Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Website/Forums

Could this really be so?

I was browsing away in the forums and all of a sudden this showed up...

Can anybody shed some light?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Administrator Posts: 0
    That is odd, can you reproduce it?
  • travtrav Posts: 188
    Norton....

I'd put that down to norton being completely and utterly retarded.

Back on my 286 and 386, norton was great, now it is a system hogging un-reliable almost virus like in the invasion of your system, returns many false positives, is intrusive, and on the whole useless. And they fact that to uninstall it you need to uninstall it, THEN run another program that takes about a week to find on their website to uninstall the stuff it didn't uninstall!!

Can you tell I hate this program?

My smoothwall has never logged anything nasty as far as firewall intrusions from AMX.com so I'd say it was norton being utterly ****. (please insert your favorite 4 letter australianisim in there! )
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    trav wrote: »
    I'd put that down to norton being completely and utterly retarded.

Back on my 286 and 386, norton was great, now it is a system hogging un-reliable almost virus like in the invasion of your system, returns many false positives, is intrusive, and on the whole useless. And they fact that to uninstall it you need to uninstall it, THEN run another program that takes about a week to find on their website to uninstall the stuff it didn't uninstall!!

Can you tell I hate this program?

My smoothwall has never logged anything nasty as far as firewall intrusions from AMX.com so I'd say it was norton being utterly ****. (please insert your favorite 4 letter australianisim in there! )
    Hey Trav, don't hold back...take a deep breath and tell us what you really think!!!!

I know nortons can be a bit ansi, but i must say, it hasn't ever done this before to me....on any forum

As for the four letter Australian word...would 'drunk' work? (4 letters inc GST)

:-)

Go Cadel
    XML

Maybe I should have enclosed that in some XML tags...

Perhaps :

<RANT>
    </RANT>
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Administrator Posts: 0
    I found a few instances of this happening to other people with Norton on other sites.
    Due to the fact that it only appears on port 80 (Web) and does not show up as several ports 80,81,82 it doesn't look like a port scan. Also what trips this alert is a simple tcp exchange that could be mistaken.

I would look in to a hardware firewall/router to protect yourself instead of a software product. A simple blue box linksys will pevent attacks from the internet, They don't bother you. They just do their job, and don't take up resources on your computer.
    I think that was a much nicer way to word my rant!
    I found a few instances of this happening to other people with Norton on other sites.
    Due to the fact that it only appears on port 80 (Web) and does not show up as several ports 80,81,82 it doesn't look like a port scan. Also what trips this alert is a simple tcp exchange that could be mistaken.

I would look in to a hardware firewall/router to protect yourself instead of a software product. A simple blue box linksys will pevent attacks from the internet, They don't bother you. They just do their job, and don't take up resources on your computer.

Hardware firewall is hard for me as I am always moving around with wireless broadband. Point taken though!

Thanks for looking into it.
    trav wrote: »
    I think that was a much nicer way to word my rant!
    [diplomacy]
    Originally Posted by Administrator

[/end diplomacy]

:-)