Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Another Sony Checksum Question

I guess I am checksum challenged...

I am working with the new CAV-CV12ES video switcher. I have not done much with checksums, but the protocol file from sony has a broken cell for the checksum example.

Can anyone help me out with some first steps. I cant even verify that my cabling is correct. Also I know that the baudrate is 9600 (in the manual), but it does not list parity or stop bits. Has anyone used this unit & have the answers?

I have searched threads for the "answer", but I can't seem to find the same explination twice...

Attached is the protocol file, any help would be great...

Thanks--Scott

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    From sifting through the gobble-dee-gook it appears that it might be a simple 2s comp Check Sum schema. I could be wrong, but here it goes.

So, for example. here's a short sample command string.
    0x02	0x03	0xF4	0x82	0x00   $CS

You skip the first char. Then add up the next chars,

$03+$F4+$82+$00=$179

You only use the last two bytes of the number, so drop the 'one' off.

$79

Now, two's comp is done this way. You simply take the binary bits and flip all of them.

so, $79 = 0111 1001 binary
    after inverting all the bits you get 1000 0110 which equals $86

Therefor, the check sum for this string is $86.

You use the Bitwise command BNOT to flip the binary bits of a number.

I'm culling this from the formulas in the spredsheet. I may be totally off base. There is also a way of calculating checksum called 1s compilment. I don't think this is what they're doing. Best thing is give it a try and see if it does something.

Then do what I do and skip the whole check sum crap and make a data table with the commands already writte out with the check sum included. :D
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    For the home theater receivers, the cs is calculated as follows:

sum all of the bytes excluding the STX,

subtract one from the sum,

Checksum=BNOT(Checksum) BAND $FF

I am not sure if your device is the same way, but Sony is very consistent.
  • Options
    For the home theater receivers, the cs is calculated as follows:

sum all of the bytes excluding the STX,

subtract one from the sum,

Checksum=BNOT(Checksum) BAND $FF

I am not sure if your device is the same way, but Sony is very consistent.

Thanks! That's an interesting check sum calculation.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    For clarification: in a twos-complement conversion, you subtract one first, then flip the bits; in a ones-complement, you just flip the bits. They are usually used to show a signed number in an unsigned variable space ... positive numbers are normal, and the complement is for negative numbers. A ones-complement has two valid results for zero, and the twos only has one (which is where the subtracting one thing comes from).

If Sony is using a twos-complement for the checksum, and you don't subtract that one first, all the checksums are going to be off. I had a problem with that particular issue while working on a Meridian piece - the docs said use ones-complement, but it was really looking for twos-complement, and I about went nuts wondering why my values were all off by one. Although, I have to admit, some part of me was happy to see even the Meridian techs didn't seem to know the difference.
  • Options
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    For clarification: in a twos-complement conversion, you subtract one first, then flip the bits; in a ones-complement, you just flip the bits. They are usually used to show a signed number in an unsigned variable space ... positive numbers are normal, and the complement is for negative numbers. A ones-complement has two valid results for zero, and the twos only has one (which is where the subtracting one thing comes from).

If Sony is using a twos-complement for the checksum, and you don't subtract that one first, all the checksums are going to be off. I had a problem with that particular issue while working on a Meridian piece - the docs said use ones-complement, but it was really looking for twos-complement, and I about went nuts wondering why my values were all off by one. Although, I have to admit, some part of me was happy to see even the Meridian techs didn't seem to know the difference.

Thanks for the clarification.
  • Options
    siebsieb Posts: 9
    Thanks guys, that was what I was looking for. -- Scott
  • Options
    DHawthorne wrote: »

Dave et al,

As is the case when I'm corrected when wrong, I typically go and investigate my thinking. It was interesting that I too fell prey to the same thing you mentioned.

I had my understanding of 2s comp vs 1 comp backwards. I traced back through the programs I did and found that there was a point when I did a Plasma display that said it used 2s comp in the manual, but in reality did 1s comp. I noted in my project notes that I lost a lot of time trying to figure out what the heck I did wrong with the check sum.

I concluded in my notes that I had gotten 1s and 2s comps backwards and later figured it out. I now realize that my origianl understanding was correct and the manual was wrong and thus, I was now wrong and my origianl asumption, which I concluded was wrong, was in fact correct. :D I've been operating under the incorrect understanding for about a year now...

I'm getting old... first thing to go is the mind...

e