.

I get a hold of someone from tech support and describe the situation as I did above. He surprises me with his nonchalance of the subject; it's an obviously well known issue, and it had been "fixed" in the latest TPD4 version. I asked when the last patch was, he was it was some months ago, and I rebutted that I have that version and this panel isn't that old. This didn't seem to phase him.

It was at this point that he gave me the line which I'm sure if I recorded, would save me a lot of time with them; if I have a problem, just load up the file and listen to the immortal words: "the solution for this is to create a new panel file, then copy the pages and popups over to the new file." I always want to snap back, "that's a work-around, not a solution!"

At this point, I figured it might just not be a big enough issue to handle, so I asked if these phantom codes actually cause any problems, or if they're just an annoying bug. He quickly responded that they were definitely a problem, and had a tendency to freeze up and crash panels, especially during the process of transferring the files and sending the Manifest file. I just didn't know what to say to this. But no problem, I'll just dump my panel content in a new file every time I have a problem - that's the solution!

Alright, so that turned out a bit more of a rant than I'd intended. However, I was initially curious if anyone else had this problem at all, and if a pattern has been noticed on when these phantom codes tend to occur.

Thanks!

Comments

• mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    The biggest problem with TPDesign4 is its inability to recover gracefully from XML corruption. I have also had to move entire projects into new files in the past.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    If you haven't already, try Panel ---> Verify Function Maps. This has worked for some of my panels that have had the mysterious extra function map entries. I don't know if it will work for your particular panel but it may be worth a shot.
  • Your suggestion worked perfectly, but this actually almost makes things worse. Why the heck didn't the tech support chap suggest this option? This throws my whole AMX world view into question... Don't they know their own features?

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion; it's definitely better than having to recreate the whole panel.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Your suggestion worked perfectly, but this actually almost makes things worse. Why the heck didn't the tech support chap suggest this option? This throws my whole AMX world view into question... Don't they know their own features?

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion; it's definitely better than having to recreate the whole panel.

Some do, some don't. My experience with AMX tech is that 95% of them know the product inside out and backwards, and are an excellent resource. The other 5% are still learning ... but you do get them from time to time. It's inevitable. Most of the time, they seem to be honest about it, at leas with me, but once in a while you do seem to get someone who is either unwilling to admit he doesn't know something, or unaware he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does.
  • DHawthorne wrote:
    but once in a while you do seem to get someone who is either unwilling to admit he doesn't know something, or unaware he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does.

This is inevitable with tech support for specialized products like this. I too have generally had very good experience with AMX tech support.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    TonyAngelo wrote:
    I too have generally had very good experience with AMX tech support.
    Same here. AMX tech support is excellent.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Joe Hebert wrote:
    Same here. AMX tech support is excellent.

Ditto - had great experience myself. Gotten me out of many a jam.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I have no problems with AMX tech support, although there is one in particular who is - IMHO - rather rude, unprofessional, always cuts you off and makes you feel stupid because of the way he says things - but other than that - I'm very happy with the tech support. There are few on there that I'll ask for specifically if / when Cathy answers the phone. :D
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    Of all the tech supports I have ever used, I think AMX is one of the best. They've pulled me out of situations when I've made stupid mistakes that I couldn't see and I'm sure they have their days. I know I'd last about 2 minutes.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    GSLogic wrote:
    I know I'd last about 2 minutes.
    I completely agree! As much as I want to work for AMX, I doubt I'd survive. I'm sure the training they (everyone at AMX) go through is intense!