Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Send key presses to WinXP computer?

Hi, I am trying to figure out how it is best to send emulated keybord presses to a networked PC running windows XP? This is for a media player control (powerdvd) which is controlled from the keyboard. Thanks much and greetings.

Comments

• Options
    AMX use to have a component called PC link. You'd use this component in a VB program or C# program to marry other components for other apps. This is one way to link a control system to a PC. Another was is through a Flash Program that is a Telnet Client or Server. The flash program would launch any other app. But no simple solution. AMX has a PowerPoint app. maybe you could tie a keystroke to that.
  • Options
    While not a direct answer to your question, Autonomic Home has a Netlinx module for controlling Windows Media Center via TCP/IP. Not as powerful perhaps as PowerDVD, but may be an option.

--John
  • Options
    bobbob Posts: 296
    It must be powerDVD control and it is pretty easy controlled from the keyboard. It gets autostarted in full screen and has the focus, the only thing I need is a program that I can TCP/IP to and send letters which should be emulated as keyboard presses on the computer. Sounds pretty easy.

The other way would be to install girder and let it emulate keaboard presses, however I don't want to fiddle with serial cable to control girder when the computer is connected to the network. Anyone know how to control girder from TCP/IP?
  • Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506
    bob wrote: »
    Hi, I am trying to figure out how it is best to send emulated keybord presses to a networked PC running windows XP?

i!-PCLink/Web provides this functionality: http://www.amx.com/products/i!-PCLink-Web.asp

I use it to control a media PC in my lounge room from my R4 remote.

From i!-PCLinkWeb2.axi which installs with it:

PCL_CMD_SEND_KEYS = 'SENDKEYS-' //send keyboard input :: ( SENDKEYS-<Keydata> ) i.e. ( 'SENDKEYS-Hello World' ).

I'd have to look through the documentation, but I'm sure it's possible to send CTL/ALT + key combinations.
  • Options
    Wow, this seems cool, however I checked the documentation and they don't mention anything about sendintg CTRL-key combinations!?
  • Options
    Bob, to use function keys you prefix the data in SENDKEYS- with standard notation for the function keys...

i.e. {CTRL}
    {ALT}
    {SHIFT}

so for CTRL 'F' you'd send

SEND_COMMAND dvWEB, "'SENDKEYS-{CTRL}F'"

HTH
  • Options
    Wow! The module which gets installed on the windows module is quite sophisticated. In other words there is no need fiddling with telnet and the like, it is a stanalone sever which even tries to connect automatically to the AMX master and sustain the connection.

I suppose before sending keypresses that the controlled program (powerdvd) must be set to input focus. Can the module achieve this? Is there a command to shutdown the computer?

Thanks much!
  • Options
    It is a very powerful utility, PCLinkWeb will send you the Windows Handler ID for every application and window and you can move focus, shutdown and reboot the PC with ease...
  • Options
    Jim, anything about Enter and Spacebar keys? Should I send {ENTER} and {SPACE}? Also the arrow Keys - the manual is short on this!

Thanks much!
  • Options
    AMXJeffAMXJeff Posts: 450
    bob wrote: »
    Jim, anything about Enter and Spacebar keys? Should I send {ENTER} and {SPACE}? Also the arrow Keys - the manual is short on this!
    Thanks much!

// Use ascii values...
    ENTER = 0x0d
    Space = 0x20
  • Options
    Arrow Commands

Anyone have the arrow commands figured out?
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    An important qualification for i!-PCWebLink is that it is only aware of windows opened as it is running and connected to your master. Make sure it connects before your application starts, or it won't appear in the list of windows to get handles for. I was playing with this just last week because Vista blocks the startup if Defender is running, and I had to put it in as a scheduled task ... but I couldn't figure out out to make it start minimized. I figured, "no problem, I'll have it minimize itself." No such luck, it's own window was not available in the list unless I minimized it manually then restored it. I dodged that bullet only by discovering it has a /hide parameter to start it minimized to tray.