Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

time not right

Hi All
I have an NI-2100 that will not maintain its time, I have even added it to my RMS and this unit lose's hours everyday. I could understand if the battery was dead but the power is always on and the unit still lags time 10-20 minutes / hr. Sounds like a bad internal clock to me. Has anyone else had this type of issue?

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Hi All
    I have an NI-2100 that will not maintain its time, I have even added it to my RMS and this unit lose's hours everyday. I could understand if the battery was dead but the power is always on and the unit still lags time 10-20 minutes / hr. Sounds like a bad internal clock to me. Has anyone else had this type of issue?

Not on a Netlinx master but once on an older Macintosh with the old on-the-board clock/battery chip. In that case it ran really fast. I attributed it to a bad Heisenberg compensators not protecting it from the effects of uncertainty.
  • Had the same problem with an NI3100. Time would lag behind about the same 10-20 minutes per hour. When I opened it up it was missing the snaphat battery on top of the timekeeper chip (shipped from the factory that way), but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. The unit stopped working after a while and I never got it repaired, so I don't know if the battery was the cause of the time problems.

--John
  • I attributed it to a bad Heisenberg compensators not protecting it from the effects of uncertainty.

Or sometimes the flux capacitors just go bad :)

--John
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Or sometimes the flux capacitors just go bad :)

--John
    Only when your warp core is operationg at less than 98% efficiency.
  • ericmedley wrote: »
    Only when your warp core is operating at less than 98% efficiency.
    Actually, this can be directly linked to the world-wide shortage of pure dilithium crystals. ;)
  • I'm going to hook my bunny up to it, only thing is I'll need to paint him pink.
  • Hi All

Can you call tech support and get this RMA'd? Let them know to send it to Rick in engineering. I'd like to understand what the issue is with this unit and make sure it isn't something more systemic.
  • I'll get it removed and sent back next week Rick. I looked again this AM and the ubit was off by 4 hrs since yesterday afternoon when I updated the time again.

P.S. my bunny is happy he doesn't have to be dyed pink.
  • Most likely your battery has gone bad. On a master, there are actually 2 clocks. The real-time clock and the run-time clock. The real-time clock is tied to the battery and is read at startup to initialize the run-time clock. Then, periodically during execution, the run-time clock is checkpointed back with the real-time clock to correct any drift. But if the real-time clock is not working (due to a dead or failing battery) the run-time clock will continue to drift.

The solution is to either a) replace the yellow snap-hat battery or b) switch the master to use Network time if the master has connectivity to the internet. Under Network time, the master will periodically connect to a Network time server on the internet and set it's time appropriately.