Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

CV7 no touchscreen response after firmware update?

I just updated the firmware on my NXT-CV7 to 2.72.11, and afterward, I can no longer get the touchpanel to respond to touch. Also, the hard button on the front will no longer work. I can continue to see the panel in the Online tree and can transfer files to my heart's content, but when the screen goes blank, that's it. can't control it before OR after the LCD times out. Can't get into setup, etc. Help?

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    vegastech wrote: »
    I just updated the firmware on my NXT-CV7 to 2.72.11, and afterward, I can no longer get the touchpanel to respond to touch. Also, the hard button on the front will no longer work. I can continue to see the panel in the Online tree and can transfer files to my heart's content, but when the screen goes blank, that's it. can't control it before OR after the LCD times out. Can't get into setup, etc. Help?

two things. One sounds like you need to recalibrate it. To force it into calibration, pull the power off. Then repower it while holding your finger in the center of the screen. Don't let go. You'll go through the boot up screen and eventually come on. Keep holding. You'll then be taken to the setup page after 6 seconds. Keep holding on after that for another 6 seconds. You'll then go to the calibration page. Recalibrate and you should be good.

If you can see the panel online, you can also send the Calibrate command via Netlinx Studio.

The other problem (hard button access) is probably due to the setting being disabled in the setup page. Once you're calibrated, you can then get into the setup page and set the font access setting to 'allow'

If none of this works, then the touch surface of the panel is blown or something of that nature and it'll have to go in. I suspect it just needs recalibrating, however.

hope that helps
    e
  • vegastechvegastech Posts: 369
    Ok, so I was able to disconnect and reconnect power. I held the panel surface thru the boot process, and it took me into setup. Another few seconds of holding it down took me to the calibration screen. Once I was there, however, I was unable to press the + icon to start calibrating. Is there another way to calibrate? I can VNC into the panel and operate it.
    FYI the front panel button was not disabled. I can get into the panel via the webcontrol page on my netlinx master and go thru all the pages (except for the calibration page, as it won't recognize a press, although the panel makes its button select noise).
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Try going back to the previous firmware and see if the touch returns. If the calibration was off real bad going to the cal page should have fixed that problem but since it didn't I'd go back to firmware that was working and see if it works again. If it does I would then reload the new version but make sure you don't need to update to another version prior to this newest version. It possible your 1st attemp to load this firmware got partially corrupted and a reload might just make it work.
    How can I find a previous firmware version? AMX.com only has the current version in the firmware list when I look at the cv7 page. does anyone have an older version i can try? Also, would it be possible that the 32mb flash card I have in the panel isn't large enough for the new firmware, and that's why it's not responding? How do I check the available space on the CF card? Can I do it thru netlinx studio?
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    How can I find a previous firmware version? AMX.com only has the current version in the firmware list when I look at the cv7 page. does anyone have an older version i can try? Also, would it be possible that the 32mb flash card I have in the panel isn't large enough for the new firmware, and that's why it's not responding? How do I check the available space on the CF card? Can I do it thru netlinx studio?
    Go to the archived section, it should be in there.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Funny, I had the exact same problem in my showroom, and just assumed it was a bad panel. I replaced it, but never bothered to update the firmware on my replacement (I had another in stock, and I'm not sure at all that I ever got the original repaired) so I can't confirm it was the firmware update that blew it up. When I have a spare on hand that works, I may try that.
    I was able to locate the archived files, but now I have a different problem - the firmware will start to transfer, but will then halt at downloading 8 of 8 files and never finish. I have tried rebooting the panel, but that doesn't fix it. I'll try rebooting my computer and then try again later tonight. Shrug.
  • There two processors in the panel, one that handles the application (and reads from the CF card) and one that manages all the sensors, touch, backlight, etc. Files 1-7 in the upgrade process are for the first processor, file 8 is for the second.

You have done all the right things as Eric pointed you to do. Since the next upgrade of the panel firmware is failing on file 8 of 8 it is likely that the second processor I mentioned has had something happen to its Flash or RAM. The fact that the panel is actually turning on, backlight is coming on, etc indicates that processor is running correctly (it controls the power to the board -- if it was dead the panel wouldn't even power on). Does your panel have 6 external buttons? If it does hold down the two far right buttons for about 3 seconds. This will start a little easter egg I use for debugging (which is why I put it in there). It will flash the button LEDs back and forth. If this works it is further indication that the processor is fine. If it works, for fun you can press the 3rd from right and far right buttons together for 3s and it will go into Knight Rider mode. :-)

The only times I have seen this happen recently is on panels where a power glitch of some kind happened during the upgrade of file 8 of 8. In other words, it got part of the way into writing its flash and then something happened. Essentially it has enough to run but not enough to upgrade.

If a downgrade isn't working I'm afraid you will have to send the unit in for repair. Hardware wise there probably is nothing wrong. The chip just needs to be programmed manually. I apologize for the inconvenience this causes. You should contact AMX Tech Support and work on getting your unit in and turned around quickly.
  • ipssheldonipssheldon Posts: 106
    For what its worth, if the hard button at the bottom is working, you can force a panel into setup mode by simply holding the button down past the time it goes to setup mode. A few seconds after the setup pages come up, if you are still holding the button, the panel will go to calibration mode. This works on wireless panels, like the 8400 by holding both of the bottom left and right buttons down past setup mode.

You no longer need to power cycle with your thumb in the middle of the screen, unless the hard buttons are also not working.
    Yup, the hard button also does nothing when power cycling. It definitely sounds like it's going to need to go in for service. Darn it. I had this panel working for about a week, finally get around to start programming it (only touchpanel at my house), and I partially brick it. Man I feel dumb for not listening to my brain.
  • J.Y.J.Y. Posts: 34
    I meet the same situation on one old mvp-7500 , after firmware update to newest one , the calibration was all gone!! All way I tried again and again and not worked.
    Well, after I checked with tech, I got a quote for 400.00 to do the repair/firmware update. I think I'm gonna keep this as a VNC panel for now. Ouch. FYI I tried doing the current firmware update again, and it still hung at the 8 of 8 files (hcs12.tsk). The sensor (OID=5) version is indeed v0.00.0.
    Yeah that's not very nice. They put out a firmware that breaks your panel and then charge you $400.00 to flash it with a good firmware. Well that's one way to make money in hard economic times. Kind of like Munchausen by proxy syndrome.

I seem to recall a similar problem a few month ago which probably invloved a firmware update to several 5200i's. Eventually I got the firmware to take but for the life of me I can't remember exactly what the conditions were and what I did to make it take. I probably removed all user pages but I'm not sure if you'd be able to do that. That may have been just a panel file and I was running out of memory so removing user pages would make sense.
    In all fairness, the firmware may not have broken it, that one last load of the firmware might just have been the last straw on a failing CF card. AMX has flat rates for panel repairs, but they frequently (but not always, so don't hold me to that) will do CF replacements for no charge, so it's possible that $400 isn't definite.
    DHawthorne wrote:
    In all fairness, the firmware may not have broken it, that one last load of the firmware might just have been the last straw on a failing CF card.
    Of course that's true and most likely the case but as a newbie trying to set up a bench/house system that's a hard pill to swallow when after all he was just doing what we've all been repeatedly told to do. On one hand we're ask to run the most current firmware but on the other hand we have to do so at our own risk. If he didn't do the upgraded how long would that CF last, weeks, months, years? I know I've personbally lost thousands of dollars in labor associated with firmware being released that shouldn't have, trying to fix problems that didn't exist before the upgrade. Of course you usually don't find these problems for few weeks and by then you forgot you upgraded the firmware.

As far as firmware 2.72.11 goes I have it currently running in my CV7 and with out issue but my CV7 might newer than the one in question using different internal parts.
    vining wrote: »
    DHawthorne wrote:

Of course that's true and most likely the case but as a newbie trying to set up a bench/house system that's a hard pill to swallow when after all he was just doing what we've all been repeatedly told to do. On one hand we're ask to run the most current firmware but on the other hand we have to do so at our own risk. If he didn't do the upgraded how long would that CF last, weeks, months, years? I know I've personbally lost thousands of dollars in labor associated with firmware being released that shouldn't have, trying to fix problems that didn't exist before the upgrade. Of course you usually don't find these problems for few weeks and by then you forgot you upgraded the firmware.

As far as firmware 2.72.11 goes I have it currently running in my CV7 and with out issue but my CV7 might newer than the one in question using different internal parts.

You're right; I don't replace firmware anymore at all unless there is a clear and definite advantage (as in, known bug corrected that affects the project). If it works, don't fix it.
    I'm gonna make that my new signature on my iPhone. :)

"if it works, don't fix it"

That way, I REMEMBER it.
  • DHawthorne wrote: »
    In all fairness, the firmware may not have broken it, that one last load of the firmware might just have been the last straw on a failing CF card. AMX has flat rates for panel repairs, but they frequently (but not always, so don't hold me to that) will do CF replacements for no charge, so it's possible that $400 isn't definite.

File 8 of 8 is not on the CF card. It is stored in the built in flash of the other processor on the panel. The curious thing is that the panel still works but rejects the download. Can you remember what version you were at prior to the upgrade? That might give me a clue and give me something to test against and try to duplicate. If I can duplicate then maybe there is a way to get it recovered for you.
  • KennyKenny Posts: 209
    I've gone thru this 3 times on the CV7.
    Once I thought it was me but with TS on the phone I did exactly the same thing and had to send both back for repair. The 3rd one wasn't upgraded until the other 2 came back and sure enough when I was upgraded the thing died and had to be sent back.
    Unfortunately I don't recall the exact versions of the new or old FW. I'm sure TS has notes on what we did.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    Well, after I checked with tech, I got a quote for 400.00 to do the repair/firmware update.
    Kenny wrote: »
    I've gone thru this 3 times on the CV7.
    Once I thought it was me but with TS on the phone I did exactly the same thing and had to send both back for repair. The 3rd one wasn't upgraded until the other 2 came back and sure enough when I was upgraded the thing died and had to be sent back.
    Unfortunately I don't recall the exact versions of the new or old FW. I'm sure TS has notes on what we did.

Seems to me there's a definite problem updating some units, be it due to certain firmware versions or otherwise.

I'd be pushing AMX to do the repair gratis on this basis. Can one of the AMX team monitoring the forums authorise an RMA for this unit?
  • edgelitocedgelitoc Posts: 160
    I had also an experience with MVP7500 wireless Touchpanels which the buttons are not responding when its plugged to external power supply, if its on battery the buttons were responding. Does anybody had encounter it before.