Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

New ZigBee Firware!

Is the new zigbee firmware supposed to kill the zigbee network or is that just an added benfit? So far this is my 2nd system updated with the new firmware and my 2nd system that no longer communicates. Nice job. Where's the warning that says update at your own risk!

Comments

• mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Take off every 'zigbee. For great justice!

You know what you doing.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    mpullin wrote:
    Take off every 'zigbee. For great justice!

You know what you doing.
    There ya go again making me all confused with your response. :confused::)
    Well I contacted TS who informed that there can be issues with firmware uploads to the gateway if the wireless (RF transceiver) is left enabled during the transfer. The solution suggested was to disable the gateway wireless (gateway web set up>pan tab>wireless) reboot then resend the firmware. Since I have two systems down I took the first one that crapped out last week which is now in my office and gave it a try and it didn't work. Tried various combinations on disabling, rebooting and resending but to no avail. I then decided to give the one that is still onsite and connected a shot. This one crapped out at 4PM today after the firmware update. Screwed around a while to get my VPN working again, linked up to the system, connected to the gateways web server did my disable, reboot and closed the browser, did my file transfer, re-opened the web set up and enabled the wireless and it actually worked. Went to the utilities tab and all my devices were back and talking.

Now I know I've said this many times before but it just shouldn't be this hard. Now there are no tech notes on this but the TS guy I spoke with was aware of this issue and I think helped with 14 systems last week. So why no tech note and no posts on the forum. Waisting 6 hours trying to resolve another design flaw that should have be made public to avoid waisting our time gets real old real fast. This issue must have been discovered just after its release so why no modification to the firmware to automatically disable the wireless prior to transfer and then automatically re-enable it upon the reboot, :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    vining wrote:
    mpullin wrote:

There ya go again making me all confused with your response. :confused::)

Sorry, maybe that required further explanation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Just ran into this problem. I *should* have searched the forums first before uploading. I followed your steps, and it's not reporting a serial number, and of course is not working. There have been so many problems with this stupid remote, it's completely not worth buying. *If* they can ever get it to were we programmers, installers, etc. can actually program, upgrade, etc. the device, it would be worth buying.

I've seen the potential of the device, and it's not bad at all. It's just working with this thing is a PITA. Why doesn't AMX consult us dealers before they actually go ahead with something? This is absolutely disgusting and pathetic. Grrrr!
    Yeah I hear ya! This work around did work on 2 of my 3 gateways. Are you getting your RF light to come on? On the gateway that still doesn't work the RF light would only come just after the firmware was reloaded but after another reboot it would turn off and stay off.

Just to re-iterate the procedure:
    Go to the gateways web interface "pan tab" and disable wireless. Go to "summary tab" and reboot. Close the web browser. Go to NS2 and upload the .15 firmware. (Try this w/o the reboot check box checked). Open the web interface again. Go to "pan tab" and enable the wireless. Cross your fingers and hopefully your RF light will come on. Obviously you need to make sure your in Mesh mode on the R4. Good luck!
  • R4 and Zigbee Firware updating

This may be old news but I had the same problems after upgrading (i.e. no communication). Called tech support and they pointed out that there are TWO firmware updates for the R4 that have to be installed. One for the R4 and one for the Zigbee functions on the R4. This is in addition to updating the Gateway with a different file. Hope this helps somebody else. Everything is working great after this update. It has the ability to turn off sleep mode when the display times out.

Keith
  • Change the channel ID number to get the RF Led ON again
    vining wrote: »
    Yeah I hear ya! This work around did work on 2 of my 3 gateways. Are you getting your RF light to come on? On the gateway that still doesn't work the RF light would only come just after the firmware was reloaded but after another reboot it would turn off and stay off.

Just to re-iterate the procedure:
    Go to the gateways web interface "pan tab" and disable wireless. Go to "summary tab" and reboot. Close the web browser. Go to NS2 and upload the .15 firmware. (Try this w/o the reboot check box checked). Open the web interface again. Go to "pan tab" and enable the wireless. Cross your fingers and hopefully your RF light will come on. Obviously you need to make sure your in Mesh mode on the R4. Good luck!

I got the same problem here.
    tried the above tips several times, but the RF stayed off after powering down the gateway.
    then I tried to enable/disable the wireless setting several times, with no success (but maybe neccessary before the following steps are taken)

the solution which DID help for me was the following
    - change the actual CHANNEL number (e.g. 11) to another channel (e.g. 1). afterwards change it again to another channel (e.g. 26).
    now the RF goes ON. after a power cycle the RF goes ON again. so that seems a solution.
    maybe it is helpfull for other people
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    This is why I don't do firmware upgrades anymore unless I am forced to. But I agreed with "vining" .... it shouldn't be that hard. Firmware upgrades should be painless and harmless, and if anything goes wrong, there should be an easy way to revert.
  • Si-RussSi-Russ Posts: 2
    So it would seem that I am having the same issue as described here. I have tried the solutions listed and nothing seems to be working. the RF light has been restored before a reboot, but the R4 cannot access the gateway (and yes the R4 is in mesh mode)

Will restoring to the previous firmware solve this issue or what other possibilities exist for me to try.

Regards,
  • kmenshousekmenshouse Posts: 32
    Si-Russ,

Have you tried changing the channel? I've had a couple of occasions where everything just seemed to stop communicating (not necessarily after a firmware upgrade) and changing the channel ID got it working again. Also as I previously posted, there are 3 firmware updates total - for to be installed to the R4 and the other to the gateway.

If you've tried this, please post the steps you recently took before the problems occurred and we'll try and troubleshoot with you.
  • Si-RussSi-Russ Posts: 2
    I have tried changing the channel multiple times. I have tried uploading the firmware with the zigbee wireless turned off. Nothing seems to restore the RF functionality.

How this occurred......as usual this process is quite blurry as many actions were taken in a short period of time..... I had update the GUI file for the R4 and once I had uploaded this decided to look for updated firmware while I had it connected to the PC. I downloaded all three files.....2 firmware files for the R-4 and the firmware for the gateway. For about a day the connection was intermittent between the R-4 and the gateway (several stints of standing next to the gateway with the remote to attempt to reestablish the connection were unsuccessful) The next day the remote would not connect through a four hour period, at the end of which, the remote successfully connected for ~3 mins and has been unable to connect since. As with most installations the gateway is not visible from the typical usage location of the R-4 so monitoring the status of the RF on the gateway was not possible.

I have done extensive WiFi scanning and channel adjustments ( even though no new networks were discovered and the remote functioned properly for almost a year) in my attempts as resolution but nothing has proved successful. I'd like to reiterate that the remote would not connect.....then did connect.....and now is unable. This rules out any configuration setting in the handheld, or in the radio portion of the gateway. I have scanned and confirmed that my channel selection for the gateway is adequate. So the only event that the problems trace back to are the uploading of a new interface and the uploading of the new firmware.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • kmenshousekmenshouse Posts: 32
    Do you have another R4 available and/or gateway available to switch out to try and isolate which piece is the problem? I don't have the R4 documentation in front of me but there also seems like there was a specific sequence of updating the firmware. Seems like maybe the remotes had to be disconnected, then upgrade the gateway, then upgrade the remotes. If you can find that written sequence, it might help to reload everything again.

One other problem that I experienced with R4s was actually with the code. I had added some functions for a Matrix audio switcher to the remotes and it shot the latency up so high that I had no response from the remotes but I'm not sure that I ever lost the RF light.