Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

Gone Like Jimmy Hoffa

Lately I've been looking into the mystery of the great vanishing bitmap. If I had a pipe and a plaid hat readily available, I would've worn them. It was a single bitmap which wasn't showing up on the TP after being sent - the button would work (which means, with dynamic imaging, that in one sense the TP knows it's there; it wasn't bounding box).

From there I wasn't quite sure what to do as the dame wouldn't talk. No doubt the illustrious Vinny the Finn had gotten to her first, but I had a lead from the sharpest of teachers - experience. I knew that there were times that either a bitmap would get corrupted, or sometimes the case in the file name would be lost somewhere; I deleted and reintroduced the file, then I renamed it. Nothing, and by now the trail was getting cold...

I then started using methods less conventional, methods I'm really not proud of but are sometimes necessary in this line of work. But then it struck me as I was comparing panels, it was showing up (after awhile, likely a case sensitivity fix) on the CV7, but this only presented a deeper, more lurking and heinous crime: the file was being lost somewhere in the conversion from the CV7 to the CV10 - a process I've done innumerable times before.

What had AMX done? What did they plan to get from this? Or are they simply like Joker, just trying to inspire chaos?
So in a nutshell, I was wondering if anyone else has seen this before - where a single graphic (keep in mind the bit about dynamic imaging) stops displaying in conversion.

Comments

• yuriyuri Posts: 861
    your story is somewhat vague and full of unnecessary references to people i don't even know, but who cares :p

What i have seen once is that i had an image that displayed in TP4 but didn't display once i sent it to the touchpanel. Turns out it was a .gif image (i think) and when i resaved the image as a .png or .jpg (didn't matter) it worked.
    Very strange issue, but i'm not sure if it has anything to do with your problem :)
  • yuri wrote: »
    your story is somewhat vague and full of unnecessary references to people i don't even know, but who cares :p
    My apologies if it takes from the clarity of the question, but admittedly I get somewhat bored posting innumerable questions on various forums; sometimes I enjoy taking some creative liberty in my description.
    yuri wrote: »
    What i have seen once is that i had an image that displayed in TP4 but didn't display once i sent it to the touchpanel. Turns out it was a .gif image (i think) and when i resaved the image as a .png or .jpg (didn't matter) it worked.
    Very strange issue, but i'm not sure if it has anything to do with your problem :)
    I actually figured out the problem... well, sort of. There was nothing wrong with my panel, the file, or anything on my end, actually. I ended up erasing all of the user files from the panel and uploading everything again - my guess is that the bitmap somehow got altered the first time I converted and sent the file to the CV10s, from there it simply wouldn't replace the file as it assumed it was fun. What's curious to me is that I did send a new instance of the file with an entirely different name, but that didn't work.

From my end, therefore. Case closed. :cool:
  • glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    Even though you indicate this case as closed I thought I would add this observation. I have had a similar problem. Bit maps disappearing. This usually occurred with G3 panels over Axlink since the transfer took so darn long. I have a habit of starting a transfer and then moving on to something else while it transfers. After seeing that it was complete I would go back and test the changes and notice that there were missing bitmaps. My problem was that the panel's memory was full and I never noticed since I was not watching the panel. I would need to reset to default and then transfer again. Similar solution to what you did to fix. I'm wondering if your problem was memory as well. FWIW.
  • By this point I would need a pipe with Captain Black and a good, red wine to rotate thoughtfully.

By memory do you mean the total allocated memory for user files? Or the RAM of the device? I have plenty of the first kind, and I'm really not certain of the latter or how easily it could be maxed out - or if one can even do that while transferring.

It occurs to me that I'm perhaps misinterpreting you, however.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    By this point I would need a pipe with Captain Black and a good, red wine to rotate thoughtfully.

By memory do you mean the total allocated memory for user files? Or the RAM of the device? I have plenty of the first kind, and I'm really not certain of the latter or how easily it could be maxed out - or if one can even do that while transferring.

It occurs to me that I'm perhaps misinterpreting you, however.

the error glr-fti is talking about is a known error. You transfer big image files to a G3 panel (only G3, maybe also G1?) and the panel chokes, because the total amount of kb on the panel exceeds the maximum.
    It displays an error message which disappears (i think) so you don't see what happend :)
  • glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    Yes, Yuri that is to what I am referring. The message comes and goes and unless you are staring at the panel you'll never see it.