Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Suggestions for future revisions of Studio

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I long ago got in the habit of always explicitly declaring my variable types because of things like that.
    Same here. Ealry on when dinosaurs roamed at AMX, in the infancy of NetLinx programming you could leave off the varialbe type declaration and the compiler would assume volatile. No more. I was burned by this. It's amazing how many AMX modules still don't have Volatile or Persistent declarations in their Define_Variable stacks.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    ericmedley wrote: »
    Same here. Early on when dinosaurs roamed at AMX, in the infancy of NetLinx programming
    It was called the land before TIME(), where the masters ran on COBOL, documentation meant cartoons on cave walls, and the wheel couldn't be reinvented yet.

Unfortunately those early programmers met their end when some jerk decided to call SET_OUTDOOR_TEMPERATURE().
    mpullin wrote: »
    It was called the land before TIME(), where the masters ran on COBOL, documentation meant cartoons on cave walls, and the wheel couldn't be reinvented yet.

Unfortunately those early programmers met their end when some jerk decided to call SET_OUTDOOR_TEMPERATURE().

LOLOLOL
    :D
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917

I'm not sure, but I thought it was all ended by a call to GiantAsteroid() that crashed the system. :)

Jeff
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but I thought it was all ended by a call to GiantAsteroid() that crashed the system. :)

Jeff
    ..and then the world became ever so slightly more complicated by the introduction of fknWindows()

:-)
  • Hello,

Syntax highlighting / autocomplete for .AXI's has been asked, but i would also find it very useful to have 'FIND' (ctrl+f) and 'FIND&REPLACE (ctrl+h) work in .AXI's when you start the search in the 'main' program.

Richard
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Hello,

Syntax highlighting / autocomplete for .AXI's has been asked, but i would also find it very useful to have 'FIND' (ctrl+f) and 'FIND&REPLACE (ctrl+h) work in .AXI's when you start the search in the 'main' program.

Richard
    Nice suggestion. I like that! I try not to use AXI files for those reasons, but lately I've been starting to use them and can see how that'd be helpful. Good thinking!
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    I would like to be able to see the MAC address not only for the controller (which you do now) but also the touch panel's MAC in the 'online tree' info.
    I would like to be able to see the MAC address not only for the controller (which you do now) but also the touch panel's MAC in the 'online tree' info.

On that note, it'd be nice to be able to get all the panel's information remotely. Case-in-point. I'm making a trip today of over 80 miles round trip to get the serial numbers off a bunch of panels that were installed before processing.

Also, I'd like to pile on about the auto complete in AXIs.

All things considered, I'm pretty happy with NS2. It's really a pretty good development environment.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    On that note, it'd be nice to be able to get all the panel's information remotely. Case-in-point. I'm making a trip today of over 80 miles round trip to get the serial numbers off a bunch of panels that were installed before processing.
    If yoiu telnet into the master and do a "show system" you should get the serial numbers and IPs of the TPs that are connected.
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    If yoiu telnet into the master and do a "show system" you should get the serial numbers and IPs of the TPs that are connected.

'Tis true. however, in most of my cases, I'm not in a position to leave the telnet port (or one forwarded to it) open. Our clients like a bit more security on their networks. So, for me it's the same problem.
    'Tis true. however, in most of my cases, I'm not in a position to leave the telnet port (or one forwarded to it) open. Our clients like a bit more security on their networks. So, for me it's the same problem.
    Couldn't VPN solve the issue of security?
  • NetLinx Studio 1.2 pjs file support

We would like to get your opinion on the need to support pjs (Panja Studio 1.2) files for a future release of Studio. Do you feel that it is necessary for us to continue to support this workspace type? Have you opened one lately? If we left this out, you would still be able to open all of the associated files. The reason is that we are hoping to remove unnecessary code from the application and porting over unused features.
    Thanks for your consideration.
    Doug Hall
    AMX Product Management
    Doug Hall wrote: »
    Do you feel that it is necessary for us to continue to support this workspace type?
    I do not feel that.
    We would like to get your opinion on the need to support pjs (Panja Studio 1.2) files for a future release of Studio.

I personally have never opened a pjs in studio. But because more is better, I want it! ... just kidding, I would not miss it at all.

Jeff
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    pj what?.............
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I personally have never opened a pjs in studio. But because more is better, I want it! ... just kidding, I would not miss it at all.

Jeff

I use Panja Studio projecs as an excuse to not get involved....

:P
    I use Panja Studio projecs as an excuse to not get involved....

We use Panja, Landmark, Axcent, and Craptron as a reason to upgrade to a shiny new NetLinx system :)

I have never opened one up. Not sure that I ever will; the only time I would is if we took over a job, which isn't out of the realm of possibility/

I'd say ditch it. The thing I'm sad about most is the inability to run different versions of Studio at once. If we were able to do that - then I think you could remove it completely and not have PJS associated at all with the new version, but still have an older version of Studio installed in case we needed to open it - or at least have the ability to install it to open up the PJS file.

Just my thoughts.
  • I vote for dumping it.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    vining wrote: »
    pj what?.............

Exactly.

Adios Panja Studio-s.
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    We would like to get your opinion on the need to support pjs (Panja Studio 1.2) files for a future release of Studio. Do you feel that it is necessary for us to continue to support this workspace type? Have you opened one lately? If we left this out, you would still be able to open all of the associated files.

Never have used it!
  • glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    I've never used it and don't need it.
  • I have used it, and do from time to time still use it - but not often enough to warrant keeping it around.
  • chillchill Posts: 186
    We would like to get your opinion on the need to support pjs (Panja Studio 1.2) files for a future release of Studio. Do you feel that it is necessary for us to continue to support this workspace type? Have you opened one lately? If we left this out, you would still be able to open all of the associated files. The reason is that we are hoping to remove unnecessary code from the application and porting over unused features.
    Doug Hall
    AMX Product Management

I do occasionally need to open an old pjs project, but it's rare enough that I don't feel it's necessary to have pjs support in Studio. However, I would like to have some way to either convert a pjs to a workspace, or just extract information like device mapping and IP addresses to text. I guess if you can do one of those things, that's 95% of the other. Perhaps a little standalone utility?
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Doug Hall
    AMX Product Management

Unlike many of the others, it would seem I have used this feature a lot. However, once done it is never necessary again, and I think I have already converted all the projects I need to convert. If there are one or two out there I might still have to convert, I would not find it especially onerous to re-create the workspace, since they would all be old Axcent projects anyway. So, the bottom line is I wouldn't care if that feature went away.
  • PJS Files

Thank you once again for your responses. This group continues to be a valued resource for feedback and suggestions. We will be calling on you again soon for more interesting activities involving NetLinx Studio.
    Regards,
    Doug
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    I haven't read through all the posts, but one suggestion I would love to see is that in Emulate/Control a device, rather than having to input the device, port and system number, it would be very nice to be able to just type the name of the device variable. The mapping is already there, so I don't understand why I can't just type dvKitchenTV and have NS know that that is 5001:10:1.
    Paul
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    I haven't read through all the posts, but one suggestion I would love to see is that in Emulate/Control a device, rather than having to input the device, port and system number, it would be very nice to be able to just type the name of the device variable. The mapping is already there, so I don't understand why I can't just type dvKitchenTV and have NS know that that is 5001:10:1.
    Paul
    This is a good suggestion, add a text field with auto complete for everything in DEFINE_DEVICE instead of those DPS fields, and you would be golden.

Also, I noticed this yesterday, I would consider it a bug, if you control a device and type in 5001 : 8 : 2, do some stuff, then close the window and come back, the fields will be filled with 5001 : 8 : 1. The System field is lazy and does not remember the last used value, just populates with 1 every time. This could have been disastrous if I thought I was firing relays on my second master but it was actually my first!
    Also, I noticed this yesterday, I would consider it a bug, if you control a device and type in 5001 : 8 : 2, do some stuff, then close the window and come back, the fields will be filled with 5001 : 8 : 1. The System field is lazy and does not remember the last used value, just populates with 1 every time. This could have been disastrous if I thought I was firing relays on my second master but it was actually my first!

I could have swore that it populates the system number of the workspace.