Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

PLEASE FIX ASAP - studio 2.7

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Thanks but I got 2.5 from my laptop which is fine for now.
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    vining wrote: »
    Thanks but I got 2.5 from my laptop which is fine for now.
    Cool.

Very glad I checked in to the forum to have a bit of a read before I installed 2.7 I must say...
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    vining wrote: »
    What's that saying? Curiosity killed the cat. After this BS I wish someone would shoot me and end my curiosity.
    I was curious about AWAKE and STANDBY also which is why I tried the small program I mentioned earlier in this thread. I was at a loss why I couldn?t get the button event to fire with emulate a device. I thought I was doing something wrong but I couldn?t imagine how I was screwing up something so simple and so I thought it might be a problem with 2.7. It finally dawned on me to try the same program without AWAKE and STANDBY and sure enough all was well. Nothing was wrong with 2.7 other than allowing me to compile with events that don?t play well at the moment.

I should have posted my findings a couple of days ago as it probably would have saved you some aggravation. I feel your pain. So instead I will be the first to volunteer to pull the trigger and put you out of your misery. :)
    Joe Hebert wrote:
    So instead I will be the first to volunteer to pull the trigger and put you out of your misery.
    Thanks, I needed that.

If it was just the AWAKE & STANDBY all by itself I probably would have figured it out straight away but changing NS2 and my NI firmware (which was the real cog in the wheel) I had too many things going wrong at the same time..

It is very odd how the AWAKE & STANDBY in one DATA_EVENT affects the other TPs though. That I never could have imagined.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I am having a problem in 2.6 and I was wondering if someone could check 2.7 to see if this has changed. (I started a major install the day after 2.7 was released and decided to wait on the upgrade until after I complete the install :) ). Anyway, the problem I am having is I have 5 processors. I am trying to compile the processors using the Compile as NetLinx shortcut button without having to make each processor active. The problem occurs because I am using Duet modules on almost all of the processors and compiling always errors out because it can't find the .tko. It seems like Compile as NetLinx is ignoring the possibility of .jar files. If I make the system active and Compile the System, everything works fine.

Jeff
  • NetLinx Studio 2.7 Bugs

No we are not smoking anything so unfortunately have to take responsibilty for these bugs. We apologize for any inconvenience and will get this fixed as quick as possible. Rolling back to v2.6 is an option, this release was slated primarily to support MVP5200i but a few "fixes" were done and backfired on us.
    Next release is planned for May 23 to fix the following:
    'Find and Replace', 'DDEEXE' registry entry(MSOffice bug), Help File update, and 'Open Multiple Workspace support'
    Doug Hall
    AMX Product Management
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    Doug Hall wrote: »
    No we are not smoking anything so unfortunately have to take responsibilty for these bugs. We apologize for any inconvenience and will get this fixed as quick as possible. Rolling back to v2.6 is an option, this release was slated primarily to support MVP5200i but a few "fixes" were done and backfired on us.
    'Find and Replace', 'DDEEXE' registry entry(MSOffice bug), Help File update, and 'Open Multiple Workspace support'
    Doug Hall
    AMX Product Management
    Doug,
    YOU da MAN!
    This is why we all love AMX!!!!! :)

- sorry about the smoking comment: I do get a little to passionate about my AMX.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Doug Hall
    AMX Product Management
    Doug,

We all appreciate the hard work. I think my problem is that when we've been receiving near perfect software & products for several years, when something falls short of the standard - the general question of "what the heck?!?" is made. We understand no one is perfect, and truly appreciate all the hard work everyone puts in. Unfortunately, we all know it's much easier to point out problems than it is praise - a trait I for one need to change.

Thanks for the update, I'm sure I speak for all when I say: "I can't wait!!" :D
  • Beyond Studio 2.7

All.
    We really appreciate your understanding and patience! As long as we are on topic, could you give us a top ten list of things you would like to see in future versions? I know that we have asked before, and we are listening, but try to stretch a little... Would you like to see applications combined, interactive, split up, all in one, one for all...
    How can we make your jobs easier on the software side?
    Again, thank you, our core group in the field is what makes everyone successful.
    Doug
    Doug,

I personally would like to see an integrated software solution so I don't have three or four programs running at once (NS, TPD4, IRedit, KP Builder.) As far as requests, I'm not sure if you've seen this thread, but on pages 7 and 8 there's a summary of the feature requests.

http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=590&page=7

I'm super busy or else I'd elaborate on everything. ;)

P.S. - the entire thread is a GREAT read and can give you some ideas. Some of the ideas are old, but . . . the biggest thing I'd like to see is the removal of Scintilla for the editor and use something a bit more modernized.
    Number 1 on my list is a request to get rid of (or at least be able to turn off) the new ?feature? introduced in version 2.6.
    FEATURE - Will only transfer TP4 files to G4 devices that have matching device types and resolutions. Therefore, the user will not be able to transfer an R-4 Remote type TP4 file to a MVP-7500 type panel.
    This also means we can?t transfer a CV7 file into an MVP-8400 or transfer a CV12 into a CV17, etc. We never had this limitation before and I for 1 think the new feature is a bad bad thing. It sure isn't making my job any easier.
  • SensivaSensiva Posts: 211
    Hello Doug,

As already mentioned, we all appreciate your considering of immediate patch.

Regarding top ten requests for next versions, its hard to tell, I am suggesting an online survey.

You may get the list of all requests here http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=590 and and in an online survey , let all programmers to assign the priorities to each request (1st 2nd 3rd...etc)... by simple math you may be able to determine which is the most feature required for the next thread.

I hope my English is correct.

Thank you
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    All.
    We really appreciate your understanding and patience! As long as we are on topic, could you give us a top ten list of things you would like to see in future versions? I know that we have asked before, and we are listening, but try to stretch a little... Would you like to see applications combined, interactive, split up, all in one, one for all...
    Again, thank you, our core group in the field is what makes everyone successful.
    Doug

Add the export/import of IP's. in the communication section.
    I like the 'all in one' idea too
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I would like to vote against the all in one idea. I don't mind if you can launch TP Design from Studio, but I do not want to be forced to run all programs when I am only interested in editing a few lines of code. Also, running multiple instances would get interesting.

Jeff

P.S.
    I apologize if I am not picturing the same thing as others, but I'm in the middle of a big install with a short timeframe :)
    I would like to see a global variable for a BUTTON_EVENT, this would be a time saver!

Ctrl-Shift-V: would popup a floating copy/paste window which contains editable quick saved lines of text

KEEP the color code sequence even if you are in an include file/module (I will fly to Dallas and buy you guy/girls a drink for this one)

I don't think I would like the all in one application idea.
    Seems like your asking for headaches, but I've been wrong before?... I thnk. :)
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I would like to vote against the all in one idea. I don't mind if you can launch TP Design from Studio, but I do not want to be forced to run all programs when I am only interested in editing a few lines of code. Also, running multiple instances would get interesting.

Jeff

P.S.
    I apologize if I am not picturing the same thing as others, but I'm in the middle of a big install with a short timeframe :)
    Same feelings here. I?d much prefer to see the time spent fixing bugs and adding new features. I sure don?t want to be forced to wait to launch some massive all in one program just for the sake of only having one app open on the desktop. Maybe I?m missing the big picture as well.
    Trigger a function from "Control a device"!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate always having to create a button_event just to execute a function
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    1) Better code completion with constants, variables, and function names available.

2) The ability to ctrl click an identifier and go to its declaration. Bookmarks are lame for this and get reset every time you open the app.

3) The abililty to pass a structure to a module or return one from a function.

4) Better debugging with the ability to see module variables in the debugger.

5) Better resource management available to teh programmer, like a unix top or windows task manager so that we can see when the CPU is bogging down or if there are memory leaks, or a module is hoggingh memory.

6) Sticky variables in the debug window so that I don't have to reset all my watch variables every time the app crashes.

These are a few that come to mind. The all-in-one thing sounds like a bad idea. All it does is save you a couple clicks and creates headaches for up/down grading the apps. Who wants to start multiple programs to change a line of code or read an IP address?
    Thanks,
    Paul
  • SmallSmall Posts: 9
    Time for my 10 pence worth...

First off, great to see the question being asked by an AMX representative - sounds to me like we're in for a big Studio revamp (v3?), which, incidently, the big C are doing this year for all their software.

So, here's my list.. [appologies for repeated suggestions]

NX Studio:
    1. Multi-colour highlighter pen (ala Word)
    2. Custom collapse areas - as well as the obvious push/release, etc..
    3. Office 2007 style toolbars - I'll probably get loads of grief for that one!
    4. The ability to open a terminal window over the IP connection - if I wanted to go in via serial, I'd have stuck with AxcessX and Axcent2's. The big C can do it [dig].
    5. Be able to have more than one workspace open in a single application.
    6. Emulate a PUSH or BUTTON_EVENT directly from the code - like the old AxcessX Ctrl+A (or something like that) - I just don't get on with the 'emulate device', I find it a bit clumsy.

Other:
    1. The ever recurring "TPD4 toolbars not re-aligning after a res or window change."
    2. The ability to export a systems non-volatile memory - I had to upgrade a customer to a NI-3100 from a NI-700 that had a shed load of non-volatile variables set including about 50 presets all containing about 20 variables each!! Copying them manually would have taken days, so we just master/slaved the systems, which wasn't ideal. Unless there is a way that has worked for anyone? - AMX support couldn't help.
    3. Why does a NX need so long to reboot? It's so painful waiting 3 mins to see if a minor change has worked. Am I being unreasonable now?
    4. Web based panels that can be stored in the processor (ala X-Panel). I'm sick of telling customers they have to buy a panel that sits in a comms room and never gets touched. And please don't anyone mention a G3 HTML panel - I'll install a CR?$TR0N system before doing that! You wouldn't buy a HD telly and plug in an Atari 2600! [actually, I might try that...]
    5. Last, but not least, I don't agree with the all-in-one-app approach. Although a toolbar to lauch other apps from each app would be nice.
    6. Actually there's one more - please AMX bods, update the NX Studio Icon. [That's just picky]

Cheers me dears..

Paul
    This has been asked before but not in this thread so I'd like to be able to view strings sent to IP devices like we can with serial connected devices.

All in One is a big negative. After one app crashes I go to another app until the crashed app re-opens. If it were all in one what would I do, spend time w/ my wife?

Ok, my wife votes for the all in one!
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Small wrote: »
    NX Studio:
    1. Multi-colour highlighter pen (ala Word)
    Like it
    2. Custom collapse areas - as well as the obvious push/release, etc..
    Don't need it
    3. Office 2007 style toolbars - I'll probably get loads of grief for that one!

WHAT!!!11!???
    4. The ability to open a terminal window over the IP connection - if I wanted to go in via serial, I'd have stuck with AxcessX and Axcent2's. The big C can do it [dig].
    What do you need a terminal connection for? Open up telnet :p
    5. Be able to have more than one workspace open in a single application.
    That's probably going to be fixed soon
    6. Emulate a PUSH or BUTTON_EVENT directly from the code - like the old AxcessX Ctrl+A (or something like that) - I just don't get on with the 'emulate device', I find it a bit clumsy.
    Good idea :)

Other:
    1. The ever recurring "TPD4 toolbars not re-aligning after a res or window change."
    Don't quite get why this isn't fixed yet :|
    2. The ability to export a systems non-volatile memory - I had to upgrade a customer to a NI-3100 from a NI-700 that had a shed load of non-volatile variables set including about 50 presets all containing about 20 variables each!! Copying them manually would have taken days, so we just master/slaved the systems, which wasn't ideal. Unless there is a way that has worked for anyone? - AMX support couldn't help.

Hmmm ;)
    3. Why does a NX need so long to reboot? It's so painful waiting 3 mins to see if a minor change has worked. Am I being unreasonable now?
    I know the Big C ones don't need that long to reboot, must be that Duet thing :)
    4. Web based panels that can be stored in the processor (ala X-Panel). I'm sick of telling customers they have to buy a panel that sits in a comms room and never gets touched. And please don't anyone mention a G3 HTML panel - I'll install a CR?$TR0N system before doing that! You wouldn't buy a HD telly and plug in an Atari 2600! [actually, I might try that...]

They have the virtual keypad for that (w00pti****iteed00)
    5. Last, but not least, I don't agree with the all-in-one-app approach. Although a toolbar to lauch other apps from each app would be nice.
    I have a toolbar like that: the Quicklaunch bar :p
    6. Actually there's one more - please AMX bods, update the NX Studio Icon. [That's just picky]

Update to what? :)
    Cheers me dears..

Paul

Same
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Two things that i would to see changed (next to all the other things that have already been mentioned)

- A proper (standalone) debugger.
    The one we are using now is just no good. I can't check variables from modules that are use more than once, breakpoints don't always work, etc

- A way to update AMX apps, without having to download the complete program.
    What would happen if Microsoft had an update for Windows XP and made use download the complete program again? Why do i have to download 50mb for NS and even more for VA for a small amount of bug fixes / changes?

Yuri
  • ipssheldonipssheldon Posts: 106
    The one glaring issue that I would love to see resolved (unless this is just something that occurs on my laptop) is the requirement to always have to disconnect a TPD4 connection before downloading the program. If I don't disconnect in TPD4, I will almost certainly crash TPD4 when I do download the associated program to the master that I was just connected to. I realize that TPD4 will lose the connection when the master reboots, but why can't one application check with all of the other related AMX applications first and properly close the connections before issueing the reboot to the processor. I would think that the AMX engineers for the various apps could all get together and find how best to do this cleanly, so that if, by chance, we forget to do the manual disconnect in the field that the software will do it for us. Sometimes, the TPD4 crash will force me to even reboot my laptop in order to get TPD4 to even run again. When you are in the field trying to make a quick fix on a problem and you have to wait for an entire PC reboot, it can be a killer.

Does this happen to anyone else or just me?

I realize that this is a Netlinx thread, but it is the Netlinx download/reboot that causes the crash, so it certainly seemed related to me.

Just my thoughts. Thanks for asking.

Sheldon Samuels
    ipssheldon wrote:
    I would think that the AMX engineers for the various apps could all get together and find how best to do this cleanly, so that if, by chance, we forget to do the manual disconnect in the field that the software will do it for us.
    Even an auto disconnect after transfer(s) option in TPD4 would be a big step in the right direction. There?s no debugging with TPD4 so keeping the connection alive after a transfer doesn?t really buy us anything anyway.
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    Even an auto disconnect after transfer(s) option in TPD4 would be a big step in the right direction. There?s no debugging with TPD4 so keeping the connection alive after a transfer doesn?t really buy us anything anyway.

This has always confused me. Wasn't there a horrible bug that if you didn't disconnect before rebooting the master there'd be a big SNAFU? Surely I hope Doug and everyone else at AMX who frequents the board doesn't forget about this thread as well.

http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=590

Even though it's 2 years old - there are still great suggestions in there. It's not a sticky without reason. ;)

I started thinking a bit, and I'll have to join everyone on this: an all-in-one would not be that great. The reasons people have presented are probably the same reasons Microsoft doesn't have an all-in-one Office program. Could you imagine running Excell, Word, Powerpoint and Access all at the same time?

However, I would like to see an integration between Studio and IREdit. Perhaps just the "Quick List" that's in IREdit. I've been using something that I had created that reads IRL files and puts it in a "Quick List" format that I can change the opacity and "Stay on Top" settings just so I don't have to jump between NS2 & IREdit. See attached.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    One thing I forgot to mention is that it sure would be nice to have some way in Control/Emulate a Device, to access command history rather than having to type the same commands over and over again. Being able to call a function and being able to clear the output would be nice too.
    Paul
  • pauldpauld Posts: 106
    jjames wrote: »
    ...However, I would like to see an integration between Studio and IREdit. Perhaps just the "Quick List" that's in IREdit. I've been using something that I had created that reads IRL files and puts it in a "Quick List" format that I can change the opacity and "Stay on Top" settings just so I don't have to jump between NS2 & IREdit. See attached.

I Like it, Nice job jjames.
    I would also like to see some form of integration between Studio and IREdit.

Paul
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    pauld wrote: »
    I Like it, Nice job jjames.
    I would also like to see some form of integration between Studio and IREdit.

Paul
    [gripe]
    I would like IREdit to just work. (But that's another thread...)
    [/gripe]
  • jprovanjprovan Posts: 16
    I thought that I had done something to my system that caused this issue. I am glad to see (not glad) that I am not the only one that is experiencing this. Can 2.6 be added to the download area under "Older versions of NetLinx" or something similar until a fix is available ? This really is a handicap in a production environment.
  • trobertstroberts Posts: 228
    Install or not to install

So in short, I am guessing from what I am reading the new features are not worth the bugs that will be a result of installing and using the new version of netlinx studio. Can someone confirm?
    Thanks