Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Netlinx Studio and TPD

in the contract for the current job I am working, it states that they will recieve all copies of the surce code, not the token files, the real deal. I am not worried about that and I am not starting a "who owns the code" thread. I just spoke with one of their network engineers and not only do they want the source code, they also want copies of all of the AMX software to allow them to make changes such as add new IR files, change functions, etc. I seem to remember somewhere in the ACE agreement that it said only registered users were allowed copies of the AMX software. Am I mistaken?

Comments

• jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    in the contract for the current job I am working, it states that they will recieve all copies of the surce code, not the token files, the real deal. I am not worried about that and I am not starting a "who owns the code" thread. I just spoke with one of their network engineers and not only do they want the source code, they also want copies of all of the AMX software to allow them to make changes such as add new IR files, change functions, etc. I seem to remember somewhere in the ACE agreement that it said only registered users were allowed copies of the AMX software. Am I mistaken?
    You are correct. *You* (nor your company) can give them the software. And it's not in the ACE agreement, it's in the AMX Software License and Warranty Agreement.
    LICENSE GRANT.
    AMX grants to Licensee the non-exclusive right to use the AMX Software in the manner described in this License. The AMX Software is licensed, not sold. This license does not grant Licensee the right to create derivative works of the AMX Software. The AMX Software consists of generally available programming and development software, product documentation, sample applications, tools and utilities, and miscellaneous technical information. Please refer to the README.TXT file on the compact disc or download for further information regarding the components of the AMX Software. The AMX Software is subject to restrictions on distribution described in this License Agreement. AMX Dealer, Distributor, VIP or other AMX authorized entity shall not, and shall not permit any other person to, disclose, display, loan, publish, transfer (whether by sale, assignment, exchange, gift, operation of law or otherwise), license, sublicense, copy, or otherwise disseminate the AMX Software. Licensee may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the AMX Software.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT.
    You hereby acknowledge that you are an authorized AMX dealer, distributor, VIP or other AMX authorized entity in good standing and have the right to enter into and be bound by the terms of this Agreement.

TERMINATION.
    AMX RESERVES THE RIGHT, IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION, TO TERMINATE THIS LICENSE FOR ANY REASON AND UPON WRITTEN NOTICE TO LICENSEE. In the event that AMX terminates this License, the Licensee shall return or destroy all originals and copies of the AMX Software to AMX and certify in writing that all originals and copies have been returned or destroyed.

PRE-RELEASE CODE.
    Portions of the AMX Software may, from time to time, as identified in the AMX Software, include PRE-RELEASE CODE and such code may not be at the level of performance, compatibility and functionality of the final code. The PRE-RELEASE CODE may not operate correctly and may be substantially modified prior to final release or certain features may not be generally released. AMX is not obligated to make or support any PRE-RELEASE CODE. ALL PRE-RELEASE CODE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITH NO WARRANTIES.

LIMITED WARRANTY.
    AMX warrants that the AMX Software will perform substantially in accordance with the accompanying written materials for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of receipt. AMX DISCLAIMS ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH REGARD TO THE AMX SOFTWARE. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY GIVES LICENSEE SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS. Any supplements or updates to the AMX SOFTWARE, including without limitation, any (if any) service packs or hot fixes provided to Licensee after the expiration of the ninety (90) day Limited Warranty period are not covered by any warranty or condition, express, implied or statutory.

LICENSEE REMEDIES.
    AMX's entire liability and Licensee's exclusive remedy shall be repair or replacement of the AMX Software that does not meet AMX's Limited Warranty and which is returned to AMX. This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the AMX Software has resulted from accident, abuse, or misapplication. Any replacement AMX Software will be warranted for the remainder of the original warranty period or thirty (30) days, whichever is longer. Outside the United States, these remedies may not available. NO LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT SHALL AMX BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION, OR ANY OTHER PECUNIARY LOSS) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THIS AMX SOFTWARE, EVEN IF AMX HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. BECAUSE SOME STATES/COUNTRIES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO LICENSEE.

U.S. GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED RIGHTS.
    The AMX Software is provided with RESTRICTED RIGHTS. Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph ©(1)(ii) of The Rights in Technical Data and Computer Software clause at DFARS 252.227-7013 or subparagraphs ©(1) and (2) of the Commercial Computer Software Restricted Rights at 48 CFR 52.227-19, as applicable.

SOFTWARE AND OTHER MATERIALS FROM AMX.COM MAY BE SUBJECT TO EXPORT CONTROL.
    The United States Export Control laws prohibit the export of certain technical data and software to certain territories. No software from this Site may be downloaded or exported (i) into (or to a national or resident of) Cuba, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Iran, Syria, or any other country to which the United States has embargoed goods; or (ii) anyone on the United States Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Commerce Department's Table of Deny Orders. AMX does not authorize the downloading or exporting of any software or technical data from this site to any jurisdiction prohibited by the United States Export Laws.

This Agreement replaces and supersedes all previous AMX Software License Agreements and is governed by the laws of the State of Texas, and all disputes will be resolved in the courts in Collin County, Texas, USA. For any questions concerning this Agreement, or to contact AMX for any reason, please write: AMX License and Warranty Department, 3000 Research Drive, Richardson, TX 75082.
    You (or your company) accept(s) this every time you download any software, firmware or anything else from amx.com. I would show this to your managers / superiors and have them show it to your client.

Your client will probably need to speak with AMX about obtaining the software. It's not unheard of to have an end-user possess the software (there was one in my P1 class.) However with the changes of AMX's business model, this may be a thing of the past. The last thing AMX wants (or needs) are our clients who "demand" to have the software calling in for tech support (not that they'd get it), but still.

I would (or have your manager / boss) explain to the client that you are bound by AMX's license agreement and cannot share or give them the software under circumstances then further explain that they can have the source files, but not the development tools; in order to obtains those tell them to contact AMX directly. Even if your rep says it's okay, I wouldn't do it. There is no reason that anyone other than an "AMX dealer, distributor, VIP or other AMX authorized entity" should have the development software.
  • thanks for the reply. my memory is not as good as it used to be, but I did remember reading in one of AMX's agreements that the AMX software can't be just handed out to anyone. Before I got here, they did not even know how to spell "AMX." I find it odd that they actually want copies of the development tools. But, I'm just a worker bee doing what I'm told. They may not be happy, but I am going to tell them to call AMX for the procedures on what they need to do in order to obtain their own copies.
  • OK, now that I am in my motel room and can actually get on the net, thanks again for the reply. I knew I had read it somewhere but could not remember where, I thought it was the ACE agreement. I guess the important part was that I knew I am not supposed to just hand out copies of AMX software. I am just going to copy and past the AMX software license in my response to them as to why I am not going to give them the AMX development tools. I still think it is odd that they want it. For what its worth, I am going to give them all of my source code and let them deal with getting the AMX software to be able to open it. One thing I am holding back on, and again I don't want to turn this into a "who owns the code" debate, is the TP files. I drew all of the on and off states for the buttons as well as all of the graphics for the TP's. I am going to give them the TP files per the contract, but I am leaving the TP files password protected. Legally, since I did all of my work on a government owned laptop under a government contract, I suppose technically I can't keep them away from my graphics. But I am going to play it out and see what happens.
  • jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    I am going to give them the TP files per the contract, but I am leaving the TP files password protected. Legally, since I did all of my work on a government owned laptop under a government contract, I suppose technically I can't keep them away from my graphics. But I am going to play it out and see what happens.

Telling them "no" is fine. Telling them "yes" and then not complying is a terrible idea. Those TP files are their insurance that they won't have to pay somebody to redo from scratch if your business disappears. What exactly are you worried about? Consider looking into source code escrow (Iron Mountain is one company), which is using a third party to hold the source files. That way you don't have to worry about the customer prying into the files until there's actually a good reason for it (namely, you fail to exist or breach the contract established with the source escrow company)
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I have customers ask me for this all the time. I give them the source, no argument, and tell them if they want the programming tools, they have to get them from the manufacturer themselves (not just AMX clients, I've even had this request from Lutron clients). At first, I thought they were just looking for insurance to be able to migrate to another vendor, but I have yet to see that happen. Mostly, it's just a client's fear that something may happen and they would be high and dry without their own copy. It also makes them feel I have nothing to hide.
  • samossamos Posts: 106
    I give all my customers the source code and make them sign an EULA. The EULA states that I still own the software,and they receive a licence for it. It says that they can have a copy of the source code, but they can not sell it, or load it on any additional masters without expressed written consent from me. If they do not follow the rules of the EULA then I can revoke there licence. Now I know that they can just not let me know and do what they want but if I find out I can revoke the licence.

I had a customer who requested the development tools as well, he was able to call AMX and after paying to go to programmer one they gave him the software.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    samos wrote: »
    I had a customer who requested the development tools as well, he was able to call AMX and after paying to go to programmer one they gave him the software.
    Which I believe is the correct way to go. I remember going to P1 and there was an end-user in the class who had to pay to be there (the instructor wasn't too happy about it.) However, with the shake-up that's happening at AMX, I wonder if they'll still offer classes to end-users who are willing to pay.

Jeff, let us know how it turns out for you & the client.