Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Panasonic VProj Warming & Cooling Status

Panasonic Projector PT-D3500 has a duet module in InConcert, this module can detect if the projector is in warming or cooling cycle, although I didn't find a query command for this in Panasonic protocol documentation, I tried to create a buffer for this device to see what strings are being parsed by the module.... the buffer is always empty

I just don't like the idea of using the module (Compiled size 1.46MB) just to get status of Warming and cooling status. Is there an undocumented commands for them??

Any ideas?

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    You can't just create a buffer for duet modules to view the returned strings. Something in the duet mods removes and processes the strings before a created buffer can see them. If you want to view the strings the duet modules usually have a "passback" command that you can send to the comm module in the device's online event or create a data_event handler for the comm module and in that online_event send the "passback command.

I've only tried to do this once and I think it worked. Look in the word doc for this device and see if "passback" is supported.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    The cooling time is an estimation of how long the fan will run. No message is sent from the projector saying that cooling is finished.
  • SensivaSensiva Posts: 211
    Sure??
    The cooling time is an estimation of how long the fan will run. No message is sent from the projector saying that cooling is finished.

The sample TP design with this module has the option to set the warming and cooling periods, and also query them... Are you sure these are not set into the projector??
    vining wrote: »
    You can't just create a buffer for duet modules to view the returned strings. Something in the duet mods removes and processes the strings before a created buffer can see them. If you want to view the strings the duet modules usually have a "passback" command that you can send to the comm module in the device's online event or create a data_event handler for the comm module and in that online_event send the "passback command.

I've only tried to do this once and I think it worked. Look in the word doc for this device and see if "passback" is supported.

if there is no passback can I do this??
    DATA_EVENT[dvVProj]
    {
        string:
        {
         cVProjBuff="cVProjBuff,data.text"
        }
    }

Sensiva wrote:
    if there is no passback can I do this??

No. If there's no "passback" your out of luck.
    Sensiva wrote: »
    Are you sure these are not set into the projector??

You are just telling the module how long to expect the cooling to take.

If possible, I would encourage you to wite your own module for this projector. The Duet module is way big and clumsy.
    You are just telling the module how long to expect the cooling to take.

If possible, I would encourage you to wite your own module for this projector. The Duet module is way big and clumsy.

Thank you, I found something in the manual about PJLink,
    POWR?
    Parameter
    0 = Standby
    1 = Power ?ON?
    2 = Cooling down
    3 = During warm-up

I will try it out and keep you informed

Vining, allow me to check DATA_EVENT code, coz I can't find a reason why it shouldn't work

Thanks
    From the doc file in Panasonic_PTDW5000_v1_0_2_dr1_0_0.zip
    Responses from the device
    The module will automatically interpret replies from the device and pass these on to the application code according to the documented API. Some device replies may not be passed on to the application code.
    To see all replies from the device, unfiltered by the module, use the PASSBACK option Again, the device-specific protocol must be known in order to interpret these responses. Even when PASSBACK is enabled, the module will still interpret device responses according to the standard API as well.
    PASSBACK-<state>	Enable or disable response reporting from the device. When enabled device responses will be sent as strings to the virtual device. 
    Note: By default, this is set to off at startup.

<state> : 0 = Off (default)
              1 = On

PASSBACK-0

• yuriyuri Posts: 861
    cState = "$02,'QPW', $03" (* Check the state of the projector lamp *)

this should be used to check the state of the lamp.

these are the replies:

(* Projector power is off *)
    ACTIVE(FIND_STRING(DATA.TEXT,"$02,'000',$03",1)):
    {}

(* Projector power is on *)
    ACTIVE(FIND_STRING(DATA.TEXT,"$02,'001',$03",1)):
    {}

as far as i know there isn't any warming/cooling state, like a Sharp projector has...
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I generally write my own projector modules because there is very little really that an end user needs to have on a control system: on, off, input, and screen mode. I have, essentially, a boilerplate that I can just change the codes for any new one that we start installing, then adjust it for that model's quirks.
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    yuri wrote: »
    cState = "$02,'QPW', $03" (* Check the state of the projector lamp *)

this should be used to check the state of the lamp.

these are the replies:

(* Projector power is off *)
    ACTIVE(FIND_STRING(DATA.TEXT,"$02,'000',$03",1)):
    {}

(* Projector power is on *)
    ACTIVE(FIND_STRING(DATA.TEXT,"$02,'001',$03",1)):
    {}

as far as i know there isn't any warming/cooling state, like a Sharp projector has...
    Correct. Off and on states only reported. Just done one.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    Panasonic projectors definitely report warming* and cooling status. If you send

"$02, 'Q$S', $03"

the projector will respond with one of the following

"$02, '0', $03" //lamp is off
    "$02, '1', $03" //lamp has started
    "$02, '2', $03" //lamp is on
    "$02, '3', $03" //lamp is cooling

This is the case with at least the following models:
    PT-F100
    PT-LB60U
    PT-D10000U

Two things to note -

* First, there is one quirk about the "lamp started" and "lamp on" feedback. If you query the projecor status every few seconds, the "lamp started" query response is issued once when the projector is started, then "lamp on" is issued even if it is still warming. If I see the "lamp started" feedback I wait 38 seconds (I must have timed it?) then set my status to "projector on". The "off" and "cooling" feedback works properly - "cooling" is issued by the projector until the lamp is off, then "off" is issued.

Second, Panasonic feedback does not indicate what command it is responding to. If you query shutter status

"$02, 'QSH', $03"

it responds with

"$02, '0', $03" //shutter open
    "$02, '1', $03" //shutter closed
    (same as lamp status query response)

So assuming you query more than just the power, it is up to you to track what command you have sent in order to properly process the feedback.
    PJLink
    Colzie wrote: »

"$02, 'Q$S', $03"

This is what I found out once I connected the NI serial port (loaded with Projectors duet module) and looked at the sent strings using Hyperterminal, though it is not documented in Panasonic Protocol PDF.
    Second, Panasonic feedback does not indicate what command it is responding to. If you query shutter status

"$02, 'QSH', $03"

it responds with

So assuming you query more than just the power, it is up to you to track what command you have sent in order to properly process the feedback.
    Yeah... actually it is very annoying... why didn't they just add a header indicating what is this value for... this is how their Plasma's protocol already does .... QPW--> PON

Anyway.. I tried PJLink which is perfect... since I love IP control links, but projector security should be disabled, otherwise a MD5 encryption is required to login into PJLink.

I dont know why they are making it difficult to login into a PJLink session... as if I am logging into FPIs presentation facility.

This is lighting up a new question... Is there a way to get MD5 encryption of string using a NetLinx pre written function, not Java... cause I am still not comfortable with duet... and I don't think I would be :)
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345

"$02, 'Q$S', $03"

This is the case with at least the following models:
    PT-F100
    PT-LB60U
    PT-D10000U

Two things to note -

* First, there is one quirk about the "lamp started" and "lamp on" feedback. If you query the projecor status every few seconds, the "lamp started" query response is issued once when the projector is started, then "lamp on" is issued even if it is still warming. If I see the "lamp started" feedback I wait 38 seconds (I must have timed it?) then set my status to "projector on". The "off" and "cooling" feedback works properly - "cooling" is issued by the projector until the lamp is off, then "off" is issued.

"$02, 'QSH', $03"

it responds with

The manual for the Panasonic PT-DW5100E lists only 7 cmds

PON // poweron
    POF //poweroff
    QPW // query power - result on or off only
    IIS // change source
    QSL // query 1 lamp 2 lamps etc
    LPM // set 1 lamp 2 lamps etc
    and QLP query lamp power

Nothing else is listed.

No mention of warming or cooling. I wrote mt way around it - and the timings appear consistent at least.
    Here is the master list of commands for the PT-Dxxx projectors: