Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules

Polycom HDX9004 Codec

We are using the HDX9004 duet module with a NI3000(set the duet memory to the maximum of 8 meg) but the unit lags badly at certain points(no real set point or actions trigger this) the cammands always catch up eventually after 5 - 10 secs and perform all the commands send (the send commands gemerally are camera movement or preset recall). Has anybody used this module successfully or is this as good as it gets (i have updated all the firmware as that seems to be the only reply you get from tech support. Any ideas or experiences greatly appreciated.

Comments

• AMXJeffAMXJeff Posts: 450
    I hate to tell you this, but you should call Tech Support (800) 222-0193 and report the problem, they may already know of this issue. But it will also get the ITG department involved if this is really a problem.

Thanks for Reporting this issue.
  • alanhalanh Posts: 30
    Polycom HDX9004

Got a slightly different module from AMX UK that although misses a few commands is a lot more stable and responsive that the Duet module in Tech centre, the problem is now solved but i would be grateful if anybody has or does use the duet module from the Tech centre and gets it to work if they could post some comments, you will know if the module is not working correctly as the response to your keypresses is awful some of the time, this was definately a module issue and not a wireless reception problem.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    I've looked at a few AMX provided Polycom codec modules and, I hate to say it but, an early version of a Netlinx module seems to work the best - even with the new HD codecs. Strangely, I've got a number of AMX provided Netlinx modules for Polycom codecs, different revisions of the same module from memory, and the API changes significantly from module to module.

These are probably all good reasons to roll your own...
  • cmatkincmatkin Posts: 86
    Hi,
    I have been doing a lot of beta testing with the HDX codec?s and Polycom.
    The Polycom API fails to send notifications randomly. This causes any module to loose track of what is going on.
    The main areas that are affected are.
    Content Far Play/Stop notifications.
    Content Near Play/Stop notifications.
    Call disconnected notifications.
    Some other API irregularities are that the API responds with strings ending in $0D$0A and $0A$0D and occasionally a $0D or $0A.
    We have spent the last 1? years with the HDX codec?s and are developing our own module that manages all of the bugs within the API.
    It is recommended to upgrade to the latest version 2.02 as this fixes a lot of issues with the firmware and API.

Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Craig
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I have been reverting modules lately from Duet to NetLinx whenever feasible. My experience is that if it can be done in NetLinx, it is generally quicker and more reliable. I suspect the problem is that conforming to the Duet API adds a significant processing overhead ... quick and dirty might not be as modular and reusable, but it is generally much quicker. I'll also use my own modules over an AMX provided one for devices that don't have a lot going on, because I can streamline them to my needs, where AMX is forced to make them do everything possible of the device. That approach is not useful for really complex things like media servers, but for something like a display monitor or receiver, I find I am much happier in the long run.

The bottom line to me is that whatever increased performance Duet brought to the table has been eclipsed by the need to make the packaged modules do everything possible, and conform to the API for modularity's sake. And since the API is primarily geared towards interoperability with suites like VA, which I don't uses, I can do better without the bloat. The newer processors have not quite increased in power enough to make said bloat insignificant.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Auser wrote: »
    I've looked at a few AMX provided Polycom codec modules and, I hate to say it but, an early version of a Netlinx module seems to work the best - even with the new HD codecs. Strangely, I've got a number of AMX provided Netlinx modules for Polycom codecs, different revisions of the same module from memory, and the API changes significantly from module to module.

These are probably all good reasons to roll your own...

I find the same thing many times in my experience. I'll try both the Duet and Netlinx versions and quite often find the Netlinx version more stable, quicker, etc... There have been two occasions when the reverse was true. I tend to not try and run Duet on older NI masters due to the low amount of available Duet memory. Or at best, I'll load the Duet firmware but not any Duet modules.
  • HDX Duet Module

I am using a module for an HDX9002, and the lag time has not been a factor. The only issue that I am having is that the client has requested that they wanted the " marks removed. I cannot seem to get this accomplished. Does anyone have any input on this one? I have the latest firmware and the latest duet module loaded.
  • HDX9004 Eagleeye camera speed

I am trying to make an EagleEye camera pan in a continuous motion l-r and r-l. I can't seem to slow the camera speed down. These are installed in large classrooms. The instructor would like a slow pan to view all the students.
  • Like Biamp, Polycom has hired someone to write their own module for both AMX and Crestr0n. It's in the download section of their website.

http://offers.polycom.com/go/polycom/amx_code

or

http://offers.polycom.com/go/polycom/********_code (I'm sure that will be blocked...)