Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

TP4 Buglist - Add one for me

Is there someplace that AMX would like application bugs to be posted? Hope I am not posting in the wrong place:

TP4
v2.7.0 build 545

Sometimes, I leave TP4 connected to my master after doing some panel file transfers. If I go back to NStudio and use it to load some new code to the master, of course, TP4 loses the connection to the master.

The only problem, this now causes TP4 to crash pretty hard; everything in TP4 turns white, only the borders of the windows and toolbars remain gray. I can close the app, but I have to actually go in to the control panel to shut the whole thing down to be able to restart it.

Slightly annoying.

Comments

• vincenvincen Posts: 526
    All these damned *&^*&^*& icons in toolbars that always come back on left each time you reduce applications !!

Vinc
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    vincen wrote:
    All these damned *&^*&^*& icons in toolbars that always come back on left each time you reduce applications !!

Vinc?n

YES! that's SOOO annoying!
    but roognation, i have never seen the problem you describe... maybe i didnt upgrade... :p
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I can't stand the way it steals focus all the time. Save a file, start an upload ... well, it takes a bit of time, why not switch back to Studio to continue work while it's busy? Or, perhaps you are done, and that's the last step before moving on to something else ... Well, the thing is, you can't. You switch to another app, and as soon as TPD4 starts writing to a file (whether to save or to make a load image), it steals back your focus, even though there is nothing you can do at this point, and forces you to wait for the operation to finish rather than do anything actually useful. It's only a few moments, but as someone who spends half of his work day waiting on the dang computer to finish whatever it's up to, I resent unnecessary delays like that.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I have trouble with the program in that if you forget to disengage the comm and upload a program from NS2, the program boinks and says that comm was lost with the master. No biggie except that after a few of these, you go back to TP4 and all the docked tool bars are now stacked up vertically and the windows are smashed to a small size. You have to go back and manually rearrange the tool bars to get the window back to the normal size.
    ericmedley wrote:
    I have trouble with the program in that if you forget to disengage the comm and upload a program from NS2, the program boinks and says that comm was lost with the master. No biggie except that after a few of these, you go back to TP4 and all the docked tool bars are now stacked up vertically and the windows are smashed to a small size. You have to go back and manually rearrange the tool bars to get the window back to the normal size.
    Actually, this is a biggie, because frequently TPD4 crashes and burns when the master drops the connection.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    When I select all the buttons on a popup page and copy them, TPDesign4 beeps and crashes without any error message. :mad:
    mpullin wrote:
    When I select all the buttons on a popup page and copy them, TPDesign4 beeps and crashes without any error message. :mad:

I do that all the time. I have a few panel designs that I use for templates, and I cut-and-paste pages and buttons between them for every project I do, yet I have never run across that problem.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    I was troubleshooting the problem and I actually think it was linked to the copying of one specific button. Once, TPDesign4 gave me "a procedural error occured, please take note of the steps leading up to this point and contact technical support" before bombing.

This goes back to the problem of not being able to recover gracefully from XML corruption, probably.
  • dthorsondthorson Posts: 103
    I agree the about the tool bars not locking, this is very annoying.

I also experience the crash when the master looses the connection. I get an error that says "In pure function call"

A recurring bug that drives me nuts is when you copy a button multiple times some of the properties become unavailable. For example if you want to change the border name, the only thing that shows up in the drop down list is the current setting or none. The only way to fix this is to create a new button.

This also happens to the text alignment property, among others, but you can get around this by selecting the property and pressing enter to toggle through all the options.

Or is it just me?
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    dthorson wrote:
    A recurring bug that drives me nuts is when you copy a button multiple times some of the properties become unavailable. For example if you want to change the border name, the only thing that shows up in the drop down list is the current setting or none. The only way to fix this is to create a new button.
    There is one other way to fix it. When this happens again check the Border Style property on the General tab. It probably got set to something other than None. Selecting a Border Style property on the General tab reduces your options of the Border Name on the States tab. At least that?s the way it works with TPD4 2.6. I haven?t upgraded to 2.7 yet.
    dthorson wrote:
    This also happens to the text alignment property, among others, but you can get around this by selecting the property and pressing enter to toggle through all the options.

Or is it just me?
    Haven?t run across that one personally
  • IshlachiIshlachi Posts: 34
    Has anyone else seen TPD4 crash when connecting to virtual master? I have this problem occasionally when trying to load an R4. Shut down program, restart and still get same result. Have to reboot computer before I can connect.
  • ipssheldonipssheldon Posts: 106
    Does anyone else find that when you are working with a file that is otherwise complete and working well, that some of the bitmaps will randomly change on different buttons? I find that on large panel files, I can be working on one page adjusting properties and I'll go check another page and find that some of the bitmap assignments have changed or buttons that didn't even have bitmaps assigned will suddenly have an image assigned. I haven't been able to find any particular pattern. Sometimes it will be a single graphic on a single button state within a set of animations for a button. The only way to find the issues is to run through all of the animations on the entire panel. A real pain in the you know what.

Just curious.

Sheldon Samuels
  • pauldpauld Posts: 106
    Ishlachi wrote:
    Has anyone else seen TPD4 crash when connecting to virtual master? I have this problem occasionally when trying to load an R4. Shut down program, restart and still get same result. Have to reboot computer before I can connect.

I have gone through the same thing, so many times. Virtual Master is not very stable on my machine, so i don't use it that much.
  • IshlachiIshlachi Posts: 34
    pauld wrote:
    I have gone through the same thing, so many times. Virtual Master is not very stable on my machine, so i don't use it that much.

The only problem with that is the lack of another option with the R4. You have to use Virtual Master...
  • ekeppelekeppel Posts: 37
    Yeah, I concur with most of the above bugs. The 'master communication lost' hard crash, the toolbar issue, focus stealing, random corruption -- all happen to me on a regular basis. I was hoping that AMX would issue a bug fix to this latest build, but I guess it's either not a priority for them or it's a bigger thing than just a minor fix. If the problems bug you enough, you can always go back to version 2.6 and wait for an update like I am considering doing. :)

Eric
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    Another issue which I can see no postings about is regarding font/size manipulation in tpd4.

If you have a series of buttons selected with varying text sizes within this selection and you change fonts, the font change will certainly occur, but it will also resize EVERY button to 8pt (or to be more specific, the minimum font size available to the new font).

It should, according to MS word and some others' behavior (these being some form of weird benchmark I guess!) simply ignore the SIZE field in this process and only play with the font attribute.
  • KimKim Posts: 52
    If panels are adjusted in one number and last panels is not located completely and accepts the reduced kind. At closing and opening of the program last panel jumps off downwards!

Best regards!
  • fragglefraggle Posts: 3
    I have found that when the Lost Connection error box pops up, TP4 uses a huge chunk of the CPU. I get crashes quite often when uploading the panel. I have also found that uploading say a MVP8400 design to a NXT1200 takes a lot longer in the new version. It appears that it converts it to the new panel before uploading, even though everything is the same resoultion. Sometimes it gets into a loop and does this 3 or 4 times. This didn't happen in the previous version.
  • Debug crash

NetLinx studio: When I file transfer with debug enabled. It doesn't ask me to disable debugging, but it does crash spectacularly when the master reboots.

TPDesign4: 'General | Programming | States' vanish and have to resize the app to get them back.

And why can't I transfer a touch panel in netlinx studio that's open in TPDesign4!
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Oh, another feature that would be nice (TPDesign4)

I'd love to have the ability to copy multiple popup pages and/or pages and paste them in another open tp4 file. Perhaps I'm missing something but I currently have to copy/paste popups or pages one at a time.

ejm
  • ericmedley wrote:
    Oh, another feature that would be nice (TPDesign4)

I'd love to have the ability to copy multiple popup pages and/or pages and paste them in another open tp4 file. Perhaps I'm missing something but I currently have to copy/paste popups or pages one at a time.

ejm

Oh god.. would love to get a solution on that, its really annoying, having to copy/paste like more than 30 or 40 popups.

And maybe also, if there is an image on the resouce manager, but its never used on the TP design itself, maybe its kinda useless that the program uploads that image aswell.
    Sometimes its useless for us to remember those images and sometimes use them, but I find it really crap that he uploads all of that.. need to keep cleaning Resource manager all the time.
  • RVanceRVance Posts: 14
    dthorson wrote: »

Or is it just me?

This happens to me when the slider has the font alignment selection box close to the bottom of the screen (for some reason it won't open UP, it only opens DOWN), so try scrolling the scroll bar down (moving the text alignment field up) and see if it opens up more options for you.

I've also noticed that most of the selections like that act funky when I have TPD4 open on a monitor other than the primary monitor.

Something that bothers me but I'm not sure if it's a huge issue is when I go to see my channel number usage and there are phantom numbers from buttons that I have deleted, but they still show up in my "Function Maps" tab. When I try to delete these ghost buttons, I get an error that says:

"An invalid argument was passed to a function

Please contact Technical Support"

Is there any way to get rid of these ghost buttons from the "Function Maps" tab?
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    RVance wrote: »
    Is there any way to get rid of these ghost buttons from the "Function Maps" tab?
    Yes. From the menu bar:
    Panel --> Verify Function Maps
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Leftover Fonts

TP4 will carry a FONT requirement forever even after you aren't using it in any pages in your project. You can't delete it, and if it's a font that's not available in the computer you load the project on, when it asks for it if you say OK to skip it, ALL your fonts are skipped, not just the one it didn't find, ruining every page. So you MUST keep mobile copies of errant fonts that you really don't want anymore.... and send them around WITH the panel projects.

AMX support suggests creating a new project and copying all the pages from the "contaminated" projected into the new one. Well, that's really too painful when you have 200 pages and popups... and you have to do each one individually.
    TP4 and VISTA

I've found that a VISTA issue prevents importing bitmaps into a project properly.

In XP, when you import bitmaps, you get a choice (checkbox) at the lower right corner of your file picker dialog that lets you overwrite matching file names. A feature much needed. However, VISTA does not show that control, and defaults to renaming duplicates "Copy of...". This makes it necessary to re-map every imported button on pasted-in pages to your original bitmaps and then deletion of the copies from the resource manager. Or worse, say you want to replace the main button style that appears in 300 positions in your project. You can't. You have to re-map every single one individually.Tedious beyond mind-numbing.

AMX support took my report on this and has no suggestions for workarounds.

Let's hope the control reappears in WIndows 7. But I doubt it.
    TP4 Scaling to 15" bitmaps mess up

I found that about 60% of all my buttons scaled improperly when making 15" panels from 12" projects.

The distortion was subtle - the size of the button was about 5 pixels too small in both directions for the bitmap. Also, many but not all of the buttons so affected had the bitmap justification reset to upper left, where they were all originally center middle. Between the size and shift issues, the buttons (tri-part with chameleon masks) just looked bad without being obvious why. It took many hours to correct manually. I had to select all the buttons on every page, use the FIT TO BITMAP button, then reposition all that changed, then reset the justification on most of the buttons.

Now I need to take a better look at the other versions that get scaled off our 12" base project... the 430 and the 7500... and see if they have been compromised too.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    John Nagy wrote:
    TP4 Scaling......

I seem to recall a post a long while back, possibly by an AMX engineer, that said buttons that are evenly divisible by 4 pixels scale well, otherwise scaling will have issues. I've never intentionally practiced this technique nor tried to evaluate its validity but maybe this is part of your issue. I'm sure one of the smart folks here may recall this post and elaborate.
    vining wrote: »
    John Nagy wrote:

I seem to recall a post a long while back, possibly by an AMX engineer, that said buttons that are evenly divisible by 4 pixels scale well, otherwise scaling will have issues. I've never intentionally practiced this technique nor tried to evaluate its validity but maybe this is part of your issue. I'm sure one of the smart folks here may recall this post and elaborate.

Oddly, some of my images that scaled correctly were using the same bitmaps as some that distorted. And not all that distorted, but also some of those that did not, did the change of justification. I saw no pattern.
  • edgelitocedgelitoc Posts: 160
    I would like to see something on TP4 button properties that will have a hide effect just like on page properties...
  • Only problem i came across while working with it is when u go to panel preview and exit it all toolbars are "white" - no more icons...

Really not a thing you wanna let ur client see..

- Alan