Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

NI-700 Device ID 5001 will not stick

I?ve got some NI-700s that won?t keep a 5001 Device ID. I go into Device Addressing and change the device ID to 5001 and it shows up in the online tree as 5001 but as soon as the NI-700 reboots the Device ID reverts to a dynamic address of 32002 (NS2 is 32001.)

Has anyone seen this problem before? The NI-700s have the latest firmware. Could it be a bad batteries? I?ve got 3 out of 25 NI-700s acting this way.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    I?ve got some NI-700s that won?t keep a 5001 Device ID. I go into Device Addressing and change the device ID to 5001 and it shows up in the online tree as 5001 but as soon as the NI-700 reboots the Device ID reverts to a dynamic address of 32002 (NS2 is 32001.)

Has anyone seen this problem before? The NI-700s have the latest firmware. Could it be a bad batteries? I?ve got 3 out of 25 NI-700s acting this way.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

I have seen this behavior. Have you tried addressing it to a non-default address like 5002?
    Paul
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    I have seen this behavior. Have you tried addressing it to a non-default address like 5002?
    How did you resolve your issue? 5002 doesn't stick either.
  • Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    How did you resolve your issue? 5002 doesn't stick either.

I believe uploading firmware again fixed it.
    Paul
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    I believe uploading firmware again fixed it.
    Paul
    I concur. I've had 1 NI-700 and one NI3100 do this and firmware uploads fixed it. (both firmeares, by the way - device and master)
  • Options
    I'll reload the firmware once again on Monday when I'm on-site next.
    I'll report back with the results.
    Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    Reloaded the firmware again and still no go.
    Three out of 25 brand new out of the box NI-700s won't keep the 5001 Device ID.
    They revert back to a dynamic address every time after a reboot.
    Oh well...
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Reloaded the firmware again and still no go.
    Three out of 25 brand new out of the box NI-700s won't keep the 5001 Device ID.
    They revert back to a dynamic address every time after a reboot.
    Oh well...

I've got one word for you my friend...

'RMA'
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    88%, that's a passing grade, right? :)

Is the system number the only thing that gets lost?

You don't have any code running that changes the system number, do you?

Jeff
  • Options
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    Is the system number the only thing that gets lost?
    Nope, it's not the system number. It's the Device ID as in 5001 that doesn't stick.
  • Options
    Nope, it's not the system number. It's the Device ID as in 5001 that doesn't stick.

My bad, I was just dealing with some multi-processor system problems and I had system numbers on my mind :)

Jeff
  • Options
    My bad, I was just dealing with some multi-processor system problems and I had system numbers on my mind :)
    No problem. It?s always good to be aware of the system numbers.

I?m wondering how the Device ID is stored and if a bad or missing battery might be the problem. If I was smart I would have checked the time on the NI to see if that sticks. If I was smart...
  • Options
    No problem. It?s always good to be aware of the system numbers.

I?m wondering how the Device ID is stored and if a bad or missing battery might be the problem. If I was smart I would have checked the time on the NI to see if that sticks. If I was smart...

That's where I was heading. I was wondering if the nonvolatile memory was just not holding on. So, was it a battery issue?

Jeff
  • Options
    So, was it a battery issue?
    Don't know. I've moved on. If I find out I'll let you know.
  • Options
    First, the device number of the device side is not stored in battery backed RAM. It is stored in a EEPROM. With the old device side firmware (pre 1.20.7) if the device boots and for some reason the checksum of EEPROM isn't valid it goes with a default of 0, which tells the master to give it a dynamic device number (i.e. 32002). With the new device side firmware (1.20.7) if the device boots and checksum doesn't pass it go to a default of 5001.

Now, the EEPROM has to be programmed correctly by our manufacturer when we ship. We recently discovered that a small set of EEPROMs were not being set correctly and therefore would not retain their device numbers. In fact, they essentially are read only. We thought we caught the whole batch and returned them to the factory but apparently a few must have slipped through. I am guessing that is the problem you are having. If you upgrade to 1.20.7 and the problem is not resolved then that would be an indication to me that you need to return those units back to AMX for replacements.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • Options
    Thanks for the explanation. Mystery solved.
    rgelling wrote: »
    First, the device number of the device side is not stored in battery backed RAM. It is stored in a EEPROM. With the old device side firmware (pre 1.20.7) if the device boots and for some reason the checksum of EEPROM isn't valid it goes with a default of 0, which tells the master to give it a dynamic device number (i.e. 32002). With the new device side firmware (1.20.7) if the device boots and checksum doesn't pass it go to a default of 5001.

Now, the EEPROM has to be programmed correctly by our manufacturer when we ship. We recently discovered that a small set of EEPROMs were not being set correctly and therefore would not retain their device numbers. In fact, they essentially are read only. We thought we caught the whole batch and returned them to the factory but apparently a few must have slipped through. I am guessing that is the problem you are having. If you upgrade to 1.20.7 and the problem is not resolved then that would be an indication to me that you need to return those units back to AMX for replacements.

Sorry for the inconvenience.