Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum
Options

Replacement for Arakis

I have a client that has the 6 channel DC6 CD jukebox from Arakis. He got it at the time because it was the cheapest thing out that met his requirements which basically were just to stream music to multiple zones loaded from CDs. He's had it for a while and after being returned 3 different times due to lighting strikes that took out half the electrical in his house it doesn't seem to be working as well as it used to when it was new. Not sure what's going on, but the RS-232 seems shaky and all of the touch panels aren't updating as quickly or as accurately as they used to and the Netlinx system hasn't changed.

I was thinking of using a bank of 6 ipods, but what type of ipod interface does AMX have? I have used the "C" interface and it works pretty slick with a neat little macro that you drop in and I didn't have to modify it at all.

Any other ideas for a media server that will output 6 channels at a relatively cheap (<$5K price)? 6 channels isn't a hard requirement - he could live with 3 or 4 if it worked well.

Comments

• Options
    trobertstroberts Posts: 228
    Have you ever used Audio Request? The Netlinx module from request works very well over IP or 232. They make a 4 zone unit, but you can get multiple units from 1 zone up to 4 zones. http://www.request.com/
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I would second the motion on the ReQuest ... I think they only go up to 4 zones (at least I have never worked with one that had more than 4), but you can get multiple units and set them up to sync with each other (even over the Internet so you can sync multiple homes). It's become our standard audio media server when the budget will allow for better than an Escient.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I would second the motion on the ReQuest ... I think they only go up to 4 zones (at least I have never worked with one that had more than 4), but you can get multiple units and set them up to sync with each other (even over the Internet so you can sync multiple homes). It's become our standard audio media server when the budget will allow for better than an Escient.
    I third that ...
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    I agree also, Audio Request is the way to go. ARQ modules work and you get the source code. What a concept.
  • Options
    patbpatb Posts: 140
    Audio Request sounds like the music server of choise - especially if it works over IP. Anyone a dealer for this or should I just go to their website and find out who the rep is in my area?