Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

iPod App Store

Have you found any apps that make programming or using AMX easier or more functional?

I found a nice calculator app called MissingCalc. It is VERY nice when you are trying to manually figure out checksums for testing. The only problem I have with it is that you have to push = before adding a third (fourth, fifth,...) number to a sequence. Price of the app means that I will live with the = thing tho :) (it's free).

I know there is an app that will let you control an AMX system from an iPod touch, but I have not used it.

I know that there are a few VNC programs, but the free one I tried does not connect properly to AMX panels.

I am pretty sure I saw a couple of IP calculators, but I haven't had any reason to get one yet.

Jeff

Comments

• iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    Jaadu VNC

I've posted about this elsewhere but I'll reiterate. Jaadu VNC works fantastically well with AMX and is perfectly usable. I've only read one post from anyone claiming to have got the free Mocha client to work. I've tried it on all sorts of hardware, I can't get Mocha VNC to work at all.

Not so much an AMX application but the Sonos app is a fantastic way of controlling a Sonos setup.
  • iLoveControl
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I know there is an app that will let you control an AMX system from an iPod touch, but I have not used it.

One of these apps is iLoveControl. Although it is limited to a predefined set of functions, it works great together with AMX. I'm about to finish an AMX module set (a combination of duet and netlinx modules) which eases the integration of this app into an existing AMX implementation quite a lot. Attached you find the module documentation (subject to change). The code needs still to be cleaned up.

Patrick
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    Have you found any apps that make programming or using AMX easier or more functional?

I found a nice calculator app called MissingCalc. It is VERY nice when you are trying to manually figure out checksums for testing. The only problem I have with it is that you have to push = before adding a third (fourth, fifth,...) number to a sequence. Price of the app means that I will live with the = thing tho :) (it's free).

I know that there are a few VNC programs, but the free one I tried does not connect properly to AMX panels.

I am pretty sure I saw a couple of IP calculators, but I haven't had any reason to get one yet.

Jeff
    A great calc I use is the xp powertoy Calc.

It's written by some ex ms script kiddies and is a very useful calc. write your own formulas etc.

Google xp powertoys - there are a few good things there apart from the calc too - IMO
  • Jaadu works flawlessly. Vnc into the panels and you are done. Panoramic mode is gr8
  • TarlTarl Posts: 4
    jaadu vnc

Just be sure to have a password set, it needs to authenticate. Not the best refresh time, but a cheap solution to adding another touch panel !

Cheers !
  • itayitay Posts: 1
    I have Chicken of the VNC connecting to the TP just fine, but when I try to do it on Jaadu it just gets stuck on "Authenticating..." and then saying "server closed the connection". Any idea how to get it work?

Itay
  • RDP Lite is a great remote desktop connection program that allows you to access your PC desktop from your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Not necessarily related to programming, but there is a $0.99 Ohm's Law Calculator.

Units is a free unit conversion app that covers many different areas.

GraphCalc is a free graphing calculator.
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    Clingpeach wrote: »
    Jaadu works flawlessly. Vnc into the panels and you are done. Panoramic mode is gr8

Are you able to do press and hold stuff through Jaadu? Everything else works, but I had setup some press and hold functionality for some buttons and i couldn't get it to work at all.
  • Ive had no problems using Jaadu. I can use all functionality. Only through wireless not 3G. The arrow has to be on the button and a tap is all it needs for me.
  • flcusatflcusat Posts: 309
    I just installed the paid version of Jaadu on my iTouch. I'm connected to the MVP-8400 at my house but the graphic interface it is not big enough to be usable. It doesn't fill the iTouch screen completely. Any ideas?
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    Try the connection type as Windows

Not tested this but I think I know what may be happening

The latest version of Jaadu has an option to select AMX Touchpanel as the connection type. I've not tested it on a 800 x 600 screen but it scales the 800 x 480 screens to remove the slight scrolling that was there before. If it scales an 800 x 600 screen it will be unusably small

I think if you select Windows as the connection type, it won't scale it down. You can still enable Touchscreen rather than cursor mode - though cursor mode is pretty useful. Give it a go
    iainshaw wrote: »
    Not tested this but I think I know what may be happening

The latest version of Jaadu has an option to select AMX Touchpanel as the connection type. I've not tested it on a 800 x 600 screen but it scales the 800 x 480 screens to remove the slight scrolling that was there before. If it scales an 800 x 600 screen it will be unusably small

I think if you select Windows as the connection type, it won't scale it down. You can still enable Touchscreen rather than cursor mode - though cursor mode is pretty useful. Give it a go

Yes that's exactly what happened. I tried using it in windows mode and the gui shows bigger now although I need to move it around. I still get probably 2 out 5 button presses to work.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    AMX has Virtual Keypad Mobile Edition available for free. It creates a set of buttons that you can do whatever you want with in code.
    AMX has Virtual Keypad Mobile Edition available for free. It creates a set of buttons that you can do whatever you want with in code.

Thanks. I'm aware of it. But I thought that it was really cool to have a replica of the TP on the iTouch. I've been playing around with the setting to see if i get a better success with the BP but it is sluggish at best. I might be doing something wrong or have a setting that is not properly set.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    Jaadu currently handles touches a bit different than we are used to in the AMX world. We are used to push/hold/release ... they also have double tap, tap-pan, and tap-tap-pan (and probably anything else they want to incorporate)....and have to deal with these extra interactions.

Currently Jaadu does the following (as far as I can tell):

TAP - AMX push/release (a TAP, mind you, if you touch and hold the screen this is not a TAP)
    TAP-DRAG - Pan around screen (when zoomed in) (TAP-HOLD also initiates this action)
    TAP-TAP-HOLD - AMX push/hold
    TAP-TAP-DRAG - AMX Drag (for sliders? I have not verified this one)

I've talked with Jaadu and explained how AMX TPs work (TAP-HOLD being very common) and it sounds like they will be making some changes so a future version will act more like a TP.

I have had very good luck with Jaadu. It is a tad slow to refresh the screen, but is exactly what I'd expect from a VNC connection. It did take me a while to figure out the TAP vs TAP-DRAG vs TAP-TAP. Hopefully they can make the AMX Touchscreen mode act just like a TP, it sounds like they can and will.
    Colzie wrote: »
    Jaadu currently handles touches a bit different than we are used to in the AMX world. We are used to push/hold/release ... they also have double tap, tap-pan, and tap-tap-pan (and probably anything else they want to incorporate)....and have to deal with these extra interactions.

Currently Jaadu does the following (as far as I can tell):

TAP - AMX push/release (a TAP, mind you, if you touch and hold the screen this is not a TAP)
    TAP-DRAG - Pan around screen (when zoomed in) (TAP-HOLD also initiates this action)
    TAP-TAP-HOLD - AMX push/hold
    TAP-TAP-DRAG - AMX Drag (for sliders? I have not verified this one)

I've talked with Jaadu and explained how AMX TPs work (TAP-HOLD being very common) and it sounds like they will be making some changes so a future version will act more like a TP.

I have had very good luck with Jaadu. It is a tad slow to refresh the screen, but is exactly what I'd expect from a VNC connection. It did take me a while to figure out the TAP vs TAP-DRAG vs TAP-TAP. Hopefully they can make the AMX Touchscreen mode act just like a TP, it sounds like they can and will.

Thanks Chad. It makes sense now and it could be this what is causing the issues I'm having. At this point since my TP is an 800 x 600 the screen that I get in the iTouch is pretty useless, so I changed it to windows. Could you post the different settings that you have for the connection, to make sure that there is not something else I need to look on my side.
    I did not have to tweak any settings to get it to work...

Under Server Information I selected AMX Touch Interface.

Under Advanced I turned on Rotation Lock. Change this setting when connected and in the orientation you want. This is just a preference, I like mine to always load in landscape mode.

I've used this with an 800x600 panel and would hardly say it is useless...but you definitely have to zoom in to hit closely spaced or small buttons.
    Colzie wrote: »
    I did not have to tweak any settings to get it to work...

Under Server Information I selected AMX Touch Interface.

Under Advanced I turned on Rotation Lock. Change this setting when connected and in the orientation you want. This is just a preference, I like mine to always load in landscape mode.

I've used this with an 800x600 panel and would hardly say it is useless...but you definitely have to zoom in to hit closely spaced or small buttons.

Thanks. I didn't know about the zoom feature. LOL. I just got the itouch to play with this applications.
    One other suggestion I had for Jaadu was to be able to hide the top signal/time/battery bar as well as be able to hide the Jaadu controls. If I'm serious about using my iPhone as a touch panel I don't need to see all that stuff. They said they have a UI redesign in the works with these options.
    flcusat wrote: »
    Thanks. I didn't know about the zoom feature. LOL. I just got the itouch to play with this applications.

Just un-pinch!

What is the term for this, stretch?