Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

R.I.P. HD DVD

It?s been inevitable for a little while but now it?s official, Blu-ray wins. I bought an HD DVD player and several HD DVDs last November, bad decision on my part as they will end up in storage next to my 8-tracks. :)

But it is good that the war is over as we now know what to spec into jobs.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080219/ap_on_hi_te/blu_ray_triumph

Comments

• mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Sony won a format war!?! HAX!!!!11!!
  • Yeh, we ditched our very slow to start Toshiba HDDVD player in our dem room in favour of a new Pioneer Blu-ray player last week. Even slower! And try to find one with RS232 on board!
    Things can only get better!
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Yay . . . good . . . yippee . . . whatever - I could have cared less who won. I just wanted something that has quick boot up times, and an RS232 enabled port!

Perhaps now they can FINALLY start to focus on integration & boot times rather than trying to beat HD-DVD.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    sridley wrote:
    Yeh, we ditched our very slow to start Toshiba HDDVD player in our dem room in favour of a new Pioneer Blu-ray player last week. Even slower! And try to find one with RS232 on board!
    Things can only get better!
    Tell me about it. I just started a job with a Pioneer spec'd, and my boss, with full confidence, assures me it's RS-232. Well, it ain't; IR only. Two steps forward, one step back ...
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    It's been our policy NOT to integrate with any BD or HD player until 1) their boot up time is decent; 2) they resolve all of their bugs; 3) a device has RS-232. The Integra HD-DVD looked promising, hopefully they'll just switch it over to BD soon.
  • I'm glad that for once I haven't gone out and bought any HD players, recorders. It wouldn't surprise me that within the next few years that all DVD's will join the VHS as memory sticks become bigger, fast etc. Just image not moving parts, no dust on the laser pick up, just plug and play.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    I'm glad that for once I haven't gone out and bought any HD players, recorders. It wouldn't surprise me that within the next few years that all DVD's will join the VHS as memory sticks become bigger, fast etc. Just image not moving parts, no dust on the laser pick up, just plug and play.

that's already happening. Look at the use of SSDs (solid state drives http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive ) which is becoming more and more "standard" in laptops...
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    yuri wrote:
    that's already happening. Look at the use of SSDs (solid state drives http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive ) which is becoming more and more "standard" in laptops...
    SSDs? Blah. That?s so yesterday. I?m going to wait until they perfect the CITH (chip in the head) so I can do direct downloads to my brain. I know there is plenty of wasteland up there.