Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Controllable mixer

I'm looking at using this piece in a project and wanted to see if anyone had any other recommendations for a controllable mixer.

http://www.toaelectronics.com/amp0011.asp

Comments

• Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Are you looking just for a controllable mixer or mixer/amp? I use the DM84 from Lectrosonics for our mixer with a QSC amp.
  • annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    We use quite a few Symetrix ZoneMix 760. It's a beautiful unit. We don't use an amp in our context.
    http://www.symetrixaudio.com/index.php

Roger McLean
    Swinbunre University
  • alanhalanh Posts: 30
    Mixer

We use the allen & Heath IDR4 or the IDR8, both work flawlessly, the BOse control space also works pretty well.
  • TonyAngeloTonyAngelo Posts: 315
    I need a 232 mixer (doesn't have to be an amp) for 2 zones, 3 mics (possibly more) and at least two line level sources. The thing I like about the TOA piece is that it's modular, so I can buy the ins and outs I need. AMX has a module for it, I was just wondering how well it worked when I read this in the module docs:

Device Notes
    ? The device has very limited control over RS-232, and does not have any way of querying anything.
    Programming Notes
    ? The module will not send any query at anytime, all changes done from the front panel will not be reflected on the Touch Panel.
    ? There are no heartbeat messages, no polling.
    ? Due to the fact that the protocol does not support any queries; after boot up, the module will be forced to turn online and get initialized right away, The device will never fall offline since there is no way to send any queries to detect it?s status and turn it online again.
    ? There is no way to know if the device went offline due to protocol limitations.
  • JohnMichnrJohnMichnr Posts: 279
    I've used the TOA with a C***** program. the limitations just make it easier to program. You just tell it what to do and not bother with this 90's era touchy feely stuff - are you there, how are you feeling, what's your level. Just tell it what it is supposed to be!

Actually the box worked pretty well for me. It was responsive, we were controlling levels and matrix switching on teh 4 input units. You just have to be carefull on power up to send all the levels and switching you want it to be.
    JohnMichnr wrote:
    I've used the TOA with a C***** program. the limitations just make it easier to program. You just tell it what to do and not bother with this 90's era touchy feely stuff - are you there, how are you feeling, what's your level. Just tell it what it is supposed to be!

That's funny!
    Actually the box worked pretty well for me. It was responsive, we were controlling levels and matrix switching on teh 4 input units. You just have to be carefull on power up to send all the levels and switching you want it to be.

Thanks dude!

Shane said he saw your name in an industry rag for something to do with the C****** booth at Infocomm. Good to see that people are still throwing jobs your way. :D
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I use the Rane RPM series in many of my systems. They are fully configurable processors that communicate very well via their AMX module.
  • MWNE2MWNE2 Posts: 15
    Tony, as you know we used the Sony srp-xr500p or something like that. Worked very well and you already have the code. has wireless microphone add-on modules available also.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I was just wondering if you had a chance to integrate the TOA piece yet? If so, any little tricks to make it work? Any pitfalls I should be ready for?

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Does AMX still make their MIDI card/box any longer?

I once did a full-bore control system for a small video/audio suite. The mixer was a Ramsa Digital 32 channel board. I had to put all 32 channel's faders/pan/mute/signal processing on a TP3 interface. It was brutal. (this started out in Axcess) There was also a Grass Valley video switcher console on the thing too.

perhaps your options open up a bit with MIDI control.
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    I think the Midi Box is no longer made.

If you really need Midi then look at the Kissbox product (www.kiss-box.com) that will hang on the IP network.

If you need big audio mixing capabilities, the the A&H iDR series (mentioned above) is expandable to 16x16, the other alternative I'd reccommend is the BSS Soundweb or the newer BLU range, great products.

Eric - that sounds seriously crazy!! Couldn't the user just use the large tactile GUI available in front of their fingers!!
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Jimweir192 wrote: »
    Eric - that sounds seriously crazy!! Couldn't the user just use the large tactile GUI available in front of their fingers!!
    Oh it was...

The whole project in general fit into the 'Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should.' catagory.

The idea was that it would be a pro-level video suite running a distance learning classroom. Why is a long story.

The concept was that the room could be run from the contorl room the normal way. (producer and board operators) or (and this is the funny part) by the instructor of the class from the podium. We tried to train a few instructors on it, but it was just too much work. We never once went without a production crew.

However, almost everyone we Polycom-ed (is that a word??) with commented how good our video and audio was. So, at least that part worked great.
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I was just wondering if you had a chance to integrate the TOA piece yet? If so, any little tricks to make it work? Any pitfalls I should be ready for?

Thanks,
    Jeff

I haven't used it, that project is in limbo right now.
  • patbpatb Posts: 140
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »

Thanks,
    Jeff

I've used it. TOA support is next to worthless. The contols are limited so if what you want to do falls within the limited scope of what the RS-232 allows you to control then you're in business. If not then good luck. For the price there are some good Peavey X-Frame mixers, Rane, Clear One, Lectrosonics and Biamp have quite a few that are easy to control also. What criteria is most important to you and I'm sure we can help you come up with something. Integrated with an amp? Price?
  • Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    Anyone looking for a midi interface that doesn't want to put one on Ethernet might want to check out http://www.midiator.com/serial/index.html. I've got one of these RS232 units in my guitar rig to let me include a control system for switching/control...

- Chip
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    patb wrote: »
    I've used it. TOA support is next to worthless. The contols are limited so if what you want to do falls within the limited scope of what the RS-232 allows you to control then you're in business. If not then good luck. For the price there are some good Peavey X-Frame mixers, Rane, Clear One, Lectrosonics and Biamp have quite a few that are easy to control also. What criteria is most important to you and I'm sure we can help you come up with something. Integrated with an amp? Price?

My requirements are very minimal. This is going to be used only occasionally and the most that I see anyone doing is simply raising or lower the levels of the mics/audio. No amp integration necessary. Price would be a concern as we could almost handle this with a manual mixer (the way it was originally quoted), but for flexibility we are recommending the upgrade to an integrated model.

Thanks,
    Jeff

P.S.
    Only need 1 wired mic, 1 wireless and 1 (possibly two) unbalanced audio inputs.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    As I stated earlier, the Rane RPM series is the cats meow. You can completely draw out your processing blocks and signal flow and control just about any aspect of them via IP with AMX's module.

Another unique device is the EAW DX-810. It is by far the cheapest 8x10 processor out there. There is an AMX module for it. The DX-810 itself does not provide feedback upon changes, but the module fakes it. I have used many of these in small churches and restaurants and they work very well.