Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Zigbee Gateway Lockups

Greetings,

I have an R4 in my house. Every week or so the NXR-ZGW locks up, requiring a power cycle. The R4 is not locked, just the gateway. All communication with the R4 is through the queing module.

Has anyone experienced lockups as I have desribed?

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I have not noticed this particular problem with any of the units we have installed, nor the unit at the office. I am very interested in seeing what the cause is tho as we just installed 4 of these things in a fairly important job and them locking up this frequently would be VERY bad. What firmware are you running on both the remote and the gateway? Is there anything else that might be interfering wirelessly? Have you tried moving to a different Zigbee channel?

Jeff
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I've seen them fall offline when when their buffer overflows with to much data but this shouldn't be your problem if your using the queueing module. They do take some time to come back online line when this happens. Might just be defective, I've had several that didn't work but that was in part due the the convoluted firmware update routine.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Gateway: 1.01.15

R4 2.61.30
    R4 Zigbee Version 1.01.13

Channel is 19

Channel 19 was recommended by AMX tech support.
    That is what I am using. I am curious why AMX tech support recommended channel 19 tho. Are you not using any 802.11b/g wireless networking? Here is a section from technote #839:
    # Under the Channel section select the down arrow key and choose

* Pure Zigbee Environment with NO other competing RF signal in the 2.4 band: Select any channel between 11 ? 26
    * Co-existing with 802.11 b/g network or other wireless devices in the 2.4 band: Select one of the following channels only ? 15, 20 or 26.

I would suggest trying a different channel to start. If you have it, or can afford to add it to the job, you might consider picking up a Wi-Spy device. It will show you if there is any interference present.

Jeff
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    Co-existing with 802.11 b/g network or other wireless devices in the 2.4 band: Select one of the following channels only – 15, 20 or 26.
    I would suggest trying a different channel to start. If you have it, or can afford to add it to the job, you might consider picking up a Wi-Spy device. It will show you if there is any interference present.

I'm glad you reminded me of that. When I originally set up the R4, I chose one of those channels. After talking with tech support, I was told that I could/would get better throughput on channel 19.

There is 802.11b/g in my environment. In fact the R4 cradle sits at the other end of the couch from an MVP-8400i.
    Based on a quick search in google, and some very brief skimming of documents, you might be best off starting with channel 26 (unless there is some reason you are avoiding it.

Jeff
    Thanks, I'll switch it tonight.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368