Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

What are IO ports for?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    vegastech wrote: »
    I would like to use the 12v output to trigger my Rotel Amp's power switching. The amp has a 12v input (which is actually anything from 3v to 30v). What would be the best way to accomplish this? I'm used to using a relay port, which the 700 doesn't have.

If you are stuck using an IO port, you have to use the IO to trigger a 5V coil relay (6 will likely work, depending on the relay), and pass your 12V through that.
  • Options
    hodeyp wrote: »
    thanks, is there any way to provide power from the i/o port itself?

yes there is a built in 12 Vdc output which you can trigger using the relay port, like what I did my lights, I have a 12Vdc Relay which triggers whenever there is a motion detected.
  • Options
    Anyone have a recommendation on a 5v coil relay type, brand, Part No., etc.? I have a Fry's nearby...
  • Options
    vegastechvegastech Posts: 369
    I finally got around to picking up a relay. It's a mini relay, 5v 500mA. Can someone direct me toward wiring this up to the I/o board so I can trigger the onboard 12v, and then sense the 5v at the same time? Or would it be just fine for my program just saying when the output is high, to assume the amp is on? The relay has a ground and 3 other terminals.
  • Options
    edgelitocedgelitoc Posts: 160
    hodeyp wrote: »
    I can understand the uses of serial, IR & relays but are IO ports used that regularly in automation projects?

What sort of control will it provide?

Another application of I/O which I recently did is the automation of PTZ camera on video conferencing. I use the 5vdc threshold voltage of an automatic mixer to trigger the Preset that was save on the camera.
  • Options
    Careful!
    vegastech wrote: »
    I finally got around to picking up a relay. It's a mini relay, 5v 500mA. Can someone direct me toward wiring this up to the I/o board so I can trigger the onboard 12v, and then sense the 5v at the same time? Or would it be just fine for my program just saying when the output is high, to assume the amp is on? The relay has a ground and 3 other terminals.

An I/O can only sink 200mA of current max to engage an external relay coil. Your 500mA relay is out of spec.
  • Options
    elytronicelytronic Posts: 51
    Bringing back this thread so I undrestand more how we can use the Output of the I/O port as a relay.

Can we pass current through it? What are the limitations?

We have to control 3 Russound R1250MC Amps which means 18 triggers that need 12VDC - they do not mention how much current.

Can we use the I/O ports also in addition to the relays? Can someone explain what is difference between them?
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    elytronic wrote: »
    Bringing back this thread so I undrestand more how we can use the Output of the I/O port as a relay.

Can we pass current through it? What are the limitations?

We have to control 3 Russound R1250MC Amps which means 18 triggers that need 12VDC - they do not mention how much current.

Can we use the I/O ports also in addition to the relays? Can someone explain what is difference between them?

I recommend you don't. Use them to drive an external relay. They are primarily made for sensing, and the output side is very limited. They only switch to ground, and are rated at 200 mA at 12V. Leaving off the problems with ground potentials between equipment, I doubt 200 mA is going to cut it to trigger your amps. For driving an external relay, however, they are just fine.