Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

New functions using Telnet

Hi everyone,

I'm making one program for windows with a microsoft outlook installed, runs in background. The program now, send how many unread messages you have, when a new mail comes send the subject, sender, etc and makes popup in the touchpanel. By now I think is really useful, but I wanna add some new functions for this program. The problem is what more should I put? I don't have any idea, so guys I want some help from you.

I will probably put the program for download here, but first I need make a english version, I make an portuguese version, sorry.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Diogo wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm making one program for windows with a microsoft outlook installed, runs in background. The program now, send how many unread messages you have, when a new mail comes send the subject, sender, etc and makes popup in the touchpanel. By now I think is really useful, but I wanna add some new functions for this program. The problem is what more should I put? I don't have any idea, so guys I want some help from you.

I will probably put the program for download here, but first I need make a english version, I make an portuguese version, sorry.

Thanks,

Are you saying this is a Netlinx program?
  • Options
    DiogoDiogo Posts: 65
    no,

it's a program that runs on systray, in times in times send information to central controller.
  • Options
    maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Diogo,

Why do you need to add the new functions? If you can't answer this question, there is really no point in moving forward...
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Diogo wrote: »
    no,

it's a program that runs on systray, in times in times send information to central controller.

Are you saying that a program running in the system tray keeps a connection to a Netlinx controller?
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I think what the program does is allow a connection from your PC to the AMX processor. Either the AMX or the PC runs a telnet server and the client connects to the server to either request or send updates. This sounds like a great idea. You run the app on the homeowners PC and then you can see how many unread emails are on the computer. You can also get a brief overview of each message.

I think Diogo is looking for ideas as to other common information you might want to know about on a PC from the touch panel. The question is what information can be gathered by the PC program to share with the AMX processor?

I think grabbing a list of appointments for the day would be VERY nice. Also, any alerts from outlook would be nice.

Jeff
  • Options
    Diogo,

One thing is unclear for me though. Why to use telnet, if this can be done via server type IP connection on AMX side (module) and MAPI based application on Windows side? Any advantages?
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    maxifox wrote: »
    Diogo,

One thing is unclear for me though. Why to use telnet, if this can be done via server type IP connection on AMX side (module) and MAPI based application on Windows side? Any advantages?

Telnet is far simpler, for one thing.
  • Options
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Telnet is far simpler, for one thing.

Hmm, usually we keep telnet off on masters for security reasons... SSH though does not make any great difference for that case.
  • Options
    Yes, Spire_Jeff, you are right, yes it's possible get an overview of message, subject.

I like the idea of get appointments and alerts, and the best, it's possible.

Technically is possible get any information from the computer, just need a activex reference or component , I guess it's a better thing comparing using the computer control. Another thing, for example is control an Itunes or Windows media player library controlled by with a touch panel with an user friendly interface, but it already exists, one example is autonomic home. For who don't know about it I recommend check it out at http://www.autonomichome.com, really really amazing.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    maxifox wrote: »
    Hmm, usually we keep telnet off on masters for security reasons... SSH though does not make any great difference for that case.

This would not be using the telnet to master option, this would be a program uses ip_server_open() and listen for a telnet connection on which ever port is specified. This "server" would only respond to commands that are programmed in the code.

or, you could use the PC as the server and use ip_client_open() on the AMX processor :)

Jeff
  • Options
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »

you could use the PC as the server and use ip_client_open() on the AMX processor :)

Jeff

hum, this gonna solve some persistent problems in my PC application,