Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Pioneer PDP 5000ex - 232 control?

or any control other than IR.....

has anyone tried to control this plasma? it has a 9pin d-sub which is entitled "Service" and the standard Pioneer command protocol seems to have no effect....

... and i cant seem to monitor anything coming out of this port at most baud rates...

.... and Pioneer UK tech support weren't any help.....

if no-one else can shed any light i will have to resign myself to using the discrete IR commands.....

mark

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I was told the "service" port was strictly for firmware upgrades and could not be used for control. I have no idea if the tech was pulling that out of his hinder regions to get rid of me or not ...
  • Options
    markbsuremarkbsure Posts: 44
    i got the same response from pioneer uk support, and the same feeling that the tech didn't didn't know much and just wanted to get rid of me.....

... though he did think that 232 would be added in a firmware release in a few months.....

.... i'm not holding my breath though
  • Options
    markbsuremarkbsure Posts: 44
    just received this from a Pioneer distributor.

haven't been able to test it out yet, but it looks hopeful!

goes to show - dont trust the manufacturer's tech support team......

markb
  • Options
    dbradydbrady Posts: 30
    I havent used this particular model but i did get it working with the old style pioneer plasma with a separate tuner box. The tuner box was a PDP-R06E i think.
    The key point is that the RS232 port will not work if SR+ is activated. I had to disable it
    in the service menu for the PDP-R06E. From the document mark posted it seems to be available in the user menu on the 5000ex. Once this is done RS232 control works fine. I assume it is the same accross the entire pioneer plasma range. I found feedback to be quite limited on the R06E so ended up using IR anyway but 232 does work.

Ps. I happen to work above a pioneer service centre so i called them and asked an engineer i know about the Rs232 control. At first I got the standard "that port is only used for service" line. Later on he realised it was me calling so he came up and spent half an hour showing me how to do it. He even gave me some software to help test all the various commands.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    dbrady wrote:
    I havent used this particular model but i did get it working with the old style pioneer plasma with a separate tuner box. The tuner box was a PDP-R06E i think.
    The key point is that the RS232 port will not work if SR+ is activated. I had to disable it
    in the service menu for the PDP-R06E. From the document mark posted it seems to be available in the user menu on the 5000ex. Once this is done RS232 control works fine. I assume it is the same accross the entire pioneer plasma range. I found feedback to be quite limited on the R06E so ended up using IR anyway but 232 does work.

Ps. I happen to work above a pioneer service centre so i called them and asked an engineer i know about the Rs232 control. At first I got the standard "that port is only used for service" line. Later on he realised it was me calling so he came up and spent half an hour showing me how to do it. He even gave me some software to help test all the various commands.

Oh, so it would seem it's policy to lie to the customer about the use of that port. They just don't want to have to deal with the support end of it. Since there are probably commands you can send that will mess the set up, I don't blame them, but I'm still put off that they feel it necessary to lie instead of limiting the data to certified dealers like anyone else would do.
  • Options
    ReijiiReijii Posts: 2
    Switch to RS-232C

With the PDP-5000EX/PRO-FHD1, the serial port is commonly used by the RS-232C and SR+ connectors. Although the setting upon shipment is RS-232C, it can be changed to SR+, using the Home menu. If SR+ is selected, to use the RS-232C commands during servicing to control the unit the setting must be returned to RS-232C.
    How to switch between SR+ and RS-232C:
    There are two ways to switch: (1) by using the remote control unit during Standby mode, and (2) by using the Home menu.
    (1) Switching by using the remote control unit during Standby mode
    • From SR+ to RS-232C
    With the unit in normal Standby mode, press a key other than the Standby key. Then within 10 seconds, hold the
    Volume + (or -) key pressed for 3 to 10 seconds.
    Then hold the 2-screen key pressed for 3 to 10 seconds. Then within 3 seconds, press the Enter key.
    The Standby LED flashes twice.
    Then the setting is switched to RS-232C, and the baud rate becomes 9600 bps.
    • From RS-232C to SR+
    With the unit in normal Standby mode, press a key other than the Standby key. Then within 10 seconds, hold the
    Volume + (or -) key pressed for 3 to 10 seconds.
    Then hold the 2-screen key pressed for 3 to 10 seconds. Then within 3 seconds, press the HOME MENU key.
    Then the setting is switched to SR+.
    (2) Switching by using the Home menu
    • From SR+ to RS-232C
    Press the HOME MENU key. Move the cursor to Initial Setting, using the Up or Down key, then press the Enter key.
    Move the cursor to SR+, by the Up or Down key. Move the cursor to "Off," using the Left or Right key.
    Press the HOME MENU key to exit the Home menu.
    Then the setting is switched to RS-232C, and the baud rate becomes 9600 bps.
    • From RS-232C to SR+
    Press the HOME MENU key. Move the cursor to Initial Setting, by using the Up or Down key, and press the Enter key.
    Move the cursor to SR+, by using the Up or Down key. Move the cursor to "On," by using the Left or Right key.
    Press the HOME MENU key to exit from the Home menu.
    Then the setting is switched to SR+.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Since pretty much all of the Pioneer pieces are the same, and we've been using this in every job for about the past two years, I've become very familiar with the device. Here's a quick word of advice: when you recieve "2,'XXX',3" from the device, it's already powered on, or on that input. I haven't found a reliable way to querry the device, but if you always send a power on command, you will either recieve the 'XXX' command, or 'PON' command back, at which point if you did get the 'XXX' it's already on and ready for its next command (which would probably be the input command.) Whenever it responds, 9 times out of 10 it's ready for its next command. I've written a nice code block that works with the Pioneer quickly enough to where you don't see an input change from the power on stage, it just goes right to the input.

Some people prefer to work with this device using a timeline, though I'd rather work with it based on the feedback I'm getting. If feedback fails though, you need a safety net (such as buffering / queuing the commands) so that if you don't recieve feedback for whatever reason (gremlins eating the recieve wire, etc.) it will still switch.

Hope this helps!
    DHawthorne wrote:
    ...but I'm still put off that they feel it necessary to lie instead of limiting the data to certified dealers like anyone else would do.
    I feel the same way. I've spoke with Pioneer several times and it's always the same BS that it's used for service and that's all. Sharp is the same way. We almost need a group of guys that just hack these pieces, and post all the information, or an insider to relay all the information.
  • Options
    i have integrated this one last monday. I even have a pdf with pretty much the same commands as in the word file. I had to go to the menu and switch SR+ to OFF as the sequence specified by Reijii did not work in my case (or I was tooo stupid).

I haven't done more than power, inputs and aspect stuff. if you have a question just ask. maybe i could even post the pdf here....
  • Options
    ReijiiReijii Posts: 2
    для тупых

В режиме стандбай:
    кратковременно нажать SPLIT
    зажать на 5 секунд VOL+
    зажать на 5 секунд SPLIT
    кратковременно нажать ENTER
    индикатор стандбай 2 раза мигнет.
    Это переключит плазму в RS-232 на скорости 9600.

In Standby mode:
    quick press SPLIT then
    hold 5 seconds VOL+ then
    hold 5 seconds SPLIT then
    quick press ENTER

(SPLIT = 2-screen key)

We are installed 3 plazma display with it.
  • Options
    staticatticstaticattic Posts: 200
    Don't know if this helps or not. This is a segment of code I wrote for controlling my Pioneer plasmas serially:

dvPLAS1 = 5001:3:0 //PLASMA 1 ON SERIAL PORT 3 Pioneer Model PDP 505CMX Straight Thru 2, 3, 5, 8 F to F

//Plasmas MUST have an ID before serial commands will be accepted. To assign an ID, initiate Integrator mode as follows:
    //Turn on Plasma
    //On the remote, press and hold "Display" for up to 5 seconds, until Integrator screen displays
    //Press "Menu"
    //Use arrow keys under "Option" tab to navigate to Baud Rate and ID Number Set
    //For setting baud rate, "Set" cycles thru settings
    //For ID Number Set, Press "Set" then use arrow keys to select digits
    //Press "Set" to save
    //Press "Menu" to exit
    //Command Structure:
    //SEND_STRING dvPLASMA, "$02,'**INPOS1',$03"
    //** = Plasma Number

Here are the commands that Pioneer begrudgingly gave me:

COMMAND PARAMETER FUNCTION
    POF POWER OFF
    PON POWER ON
    VOL xxx VOLxxx LEVEL VALUE (EXAMPLE: VOL 015)
    VOL UPx (x= 1-9) INCREASE VALUE 1 -9
    VOL UP0 INCREASE 10 VALUE
    VOL UPF SET TO MAX VALUE
    VOL DWx (x= 1-9) DECREASE VALUE 1 -9
    VOL DW0 DECREASE 10 VALUE
    VOL DWF SET TO MIN VALUE
    AMT S00 AUDIO MUTE OFF
    AMT S01 AUDIO MUTE ON
    INP S01 INPUT 1
    INP S02 INPUT 2
    INP S03 INPUT 3
    INP S04 INPUT 4
    INP S05 INPUT 5
    INP S06 INPUT 6
    INP S07 INPUT 7
    AVS S01 AV SELECTION: STANDARD
    AVS S02 AV SELECTION: DYNAMIC
    AVS S03 AV SELECTION: MOVIE
    AVS S04 AV SELECTION: GAME
    AVS S06 AV SELECTION: PURE
    AVS S07 AV SELECTION: USER
    AVS S08 AV SELECTION: ISF-DAY (AFTER CALIBRATION)
    AVS S09 AV SELECTION: ISF-NIGHT (AFTER CALIBRATION)
    SZM S00 SCREEN SIZE: DOT BY DOT/PARTIAL (PC ONLY)
    SZM S01 SCREEN SIZE: 4:3
    SZM S02 SCREEN SIZE: FULL/FULL 1080i
    SZM S03 SCREEN SIZE: ZOOM
    SZM S05 SCREEN SIZE: WIDE
    MST S00 SINGLE WINDOW DISPLAY
    MST S01 MULTI WINDOW: 2 SCREEN(MAIN SCREEN SIZE: NORMAL)
    MST S08 SWAP (REPLACE SUB-SCREEN FOR PIP)
    OSD S00 OSD DISPLAY OFF
    OSD S01 OSD DISPLAY ON
    SRS S00 SRS OFF
    SRS S01 SRS ON
    TBS S00 TRUBASS OFF
    TBS S01 TRUBASS ON
    FCS S00 FOCUS OFF
    FCS S01 FOCUS ON
    INA xxx ANTENNA A ANALOG xxx CHANNEL(EXAMPLE: CHANNEL 35 = INA035)
    INA xxxxxx xxx ANTENNA A DIGITAL xxxxxx xxx CHANNEL(EXAMPLE: CHANNEL 5.001 = INA000005001)
    INB xxx ANTENNA B ANALOG xxx CHANNEL(EXAMPLE: CHANNEL 35 = INB035)
    INB xxxxxx xxx ANTENNA B DIGITAL xxxxxx xxx CHANNEL(EXAMPLE: CHANNEL 5.001 = INB000005001)
    INA or INB FWD PRESET CHANNEL 1 STEP FORWARD (EXAMPLE: INBFWD)
    INA or INB REV PRESET CHANNEL 1 STEP BACK (EXAMPLE: INAREV)
  • Options
    Seems to work for my PDP-4280HD just fine. I just send " $02, '**INPS01', $03 " without any of the addressing stuff above and it just works... Thanks!