Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

PLEASE FIX ASAP - studio 2.7

Please tell me I'm missing something.

/////////////////////////////////////////
When I have a workspace already open and I NEED to open another workspace, it closes the original workspace but still keeps some of the original workspace files open. I'd like them to open in separate apps.

/////////////////////////////////////////
What happened to the FIND/REPLACE.
When I highlight a word and then select FIND and or REPLACE, the word should be placed in the FIND menu, ready to be searched.

Who is smoking what???? and why would these things get changed????

Comments

• yuriyuri Posts: 861
    hm, you are right, i always have multiple instances op Netlinx Studio open... Won't happen now i guess :p
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    This is getting to be extremely irritating - every time they release a new build, they seem to break something that worked perfectly well before. Someone in quality control really needs to review the testing procedures.

Not only does the Search/Replace dialog not automatically fill in your highlighted text anymore, but even if you cut-and-paste it yourself, the first search still finds the last value entered, not what you just pasted. Also, the "Start at top at first Find" does not work anymore. This is a feature I use extensively, and it is now hopelessly broken. I concur with GSLogic - this needs to be fixed and patched immediately; it is mind boggling that such bugs can even be introduced, let alone escaping testing.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Apparently we are the quality control.
    I'm sticking with 2.6 for a while. :(
  • A few minor things

Ya'll don't miss anything...

V2.7 has a fix in it for problems when a user was double-clicking on AXS/AXI files not being opened properly. The residual effect is that any APW file that is being double-clicked on in explorer will try to load into the currently running NS2. The work-around is for the user to manually start multiple instances of NS2 to get the desired effect.

The Find/Replace dialogs became mode-less in V2.7, so losing the highlighted text to be placed into the dialog was inadvertently dropped.

I promise to clean my bong on a more regular basis. :)
    Another issue with Find/Replace: the "Find Next" is broken. It only works when the dialog is open. Close it and the F3 button does nothing, nor the menu item.
  • SensivaSensiva Posts: 211
    dvalosek wrote: »

V2.7 has a fix in it for problems when a user was double-clicking on AXS/AXI files not being opened properly. The residual effect is that any APW file that is being double-clicked on in explorer will try to load into the currently running NS2. The work-around is for the user to manually start multiple instances of NS2 to get the desired effect.

The Find/Replace dialogs became mode-less in V2.7, so losing the highlighted text to be placed into the dialog was inadvertently dropped.

I can understand what you mean, Look at the filled part not the empty part of the Cup, but we still need an immediate patch.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Not only does the Search/Replace dialog not automatically fill in your highlighted text anymore, but even if you cut-and-paste it yourself, the first search still finds the last value entered, not what you just pasted. Also, the "Start at top at first Find" does not work anymore. This is a feature I use extensively, and it is now hopelessly broken. I concur with GSLogic - this needs to be fixed and patched immediately; it is mind boggling that such bugs can even be introduced, let alone escaping testing.

I just found this problem as well. I'm just as irritated as you. I did find that when you un-tick, then re-tick the "Start at top at first find" it works.

Thinking about downgrading. The new features aren't worth the hassle of functions that worked fine, but are now broke.

Is any one a beta tester here? I know you're not supposed to talk about it, but seriously - who are AMX's beta testers? Do they (AMX & beta testers) not pay attention? Does AMX select dealers that just give "good" feedback instead of dealers that want to help the company by giving constructive criticism? I would almost guarantee that if I was granted beta tester status along with a few other senior members here, that problems like this would NOT occur. I think it's time for an OPEN beta like what was done for Netlinx Studio a few revisions back. As far as things getting fixed? I have posted this elsewhere, but it's time for an updated version. I'd love to see AMX's explanation for putting silly useless programs in front of core tools.

Visual Architect
    April 2006 - VA 1.0
    June 2006 - VA 1.1
    Sept 2006 - VA 1.2
    July 2007 - VA 1.3
    3 minor* builds in 14 months

NetLinx Studio
    July 2004 - NS 2.2
    March 2005 - NS 2.3
    January 2006 - NS 2.4
    August 2006 - NS 2.5
    October 2007 - NS 2.6
    May 2008 - NS 2.7
    5 minor* builds in 46 months
    dvalosek wrote:
    I find no humor in this.
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562

David,
    Can you PLEASE change the FIND and REPLACE searches back to the old style. I can't work having to type in the find feild menu everytime.
    Why can't double clicking on a .APW file just open up a new app with the selected file?
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    why can't clicking on a AXS/AXI file open that file in a new instance? If that is the solution to this problem, please do so. I'm installing NS2.6 again :(
    James, Who said that Beta Tester aren't reporting those bugs... I doubt... I think they test every single feature, but I think AMX Programming engineers are jammed with a freaking long ToDO list.

However this is not an excuse for not being organized and releasing fair quality tools.

pardon me , But I wonder if the Big C has the same tools issue??
    Sensiva wrote: »
    James, Who said that Beta Tester aren't reporting those bugs... I doubt... I think they test every single feature, but I think AMX Programming engineers are jammed with a freaking long ToDO list.

However this is not an excuse for not being organized and releasing fair quality tools.

pardon me , But I wonder if the Big C has the same tools issue??

I'm just saying - it's either one of them, or both of them not doing their jobs.

As far as the Big C having issues - I'm sure they do, but I thought we were better than them in all respects. That is of course why we are dealers, no?
    jjames wrote: »
    That is of course why we are dealers, no?

I Don't think so... I still have other AMX hardware and solution issues but this is not the time or place to discuss, I feel like going to be banned today

WE NEED PATCH!!
    WE NEED PATCH!!
    WE NEED PATCH!!
  • I also need the FIND/REPLACE to work the way it did on v2.6, I use it all the time. Also, the ability to open multiple workspaces is also something that I use all the time. Multiple workspaces opened simultaneouly is vital for teaching, training and looking at modules and functions. How they expect new programmers to learn without the ability to open multiple workspaces? AMX please fix the bugs without bracking the wheels. Netlinx Studio is what drives the company and it is the only serious tool for advanced AMX projects.
  • travtrav Posts: 188
    You can't fight in here... This is the war room!

Don't worry, I found that piss funny.

Hey things happen, how many times have we all 'Fixed' something only to break something else. And these poor dudes and dudettes are dealing with a much larger codebase than we deal with on a daily basis.

Cut them some slack! I know this is a day to day tool that we have all become used to its functions and quirks and when something changes its OMGWTFXPWNTOESHAX!!!111oneeleven++ but really it isn't the end of the world.

PS: Thank F*** I can finally double click on .axs files and have them ACUTALLY load up in Netlinx Studio, don't know how long this has been pissing me off.

PPS: I hear tee tree oil works well....
    trav wrote: »
    Hey things happen, how many times have we all 'Fixed' something only to break something else. And these poor dudes and dudettes are dealing with a much larger codebase than we deal with on a daily basis.

Cut them some slack! I know this is a day to day tool that we have all become used to its functions and quirks and when something changes its OMGWTFXPWNTOESHAX!!!111oneeleven++ but really it isn't the end of the world.
    I'm sure everyone hears it from their clients whenever we screw up - and we then fix it immediately. It's called accountability and owning up to your obligations. I expect no less from AMX.

Here's the scary thing . . . there were beta testers and other people within AMX testing this - and some of these issues stick out like a sore thumb. I compare this to having a kitchen touch panel control a master bedroom touch panel because the device addresses were backwards and it wasn't caught with the 2 weeks of testing. Unacceptable.
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    I only expect the best from AMX, this is why I ONLY sell and program AMX.
    I don't want to change my thinking.
  • Beta Testers.....

We are always inerested in BETA testers. AMX will always encourage your participation/feedback. If you are interested in previewing the next stable build of NetLinx Studio send a response via this forum. There will be development on the next gen of Studio during 4Q of this year. I will be glad to add you to the pool of beta testers.
    With all due respect, a working application like this, that professionals rely on every day to due their job, shouldn't be released in a form that needs beta testing. If I had time to beta test, I would be happy to; but I can't, I'm too busy with my customers. The testing cycle on this release was deficient, that is all there is to it. This is not a hyperbolic, "the world is ending" reaction - the search feature is one I use extensively to navigate my files (seeing that so many basics are missing in the first place, like being able to go to a specific event). It most definitely does cut into my productivity, and I really don't have time to play around with workarounds.
    danconde wrote: »
    We are always inerested in BETA testers. AMX will always encourage your participation/feedback. If you are interested in previewing the next stable build of NetLinx Studio send a response via this forum. There will be development on the next gen of Studio during 4Q of this year. I will be glad to add you to the pool of beta testers.

Count me in.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    I can understand the odd obscure bug here or there, but these bugs are so obvious that I don't understand how they could be missed if there was any testing done at all. Either they don't test the software and let us do their testing for them or their test environment is so antiseptic that it doesn't model anything close to the real world.

When I installed 2.7 and rebooted, I got the Windows dialog that said 'System has recovered from a serious error'. I didn't realize it was talking about installing 2.7.
    Paul
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    a_riot42 wrote:
    When I installed 2.7 and rebooted, I got the Windows dialog that said 'System has recovered from a serious error'. I didn't realize it was talking about installing 2.7.
    That's a good one!
    OK, how do you go back to 2.6? I got some weird $hit going on and I need to see if it's compiler related.

To check out the 5200i AWAKE & STANBY Data_Event handlers I undated to 2.7 and installed the new .371 firmware for my NI-4000 and everything just started getting weird. Button pushes don't work, the program doesn't retrieve the serial number at start up to allow my modules to work that I wrote to require S/N validation and I get memory errors in diagnostics during boot up which I didn't before.

My program file size is the same so I'm thinking the compiler is doing something different or something, I don't know. I did a clean disk and re-installed the previous firmware .354 and still insufficient memory.

I haven't added any code or done anything else that I think could be causing this type of problem other than changing to 2.7 and the firmware which I changed back so my next thought is to go back to the previous compiler in NS2 2.6 and give it a go. So where is it? I can't find it on the AMX site.
    Well I pulled NS2 2.5 from my laptop and no joy. Loaded non duet frimware .148 and it worked. I was running duet .354 to use the Virtual KP mod so I don't know what the heck is going on. I'll try .354 again a adjust duet memory via telnet but last night it gave me to option of 2-8 and w/ 8 it wouldn't run, 4 wouldn't run so I went back to 2. I think it may have originally been 3. I had problems with this a long time ago where it wouldn't let me increase the duet memory allocation.

I just want to see the new awake and standby events not re-invent the systems, geez!

edit!

Well that didn't work :mad: :confused:
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    vining,

Did you try just removing AWAKE and STANDBY from your code? If you have the following, the BUTTON_EVENT won't fire:
    DEFINE_DEVICE

dvTP = 10008:1:0

DEFINE_EVENT

DATA_EVENT[dvTP] {

ONLINE: {
          SEND_STRING 0,'Online'
       }

OFFLINE: {
          SEND_STRING 0,'Offline'

}

AWAKE: {
          SEND_STRING 0,'Awake'

}

STANDBY: {
          SEND_STRING 0,'Standby'

}

}

BUTTON_EVENT[dvTP,1] { //will not fire.

PUSH: {
          send_string 0,"'Yo'"
       }

}

If AWAKE and STANDBY are commented out then the BUTTON_EVENT fires as expected. I'm not surprised that the two new events don't work yet as they need firmware to support it but I was surprised to find that the existence of them in the program yields undesirable results.
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Please add a way so I can export the IP's for all my boxes to my USB stick and import them onto another computer with studio.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    I upgraded a 3100 to 371 and it was doing what you describe. Button presses weren't acknowledged and other weirdness. Rolled back to 354 and things were working again. I also got the insufficient memory errors with 371 on a 4100 and quickly rolled back as well. I then made some other changes and tried 371 again on the 41000 and so far no problems. I wonder if it takes a few reboots to overcome the problems?!?
    Paul
    JoeHebert wrote:
    Did you try just removing AWAKE and STANDBY from your code? If you have the following, the BUTTON_EVENT won't fire:
    I've tried so many combinations of things its hard to keep track but yes and lastly I removed the TP completely from code just to get back to pre .371, pre 2.7 and pre 5200i.

a_riot42 wrote:
    I then made some other changes and tried 371 again on the 41000 and so far no problems. I wonder if it takes a few reboots to overcome the problems?!?
    I had to go back to non duet .148 and right now I'd be happy to get back to .354. I gotta go through the code and see if there's any I not seeing that could be contributing to my dilemma. Maybe my older 4000 was poisoned by 371 and is now slowly dying which is why I tried clean disc.

One step forward, 14 steps backwards.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Please add a way so I can export the IP's for all my boxes to my USB stick and import them onto another computer with studio.
    Good suggestion Thomas. I'll second that emotion.

I see the IP settings in the registry under the following branch:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AMX Corp.\NetLinx Studio\Default IP Settings

I would never recommend that anyone mess with the registry by exporting said branch from the registry (only the selected branch, not the entire registry), copying the exported branch .reg file to another computer and then import it into the registry by double clicking the .reg file. You?ll never catch me recommending that to anyone. Not in a million years because if anyone messes with the registry they could cause enough harm that might bring an end to civilization as we know it.
    SITREP

Running firmware .148, NS2 2.5 and no 5200i related code (data_event). With this setup code runs fine.

Since the underlying problem seems to be some memory issue I commented out some includes and their related dependent code to reduce file size down to around 1 meg.

re-compile/re-send and it loaded with out a problem.

Install firmware .371, re-compile/re-send. Loads with out a problem.

Open NS2 2.7, re-compile/re-send. Loads with out a problem.

Un-comment previously commented code. re-compile/re-send. Loads with out a problem.

Un-comment 5200i related code w/ data_event (w/ awake & standby). re-compile/re-send. Loads with out a problem but button pushes don't work right. Even though awake & standy are in TP_5's data_event for the 5200i, button pushes on TP_1 (MVP-8400) don't work right and quite possible all other TPs are affected.

Comment out awake & standby for TP_5 (5200i) data_event. re-compile/re-send. Loads with out a problem. All button pushes are back to normal.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

The intial memory issues was probably do to my file size being to large to load the new firmware because it must need enough space for the new firmware, plus the old firmware and the running code. So my guess is between the 3 files I was slightly under the space requirement.

I loaded NS2 2.7 which is when I learned of the AWAKE & STANDBY Data_Event handlers and becasue of a subsequent post relating to this I upgraded firmware which I thought would permit this. Boy was I wrong.

What's that saying? Curiosity killed the cat. After this BS I wish someone would shoot me and end my curiosity.
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    vining wrote: »
    OK, how do you go back to 2.6? I got some weird $hit going on and I need to see if it's compiler related.
    I have it and can ftp it to my server if you still need it.