Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

dlink router

hjlee918hjlee918 Junior MemberPosts: 8
Is there any one who has an issue with dlink router and amx touchpanel? MVP7500 doesn't seem to be working with dlink router (D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N). I changed to the linksys router and it seems to be working ok. Is there a compatibility issue with dlink router?

Thanks

Comments

  • ericmedleyericmedley Senior Member - 4000+ posts Posts: 4,177
    Personally, I'd ditch the 'N' wireless. It has proven to be a bit of a boondoggle. Go with a good 'G'

    'N' has had range issues and that's bad for the touch panel's wireless cards which aren't that sensative anyway.
  • jjamesjjames Just another dude Posts: 2,906
    I'm going to guess you're broadcasting 802.11n? If so . . . disable 802.11n and only broadcast "g" and "b".

    The AMX TPs don't play nice with 802.11n - we refuse to install "N" routers.
  • hjlee918hjlee918 Junior Member Posts: 8
    WAP200

    Thanks for the reply. I have WAP200. Can I connect this to the dlink router and setting the TP so that it only connect through WAP200 ? Would this work?

    Thanks

    John
  • jjamesjjames Just another dude Posts: 2,906
    hjlee918 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I have WAP200. Can I connect this to the dlink router and setting the TP so that it only connect through WAP200 ? Would this work?

    Thanks

    John
    If you disable the wireless broadcasting on the wireless router, then yes.
  • hjlee918hjlee918 Junior Member Posts: 8
    Re:
    jjames wrote: »
    If you disable the wireless broadcasting on the wireless router, then yes.


    Even though I disable dlinks wireless function, the panel still not getting ip info from the router.

    John
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Old Timer Posts: 4,584
    hjlee918 wrote: »
    Even though I disable dlinks wireless function, the panel still not getting ip info from the router.

    John

    Unfortunately, there are so many reasons for something like that it would be hard to advise you without someone there reporting what works and what doesn't. However, if it works with the Linksys, I'd just ditch the DLink and use it somewhere else where it's not critical. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to mess around too long with things.
  • jjamesjjames Just another dude Posts: 2,906
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there are so many reasons for something like that it would be hard to advise you without someone there reporting what works and what doesn't. However, if it works with the Linksys, I'd just ditch the DLink and use it somewhere else where it's not critical. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to mess around too long with things.

    Good call - I missed that he had a Linksys router available.
  • hjlee918hjlee918 Junior Member Posts: 8
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there are so many reasons for something like that it would be hard to advise you without someone there reporting what works and what doesn't. However, if it works with the Linksys, I'd just ditch the DLink and use it somewhere else where it's not critical. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to mess around too long with things.

    Thanks for your advice. The linksys router I have is G only and I have couple of n laptops and desktops that enjoying faster connection. I'm trying to stick with 'n' speed if it doesn't give any stability/ compatibility issue. I'll try linksys 'n' router this weekend and post the result later.
  • jjamesjjames Just another dude Posts: 2,906
    hjlee918 wrote: »
    I'm trying to stick with 'n' speed if it doesn't give any stability/ compatibility issue.
    Let us know how that works out for you. Good luck!
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Junior Member Posts: 1,164
    The only issue that I have ever heard of with the Dlink routers were the 5 port units. I would agree with the others about the issue being the use of the 'N' type. I have around 100 dlink in use at this minute with no issues.
  • jjamesjjames Just another dude Posts: 2,906
    Absolutely - a router is a router is a router. An "n" router with AMX wireless panels . . . bad.
  • HedbergHedberg Junior Member Posts: 671
    hjlee918 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I have WAP200. Can I connect this to the dlink router and setting the TP so that it only connect through WAP200 ? Would this work?

    Thanks

    John

    Yes, this should work. Setup your touch panel and WAP200 to communicate properly with each other. Setup your touch panel to communicate properly with your master. Plug both your WAP200 and your master into LAN ports on your router. I am not familiar with the particular router that you are trying to use, but if you have distinct SSIDs for the two access points (the one that is integral to the router and the WAP200) there should be no reason why you can't operate them both simultaneously. The switch portion of the router should handle all the communications among the various devices.

    If you have problems, establish that your WAP200, touch panel, and master are all communicating properly without a router in the mix. You can connect the WAP200 directly to the AMX master with a crossover CAT5 cable. Get this working properly. Then, just plug the master and WAP into LAN ports on your router.

    In my experience, whenever I have trouble getting some network configuration to work, it's almost always (probably always) because I've got something messed up with configuration. Check and double check all the IP assignments (don't use dhcp) masks etc and make sure you have a properly configured network.
  • hjlee918hjlee918 Junior Member Posts: 8
    I haven't try linksys n router yet, but I tried dlink g router (DI-524) and It works fine.
    I'll post the result after I try linksys n router.
  • hjlee918hjlee918 Junior Member Posts: 8
    Test Result

    I've had a time to play around today, and here's the story.

    I've tested out with dlink n router, linysis n router, airport express (AP w/ n) , dlink g router, and linksys g router.

    First of all all b/g router works fine. MVP doesn't have any problem connecting and getting ip.

    Second, all n setting doesn't work. With all three model with n setting, MVP couldn't get ip even though they have connected to router.

    Third, for linksys n router, it works with MVP when it's in b & g mixed mode. Only when it's in b/g/n mixed mode, the problem starts. For D-link n router, no matter what mode it is set, it just not work with MVP.

    This doesn't actually say anything because it might be the problem with that specific model in the brand. (Obviously, dlink g router worked ok..), but I would feel safer not to use dlink router.

    I will play a little bit more with airport xtreme and express and post it later.
  • jjamesjjames Just another dude Posts: 2,906
    hjlee918 wrote: »
    I've had a time to play around today, and here's the story.

    I've tested out with dlink n router, linysis n router, airport express (AP w/ n) , dlink g router, and linksys g router.

    First of all all b/g router works fine. MVP doesn't have any problem connecting and getting ip.

    Second, all n setting doesn't work. With all three model with n setting, MVP couldn't get ip even though they have connected to router.

    Third, for linksys n router, it works with MVP when it's in b & g mixed mode. Only when it's in b/g/n mixed mode, the problem starts. For D-link n router, no matter what mode it is set, it just not work with MVP.

    This doesn't actually say anything because it might be the problem with that specific model in the brand. (Obviously, dlink g router worked ok..), but I would feel safer not to use dlink router.

    I will play a little bit more with airport xtreme and express and post it later.
    Instead of wasting your time you could have listened to us . . . 8400s don't play well (if at all) with "n" wireless. Like we told you before, ditch the "n" router and put in a b/g router. But of course, it's up to you if you want to waste more time.

    Good luck!
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Old Timer Posts: 4,584
    Eh, if he's got the time to play around with it, the information can be valuable. I would have just swapped it out and moved on, but that doesn't contribute at all to understanding what works and what doesn't.

    My general impression with all AMX network products is that the IP libraries are their weak point. Just the other day, I had an irate customer with a locked up system that was in fact all running perfectly ... except the master was not communicating with anything else on the network, including the touch panel. It was plugged into a switch with three other IP devices, all of which were fine; yet the master could not talk with anything. I had a log file 110Mb long of "cannot connect messages (dang ReQuest module keeps trying and won't ever give up). So, in my view, it's helpful to know if certain types of equipment have more trouble then others with this.
  • jjamesjjames Just another dude Posts: 2,906
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Eh, if he's got the time to play around with it, the information can be valuable. I would have just swapped it out and moved on, but that doesn't contribute at all to understanding what works and what doesn't.

    My general impression with all AMX network products is that the IP libraries are their weak point. Just the other day, I had an irate customer with a locked up system that was in fact all running perfectly ... except the master was not communicating with anything else on the network, including the touch panel. It was plugged into a switch with three other IP devices, all of which were fine; yet the master could not talk with anything. I had a log file 110Mb long of "cannot connect messages (dang ReQuest module keeps trying and won't ever give up). So, in my view, it's helpful to know if certain types of equipment have more trouble then others with this.

    Yeah but . . . the new wireless "n", AMX wireless stuff doesn't play well with it, period. Remove "n" and all will be well was my point. Nothing like trying to get blood out of a stone.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Senior Member - 4000+ posts Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Eh, if he's got the time to play around with it, the information can be valuable. I would have just swapped it out and moved on, but that doesn't contribute at all to understanding what works and what doesn't.

    My general impression with all AMX network products is that the IP libraries are their weak point. Just the other day, I had an irate customer with a locked up system that was in fact all running perfectly ... except the master was not communicating with anything else on the network, including the touch panel. It was plugged into a switch with three other IP devices, all of which were fine; yet the master could not talk with anything. I had a log file 110Mb long of "cannot connect messages (dang ReQuest module keeps trying and won't ever give up). So, in my view, it's helpful to know if certain types of equipment have more trouble then others with this.


    I have two masters that do this. I've even put a laptop on one of them for 48 hours, logging the event monitor. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to why it falls off the network. To be frank, the only reason I knew it wasn't just a typical 'lock up' was that there were a couple AxLink devices on it that were working just fine.

    There was no error that seemed to warn of the problem. Just like you say, suddenly just a bunch of 'unable to connect to such and so' messages.

    I happened to catch one of the masters in the act and tried to bring the network card back to life without rebooting. I had no luck. Tech support kept pointing back to my program. perhaps so, but nothing shows up. Also, the same hunks of program are in masters all over and they don't give me any fits.

    puzzling.
Sign In or Register to comment.