Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

The NetLinx Studio 2.8 Beta is now open

2»

Comments

• Options
    The NetLinx Studio Beta will officially close on Friday 10/26/08.

Let me thank all of you for participating in this effort. The UTF-8 issue reported recently is a critical bug which WILL REQUIRE that AMX compile a new build of NetLinx Studio.

I will post a 'Beta Notification' in this forum when the next build is available.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Dan,

When will the AWAKE & STANDBY data event handlers actually work? Right now all they do is disable your system. It acts likes it flips the PRD switch which isn't a bad feature to have remotely if that was what it was designed to do but since it wasn't it's kind of annoying.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    danconde wrote: »
    Let me thank all of you for participating in this effort. The UTF-8 issue reported recently is a critical bug which WILL REQUIRE that AMX compile a new build of NetLinx Studio.

I will post a 'Beta Notification' in this forum when the next build is available.

I wanna be on the 3.0 beta team. That'll be fun! I'm placing bets there's already work on it. When you ask people to beta test, just remember . . .

PICK ME!
    PICK ME!
    PICK ME!
    PICK ME!

:D
  • Options
    When will the AWAKE & STANDBY data event handlers actually work?

This feature set will be supported by newer panel types. These battery driven devices can go into a power saver mode induced state which required unique event ids to manage these two events.
    Please Note: These events are NOT supported by all devices.
    Per the read me in Studio > 2.7.Build 250 the master support for these devices will require the appropriate master firmware.
  • Options
    I ran a VERY FEW quick tests (busy hammering out a job, can't concentrate too much on this), but it seems that whenever I purposefully add an extra parenthesis, comma, or whatever, something to cause a syntax error, and I double click on the error in the compiler warning box, it takes me 10 lines below where it really is.

Can anyone else verify this?
  • Options
    danconde wrote:
    This feature set will be supported by newer panel types. These battery driven devices can go into a power saver mode induced state which required unique event ids to manage these two events.
    Please Note: These events are NOT supported by all devices.
    Per the read me in Studio > 2.7.Build 250 the master support for these devices will require the appropriate master firmware.
    Well I have 5 MVP5200i's and my Master's running the laster firmware available for X100 but it simply doesn't work with what I have. Do ya think it would be possible to make these features work on equipment you actually distribute?
    From the 2.7 readme:
    FEATURE - NetLinx Compiler Update - Added STANDBY and AWAKE events to the
    DATA_EVENT structure.

**************************** SPECIAL NOTE ********************************
    You must have the latest firmware versions for your NetLinx masters before
    you can use the new compiler feature listed above. Versions greater than
    387 are recommended. Unpredictable results may occur if your firmware
    has not been updated to the proper version.

I'm running v3_30_371.kit on my master. Maybe there's something for X100 newer that's not posted cuz this version doesn't work. There's v.3.31.387 for X101 masters but I ain't got on one of them, actually I do but it's in a box still.
  • Options
    Beta 2.8 Bug?

In the Studio 2.8 Beta version, if you try to retrieve source code from an Axcent master (yes, some of us still have to deal with the old stuff), in which no source code was sent, Studio crashes. Have not had a chance to test the same with a Netlinx master.
  • Options
    I was going through some code and found this dandy little bug. I have no idea how or when I did it, nor am I sure if it's a 2.8 Beta bug, but here it is:

NetlinxBug.jpg
  • Options
    I've seen that several times before. What bring my attention to it is when I'm looking for a specific block of code, and . . . it's gone!! Usually closing and reopening the file clears that out.

Quick side note . . . you must have a REALLY bright monitor you work on - I'd barely be able to read the code!!
  • Options
    GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    The problem with sending $00 in "Control a Device" send string is not fixed.
    If you try to control a device that uses a value of $00 in the string, it wil not work.
  • Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    GSLogic wrote: »
    The problem with sending $00 in "Control a Device" send string is not fixed.
    If you try to control a device that uses a value of $00 in the string, it wil not work.

Really? Can this be that hard to fix? I really miss not having this capability. Almost all the devices I need to control these days require hex strings and it would be convenient if this worked.
    Paul
  • Options
    jjames wrote: »
    Quick side note . . . you must have a REALLY bright monitor you work on - I'd barely be able to read the code!!
    I threw a 50% black fill layer over the code to make my little sketches stand out better. :)
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    NS2.8b seems to be pretty stable so far. The 'find/replace' functionality works differently than previous versions. But, I'm finding that I'm just getting used to it and it doesn't bother me as much as it did at first.

I see the beta testing closes late October. When does the official roll-out occur and will it have some of the changes suggested on the forum?
  • Options
    ericmedley wrote: »
    NS2.8b seems to be pretty stable so far. The 'find/replace' functionality works differently than previous versions. But, I'm finding that I'm just getting used to it and it doesn't bother me as much as it did at first.

I see the beta testing closes late October. When does the official roll-out occur and will it have some of the changes suggested on the forum?

I had no idea there was a 2.8b . . . private invitation only I'm guessing?

Not sure why we'd have to get use to a "new" way of find/replace . . . it's code, copy and paste the 2.6 version for heaven's sake. I'm really confused why they had to change any of it in the first place. Why try to fix something that isn't broken, especially something so simple?

I think they should put more emphasis into Keypad builder and the missing "Edit" menu if they want to change functionality of a program.
  • Options
    Studio 2.8 released

You can now get version 2.8.285 via the AMX Webupdate utility. Not sure when it will posted on the downloads page.
  • Options
    B_Clements wrote: »
    You can now get version 2.8.285 via the AMX Webupdate utility. Not sure when it will posted on the downloads page.

Thanks for the info! I've been dying to try the newest release! :D
  • Options
    Anyone else have the Netlinx installation slow to an absolute crawl when "Skipping Nextlinx Studio Library Files"? It's been crawling through the various files for about ten minutes now; it is moving, but painstakingly slow.

I'm running on a fairly new laptop with Vista Home Premium. I've been running the beta of 2.8 on this system since the beta released, and I don't recall any such problems as this when installing that.

Hmm. :(
  • Options
    So what you're saying is I shouldn't install the latest version while on site and super pressed for time? :D
  • Options
    jjames wrote: »
    So what you're saying is I shouldn't install the latest version while on site and super pressed for time? :D
    At least bring a Rubix Cube.
  • Options
    No problem here

The download and install were flawless on my Dell laptop...completed in less than 5 minutes.
  • Options
    B_Clements wrote: »
    The download and install were flawless on my Dell laptop...completed in less than 5 minutes.
    Yet another clear reason why Acer is superior to Dell - 20 is obviously higher than 5.

Alright, I'll shut up now. It did finish, and I doubt it was the make of my laptop, operating system or my favorite color which made the difference. Probably just some stuff wrong with the thingy because the servo wasn't fire at the rate of the celestial orbit's processor-majiger. Seriously.
  • Options
    Would anyone who downloaded it and have tested it be kind enough to start another thread to give praise and thanks to AMX?

Or how about at least a review.... ;)

I'm quite anxious to try this version out but am still on job site and won't be installing a new version while I work. I remember what happened I did that last time . . . nearly threw my computer out the window off the 12th story after I installed 2.7. :eek:
  • Options
    My download is fairly slow too but its likely all the night time traffic clogging up the pipes. Of course just as I said that it zipped through the 2nd half like nothing.
  • Options
    Perhaps this thread should be used for bugs...

http://amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=4872
  • Options
    Anyone else have the Netlinx installation slow to an absolute crawl when "Skipping Nextlinx Studio Library Files"? It's been crawling through the various files for about ten minutes now; it is moving, but painstakingly slow.

I'm running on a fairly new laptop with Vista Home Premium. I've been running the beta of 2.8 on this system since the beta released, and I don't recall any such problems as this when installing that.

Hmm. :(

Same thing happened on my beat up Toughbook running XP Pro.

My favorite color is purple.