Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

New Mvp Ideas

Did anyone watch the latest CSI NY. Why cant they intergrate a camera into it. So there can be a/v functionality.
Its time.....

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Clingpeach wrote:
    Did anyone watch the latest CSI NY. Why cant they intergrate a camera into it. So there can be a/v functionality.
    Its time.....

I'm sure they can. It may just be a direction they don't want to take. I would imagine privacy concerns top the list of reasons not to. I get it all the time from household staff of clients: "are there hidden cameras in the house?" I have, so far, been able to truthfully answer "no" to that every time it was asked (and the very few times I wouldn't have been able to, it wasn't asked :)), but if they were integral to the panel, that would be another matter.

One of the problems is that of "covert" surveillance. If the cameras are obvious, and everyone knows they are there, there is no problem. If there are big signs at every entry stating you might be on camera, there is no problem (legally ... socially maybe more so). But cameras hidden in a panel are probably not legal in most states, and the question is murky when they exist and can be used, even if they are not in actuality.

So my guess is they simply decided to leave cameras to be a separate thing.
  • Interesting. Its not even something that entered my mind. I was looking purely for the "fun" factor of having an audio/video conversation. Which is why I mentioned the mvp panels and not the fixed ones.
    Whats even more remarkable is my a/v guy only mentioned this past week that my household staff had asked if there were any hidden cameras in the house.
    I only have external cameras.
    VERY COINCIDENTAL.
  • annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    With the small PC-based video conference cameras that I've used, they have all had a mechanical shutter which slides across the lense. Interestingly, the new range of Apple computers (with integrated iSight cameras) do not have such a slide. I've heard of people using the iSight camera to monitor the goods in their house when prospective buyers are passing through.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    One of the big reasons that this is unlikely to happen is that there are plenty of AMX end users who are in the area of defence. They tend to be **unhappy** about cameras being on site...

As an aside I got a look at a prototype of the upcoming MVP-5200i a couple of weeks back. Looks better than the MVP-8400 for most applications as it is a more comfortable size and weight to use as a handheld device. (MVP-7500 not considered in my comparison for obvious reasons).

Integrated kickstand does not interfere with docking stations as with the 8400, table top docking station is far more practical than the current MVP-TDS as well. Two thumbs up AMX.

Apparently it is the first panel to be based on G5 architecture (although it will initially ship with G4 firmware). Couldn't figure out how to get into the setup pages on it :(

The AMX website indicates it will be available in January next year, so judging by the R4 remote marketing hype, we should see it around (January + 6) = July where I come from :P
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Auser wrote:
    One of the big reasons that this is unlikely to happen is that there are plenty of AMX end users who are in the area of defence. They tend to be **unhappy** about cameras being on site...

As an aside I got a look at a prototype of the upcoming MVP-5200i a couple of weeks back. Looks better than the MVP-8400 for most applications as it is a more comfortable size and weight to use as a handheld device. (MVP-7500 not considered in my comparison for obvious reasons).

Integrated kickstand does not interfere with docking stations as with the 8400, table top docking station is far more practical than the current MVP-TDS as well. Two thumbs up AMX.

Apparently it is the first panel to be based on G5 architecture (although it will initially ship with G4 firmware). Couldn't figure out how to get into the setup pages on it :(

The AMX website indicates it will be available in January next year, so judging by the R4 remote marketing hype, we should see it around (January + 6) = July where I come from :P

i thougth it was not really a G5 panel, but more of a G4.5 panel :p
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    And here I was getting all over-excited by AMX marketing propaganda. I'll split the difference with you. 4.75. ;)
  • When will AMX allow for intense processing like that of iPhone?
    I'd love to do more smooth scrolling graphics with MVPs. That's my fantasy for the product.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    AlexArtist wrote:
    When will AMX allow for intense processing like that of iPhone?
    I'd love to do more smooth scrolling graphics with MVPs. That's my fantasy for the product.
    I don't know that "allow" is so much the right word as "desire." AMX sells processors ... it's not so important for their panels to do any processing. An iPhone is a full processor in it's own right. A touch panel really only needs to be able to display what the master sends it.
  • But the modero's do have a "Processor" in them. I'm just looking for more Candy visual effects and motions. (I know that might necessitate more ability to "Program" on the panel. But i didn't want to bring that up). The truth is, I've just been diggin a lot on the iPhones and think it'd be cool if AMX panels could act similar.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    AlexArtist wrote:
    But the modero's do have a "Processor" in them. I'm just looking for more Candy visual effects and motions. (I know that might necessitate more ability to "Program" on the panel. But i didn't want to bring that up). The truth is, I've just been diggin a lot on the iPhones and think it'd be cool if AMX panels could act similar.

While it is true that they have processors, they don't have the kind of 'beef' needed to pull off the kind of processing you're referring to. I've long wished they could create (or we) some kind of web browser. However, I also realize that the kind of processing and RAM needed to reliably pull that off would greatly increase the cost and complexity of an already expensive panel.

I went to the Savant product roll-out last Spring and they had some pretty sexy graphics going on in their touch panels. (3D full motion, real time rendering) However, what you found out once you saw what they were doing, was they were using a Mac Server box and the panels were simply remote terminals. So, while Savant was touting very high end graphics capabilities, the 'man behind the curtian' was a Macintosh.

Another side bar to this was that they were using Photoshop to do the panel layout. (ouch!) Every button required 3 layers to create. Each layer dealt with the state of the button. I have panels with hundreds of buttons on them... The thought of doing layout in Photoshop gave me nightmares. Think about aligning a row of buttons in Photoshop. (shudder)

The bottom line is that touch panels have a long way to go to catch up, no matter which flavor you look at right now.
  • ericmedley wrote:
    ... The thought of doing layout in Photoshop gave me nightmares. Think about aligning a row of buttons in Photoshop. (shudder)

Your funny man, and i agree. That would suck. Oh well, it'll happen some day that we have more candy options available. (i agree it's a bit much to do right now.)