Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

SIRIUSly speaking

SIRIUS Connect Home Tuner Pro Kit SC-H1P2

Has anyone tried one of these? For $79.99 it sure looks like an inexpensive way to add Sirius radio to a home automation system. All the other tuners I?ve seen that have RS-232 control are several hundred dollars.

What do you guys and gals think?

http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-connect-home-tuner-pro-kit-sch1p2-p-4422.html

Comments

• Options
    You're a very punning guy Joe.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've had one sitting on my desk for months. I've been meaning to whip up a module for it, and even have one started, but really need to activate the thing to test it properly. I just haven't bothered yet ... it was something that looks like a great solution, but I haven't exactly found a lot of problems it could solve yet. We are still mostly selling full tuners, or, failing that, modules that plug into bigger units, like the Niles GXR series or Tune Base.
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Hey Dave,

Did the Sirius Standard Protocol come with the unit? The user manual doesn?t mention it at all and I can?t find it on the web. I called Sirius to inquire about their protocol but that was as successful as asking my dog to bake me a cake. They didn?t have a clue as to what I was talking about.

TIA
  • Options
    Nevermind. I found what I was looking for.
  • Options
    I forgot to follow up on this. I ended up buying one to try it out and I?m happy I did. If you have an install where the client is not going to require any type of front panel control (like in my house :)) then this may be useful for you if you?re looking to save several hundred $s (like I was :)). The jobs that I?ve worked on in the past the client never sees the tuner as it?s buried in a rack and all control is with an AMX touch screen

I can tell you that it works as advertised and it operates just like any other Sirius tuner except that the control and feedback is entirely via RS-232. If you purchase one of these and don?t activate it, then you?ll get the same exact type of functionality you get with any other Sirius tuner that?s not activated. You?ll only get channel 184 which is the preview channel. Although it took me a while to figure out that I needed to issue a power on command in order to hear any audio. I figured that seeing a light go on after plugging it in meant it was powered on but that?s not the case.

The protocol is straight forward and very well documented. The most difficult part for me was finding the right location to mount the outside antenna to get a strong signal 24 hours a day.

The tuner also has a high WAF at my house since wifey can now put on channel 2 and listen to Christmas music around the clock Lucky me?.
  • Options
    Do you happen to have the protocol handy? I'm trying to locate it and am having a difficult time.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    If you look on the AMX website, you'll see a duet module for the Sirius SCHT. In the zip file there's protocol documentation from 2006, I have no idea if it's changed at all - but I do know that the module works for the SCH1P2.
  • Options
    Follow the yellow brick road
    vegastech wrote:
    Do you happen to have the protocol handy? I'm trying to locate it and am having a difficult time.
    jjames wrote:
    If you look on the AMX website, you'll see a duet module for the Sirius SCHT. In the zip file there's protocol documentation from 2006

Not anymore.

You can find them at the link below:

http://amxforums.com/showpost.php?p=29322&postcount=36
  • Options
    Perfect, Thanks!
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed any category and channel name discrepancies since the Sirius XM merge?

I had a SC-H1P2 that went belly up early this year. I finally got around to replacing this week with the SCH2P which is a much nicer rack mountable model and can be found here:

http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-connect-home-tuner-for-professional-installation-sch2p-p-5765.html?osCsid=eef62d2f0deae2fe9cac03615e4e069d

After I plugged the unit in I had immediate RS-232 control without modifying one line of code in my module. (I think someone asked earlier somewhere if the SCH2P and the SC-H1P2 used the same protocol.) All the feedback for artist and song names seem fine. However, while working on a channel line-up guide and going through all the stations I noticed that some of the category and station name feedback isn?t right.

For example channel 81 is listed in the guide as the Strobe under Dance/Electronic category, however, the data I?m getting back is for the category Jzz/Stndrd/Clscl which doesn?t exist anymore (Jazz and Classical are supposed to be two separate categories) and the channel name is coming back as Cinemagc.

Can someone who has Sirius go to channel 81 and see what they get for the category and channel name?

Thanks.
  • Options
    i GET
    Genre: Dance/Elec
    Channel Name: BPM
  • Options
    Clingpeach wrote: »
    i GET
    Genre: Dance/Elec
    Channel Name: BPM
    Thanks for the response but that?s channel 81 for XM isn?t it?
    I?m looking for channel 81 on Sirius.

I get Dance/Elec BPM for channel 36 on Sirius which is correct.
  • Options
    Yes u r right..apologies. I get confused..I have sirrius in the car will get it for you tomorrow if you dont get it before. XM in the house
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    This box will now plug in directly to the newer Marantz AV receivers.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I am getting JzStndrd and Cinemagic on channel 81 here at the office.

Jeff
  • Options
    Thanks for the confirmation Jeff.