Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Call for AMX instant message contacts

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm on AIM or GoogleTalk all day. I was thinking it might be nice to get everyone (who is willing of course) to post their IM contact info. I'll start:

AIM: kingpikey.amx@gmail.com

I'm usually available from 9-5, M-F. I'm still a bit of a newbie, but always willing to help.

Mods, if this works out... stickie?

Comments

• mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    If you look at the right side of each post, if the user has entered in their AIM address, you will see an AIM logo, and when you click it, something happens maybe. If there is no AIM logo, the user has not entered their AIM screen name which probably means they don't want to be bothered during the day.

So I'm not sure what this thread will be used for. Maybe just for people to announce if/when they answer IMs?

Also, there is an AMX Chat (although it's pretty irregularly used).
  • haha... totally missed that.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I'm always up for a chat . . .
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    jjames wrote: »
    I'm always up for a chat . . .

Good for you! I despise instant messaging ... I do not like at all to be entirely at the mercy of when the other person wants to chat. But I dislike phone calls for the same reason. At home, I almost never answer the phone ... if you don't talk to the machine, you won't talk to me. Of course, that is completely unacceptable in a business environment, so I console myself by not running any instant messaging, and not participating in live chat if I can at all avoid it.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Good for you! I despise instant messaging ... I do not like at all to be entirely at the mercy of when the other person wants to chat. But I dislike phone calls for the same reason. At home, I almost never answer the phone ... if you don't talk to the machine, you won't talk to me. Of course, that is completely unacceptable in a business environment, so I console myself by not running any instant messaging, and not participating in live chat if I can at all avoid it.

I see . . .

But it's obvious by your post count that you're up for forum chatter, during business hours and undoubtably in a business environment. I of course, am always sensitive to others' wants when chatting - so if someone says they're busy or do not reply, it's proper etiquette not to pester them with "Hello?" or "Are you there?!?" I also expect the same respect if someone were to message me.

I typically run AIM and Yahoo all day so the wife and my family can get a hold me if my phone is out of service, which is very frequently since I have Notel, err - Nextel. As we all know, family is more important than work - at least that's how it is in my books.

It's obviously a difference of generations. ;)
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I'm just too introverted to enjoy IM. :D

I'm perfectly fine all my myself rising to the surface just long enough to check the posts on the forum and responding as needed .
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    jjames wrote: »
    I see . . .

But it's obvious by your post count that you're up for forum chatter, during business hours and undoubtably in a business environment. I of course, am always sensitive to others' wants when chatting - so if someone says they're busy or do not reply, it's proper etiquette not to pester them with "Hello?" or "Are you there?!?" I also expect the same respect if someone were to message me.

I typically run AIM and Yahoo all day so the wife and my family can get a hold me if my phone is out of service, which is very frequently since I have Notel, err - Nextel. As we all know, family is more important than work - at least that's how it is in my books.

It's obviously a difference of generations. ;)

True - the main difference being that on the forum, I can respond and reply at my own convenience. I'm on the forums during what amounts to 3 types of time periods: (1) first thing in the morning, while waiting for the coffee to kick in, (2) end of day, when I don't really have time to get into a project, but not quite ready to call it a day, and (3) during a big compile-and-load, where I'm waiting around for everything to reset and get going again. Less commonly, but it happens, my brain is just fried and I need to look at something other than a troublesome bit of code for a few minutes. But in all of those times, I may have to remote into another system to check something, take a phone call, etc. In the forums, I can do as much or as little chatter as I like, be it ten minutes or one. Live chats are not as easy to break off in the middle or continue after.