Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Channel Lineup - code or TP?

So - I know there's two ways of handling channel lineups: in code or on the panel.

For a while now (past few years) I've been putting the channels in the touch panel and do a BUTTON.INPUT.CHANNEL in code to fire off the channel, like so:
[dvTP_CAB,0]
{
  PUSH:
  {
    fnSendStation(dvCableBox,BUTTON.INPUT.CHANNEL) // Send station to cable box.
  }
}
and then in the panel those buttons would have a separate port number in the panel and then a routine to fire off those station.

Then, there's the other school of thought: have it all hard coded.

I can see particular advantages and disadvantages to both. With the "Code in panel" way, if a channel changes (or a client wants it changed to a different channel) you can make a change in the panel without any code modification and be done with it. The downside though (from what I've been seeing) is that TPD4 isn't truly "smart" with its Smart-Transfer function. If you change the file name of the panel (even if just modifying one button) it transfers the whole thing - not good when there's been a huge lineup change for DirecTV or a specific cable provider and all of your clients are affected. Also, I've been running into the issue where it'll do a full transfer even if the file name is the same. Again - not good when you've got 20 jobs that have at least 5 panels.

Now - with the "Code in master" way, if a channel changes for whatever reason, you need to at the very least change code, if not the panel in the case of a client removing a station to add another (logo change.) However, when it's just a channel change (i.e. Fox News now goes to channel x, no modification to panel required) it's a quick download and you're done.

There seems to be a third option that's been gaining popularity: dynamic channel lists and also using dynamic images. Now this way - you're utilizing the full power of code and the panel.

So my question to you all is: which is your preferred method? Which way have you been using it? What other pros & cons are there that I haven't covered? I'm seriously debating to switch everything over to a dynamic channel list, however the time and effort could very much outweigh the end result - but if this happens often - I can definitely see how it pays off.

So - have at it and gimme your thoughts!

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I do the code method. However, I only change the channel lineup in a database. My mothership mater here at work, stores the current channel lineup. the remote masters check with it once a day and if the lineup has changed, it updates. That way I only have to change the database.
  • Options
    jazzwyldjazzwyld Posts: 199
    What I do...

I use dynamic channels. I give the client about 60 favorites to make their own groups. In a house with 4 people and 4 cable boxes 70 isn't as many as you think. This gives them the ability to change/make their own favorites. I don't use dynamic images, but I do let them create their own "name" for the channel. I know VA can do something similar to that, but I don't use VA.

I actually posted my cable module several months ago, but I've been refining it since then.
  • Options
    +1 for dynamic presets. Even though personally I am not a big fan of using channel icons I have played around with different dynamic selection techniques for graphics along with displaying a user entered name and channel number. Funny enough the request/demand for channel icons rarely comes from the end user but more often enough the installation company I am contracted to.
  • Options
    jazzwyldjazzwyld Posts: 199
    icraigie wrote: »
    Funny enough the request/demand for channel icons rarely comes from the end user but more often enough the installation company I am contracted to.

Indeed my installers always come up with ideas. They mention it to me.. I say "No one, but you would use that". They mention it to the client. Then I spend a 1/2 day figuring out how to do what they just talked about. It is a constant struggle to tell them to keep their mouth shut.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Here is a typical channel display for our clients. We break it up into categories for them with channels they want. We usually have a "standard" preset list and then change with what they want.