Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

MVP-5200i - Display timeout.

Can I really change the time to turn off the screen?? The Touch panel is turning the screen off too fast.

Thank you!

Comments

• jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Sure - up to 30 seconds!

Way to short for me and any of my clients. I understand that they want to "save" the battery, but c'mon - let me bump it up to at least 5 minutes.

The other option is to disable the timeout of the panel internally and then manage it through code which is what I'm thinking about doing.
  • 2Fast2Fast Posts: 90
    Thank you Jeremiah!

In the code ... I don't know what command I use to know if the panel is inactive... could you help me?
    What I was doing was something as simple as monitoring all the buttons with a BUTTON_EVENT[TParray,0] and then create a WAIT (and also a CANCEL_WAIT) of however long I want the panel to stay "awake" and when that wait is up it executes a SLEEP command. (I believe that'd be the command to issue.) Hope that helps!
    nice solution! Thank you Jeremiah!!!
  • JeffJeff Posts: 374
    Second the motion that this panel falls asleep to quickly. I'm also clearly having issues understanding its startup/shutdown methodology, because twice now I've had the panel go completely off, and not be able to start it up again. Holding down the hard button did nothing, but plugging it in and holding down the hard button turned it back on. Then, when I check the batteries, they're supposedly already full . . .

Bleh. There are so many problems with the 8400 and 7500 panels, why'd they have to go and mess with one of the few things that already worked?
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    jjames wrote: »
    Sure - up to 30 seconds!

Way to short for me and any of my clients. I understand that they want to "save" the battery, but c'mon - let me bump it up to at least 5 minutes.

The other option is to disable the timeout of the panel internally and then manage it through code which is what I'm thinking about doing.

This is exactly what I do. When we first got our MVP5200 it was shutting down during customer demos. Didn't look so good.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    2Fast wrote: »
    Thank you Jeremiah!

In the code ... I don't know what command I use to know if the panel is inactive... could you help me?

In the panel setup, you can specify a string for it to send on wakeup and sleep. You then just parse the STRING event handler in your code. I generally just put SLEEP and WAKEUP in there; no need for anything fancy.
    Really? I have never seem it ... where?
  • JeffJeff Posts: 374
    Its not in the panel setup on the panel itself, its in the file. In TP4, go to File|Project Properties|Panel Setup Information

You can change the settings there. Then, in the setup pages on the panel itself, you can hit Information|Panel Information and view the strings, but I dont think you can change them there.

J
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    With the MVP5200i TPs and the new NS beta you also have the following additions to the data_event available. Of course I don't know if they actually work yet since I haven't got around to trying them. The only documetation I could find was in the NS2 help > keywords files.

Has any body used these yet?

AWAKE:
    This keyword defines a section in a DATA event handler for processing AWAKE notifications.

This event is triggered when the master recognizes that a device on the bus has exited STANDBY state.

Once the device is AWAKE, communication to the device from the master can resume.

STANDBY:
    This keyword defines a section in a DATA event handler for processing STANDBY notifications.

This event is triggered when the master recognizes that a device on the bus has gone into a STANDBY state.

While in standby state, all communication to the device from the master is dropped.
    DATA_EVENT[dvTP5200i]

{
         ONLINE:
    	  {
    	  }
         OFFLINE:
    	  {
    	  }
         STANDBY:
    	  {
    	  }
         AWAKE:
    	  {
    	  }
         STRING:
    	  {
    	  }
         COMMAND:
    	  {
    	  }
         ONERROR:
    	  {
    	  }
         }

To be honest - I see no added value with AWAKE and STANDBY . . . not sure how I'd use it.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Well it could be used to pause or resume feedback, so if a panel is on a device page and therefore being sent feedback for that device you can stop when it goes to standby and resume when it awakes.

Now if you keep sending it feedback when it's in standby will the master just queue feedback for the TP and send it when the TP awakes. What if goes to standby for several days we wouldn't want to have the master constantly queueing the feedback would we? Hmmm.........
    I guess that's a good point for those who don't manage their feedback, i.e. only send feedback while on that particular source, and particular page.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    It is my understanding that the AWAKE and STANDBY events are not supported yet, even though they are in the software.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Colzie wrote: »
    It is my understanding that the AWAKE and STANDBY events are not supported yet, even though they are in the software.

I think you are right. Although I have seen an R4 go into Standby Mode in the online tree, I have no idea what makes it go into Standby Mode or why I would ever want it to, or what the difference is between Sleep and Standby.
    Paul.
  • The difference between Sleep and StandBy in R4 is that sleep only trurns the backlight off while Standby turns power off to most electronics and processor goes into an idle state. Any user interaction will turn the processor on again and it can instantaneously resume operations. Having sStandBy enabled will allow much longer battery life for R4. We are currently working on implementating a similiar power management scheme for larger battery operated panels.